Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    Cyborg has been shown to be active sexually active with past girlfriends like Sarah Charles and Variant in the comics. In Justice League Rebirth he had a child from the future.
    Current Cyborg has nothing. His current status DC hasn’t been bothered to shed light on. All they’ve done is strip him of every previous advancement. Torn down without any build up. Typical for how they treat this character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You'd think they'd lean more into the tech/engineering side of Cyborg considering how most of those kinds of characters are White, and how much prevalent smart tech is in our lives
    Now you just being crazy! DC has promptly given that lane to the almighty bat deity. By circumstance and fact of science Vic should be the end all, be all of tech. Its laughable the amount of gymnastics involved to have batman show up Cyborg in tech and science. Cyborg start off a very bright student, then he was merged with advanced alien tech that assist him with analyzing, and interfacing, then there's the aspect of the mother box. Lol. They don't even let the brotha keep his meat and potatoes so he can have a chance at a sex life. Ya know feel like a man, like ALL the other male counterparts he interacts with.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Now you just being crazy! DC has promptly given that lane to the almighty bat deity. By circumstance and fact of science Vic should be the end all, be all of tech. Its laughable the amount of gymnastics involved to have batman show up Cyborg in tech and science. Cyborg start off a very bright student, then he was merged with advanced alien tech that assist him with analyzing, and interfacing, then there's the aspect of the mother box. Lol. They don't even let the brotha keep his meat and potatoes so he can have a chance at a sex life. Ya know feel like a man, like ALL the other male counterparts he interacts with.
    Honestly, considering how none of these relationships last in comics, maybe the other male heroes need to check themselves and focus on heroic. Honestly I don't see why that had to happen to Victor. But really, he could do so much more with his connection to alien technology. He doesn't even have to fight anyone. He could just build some new crazy technology and see how that changes the world, for better or worse. But, that would imply DC knows what to do with him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Current Cyborg has nothing. His current status DC hasn’t been bothered to shed light on. All they’ve done is strip him of every previous advancement. Torn down without any build up. Typical for how they treat this character.
    I don't expect DC to do anything with the character or the Titans for that matter in the next 2 years except for babysitting the new kids. When excitement over Red X dies down I expect for Teen Titans Academy to bomb similar to the DEO orphans. And there probably will not be an updated origin for Cyborg in regards to where he stands today similar to how he was treated in the Lazarus crossover with the Titans and Deathstroke. During that crossover Cyborg was in the back ground and there was no mention of how he became a member of the Justice League. When Cyborg was in the Justice League he was a supporting player but he still had quite a few moments. But in Teen titans Academy it looks like he will be an even lesser supporting character. So, for me I support Cyborg as a member of the Justice League than in Titans Academy.

Haven't read Titans Academy, but it doesn't seem like a book where the teachers/adult heroes/mentors are going to get much in the way of development, profile, or big moments.

Like, you don't read My Hero Academia for Eraser Head or Present Mic (teachers at a hero school, for those who don't know), and I doubt Titans Academy is going to be any better for Vic and the other adult Titans.

Which is a damn shame. Vic deserves so much better.

Fortunately Titans Academy doesn't seem like a book that's likely to last for long, and once it dies DC will have to find some other avenue to showcase the NTT roster, and given that AT&T reportedly is pushing hard for synergy and investing in characters across mediums, Vic might see better treatment then.

Maybe. But I'm feeling like Cyborg will only get his due when one of his fans breaks big and gets to write him. And I don't just mean someone who says they like Vic, I mean someone like us here, who have put time and effort into head canon world building.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm feeling like Cyborg will only get his due when one of his fans breaks big and gets to write him. And I don't just mean someone who says they like Vic, I mean someone like us here, who have put time and effort into head canon world building.
    I agreed initially but..... wasn't that what David Walker was ? I'll go so far as to say the problems start with leadership above the writing level.

Anyway as an archetype the Cyborg (type) character should be a writers joy. Keep creating folks
    Don't complain. Create.

Cyborg is likely done with regards to any growth. He’s been forced back to the minors (literally). Snydercut feels like the greatest and last hurrah for the character. Now DC can have their catchphrasing, comic relief back.
    The catchphrase isn't the problem. Fisher didn't think it fit the story of his version but they made it the emotional core of YJ Cyborg coming into his own and accepting himself.

How comedic he is depends entirely on the medium he's appearing in in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The catchphrase isn't the problem. Fisher didn't think it fit the story of his version but they made it the emotional core of YJ Cyborg coming into his own and accepting himself.

How comedic he is depends entirely on the medium he's appearing in in my opinion.
    The catchphrase is a problem in that it’s just so corny outside of Teen Titans Go. Live-action, including Doom Patrol, it’s cringy. The carryover from the toon to comic wasn’t appreciated which David Walker made known. He didn’t want to write it in but you know those out-of-touch folks at DC...

It's a stretch but it would be a cool if Doom Patrol's Cyborg got a spinoff series.

The catchphrase is a problem in that it’s just so corny outside of Teen Titans Go. Live-action, including Doom Patrol, it’s cringy. The carryover from the toon to comic wasn’t appreciated which David Walker made known. He didn’t want to write it in but you know those out-of-touch folks at DC...
    The catchphrase originated with 2K3 Titans (which was Cyborg's most popular media appearance), and as John Venus pointed out he had a variety of different storylines in that cartoon and wasn't just comedy relief. And YJ was pretty serious and still used it.

I personally don't see it as that cringy but I think to general audiences it's been acknowledged as Cyborg's catchphrases and would generally be expected in any media appearance (live-action, cartoons, games, etc.).

Walker didn't want to use "Booyah?"

I think it depends on the context. It's like Batman calling Robin 'old chum'. Might work for an older '66 or Bronze Age Batman but can you imagine Batfleck saying it or Keaton or Bale? I can accept a writer or actor not wanting to use 'Booyah' because it does not fit with the tone of whatever comic or show they are doing. Also, only Khary Payton can really pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    I agreed initially but..... wasn't that what David Walker was ? I'll go so far as to say the problems start with leadership above the writing level.

Anyway as an archetype the Cyborg (type) character should be a writers joy. Keep creating folks
    Yeah Walker was a legit fan, as I understand it. But he was working under the Didio regime, and we all know how those guys felt about the Titans. Walker's run was damned before it started.

I feel like we haven't seen enough from the new administration to really evaluate how they'll handle things, but looking at the drastic and immediate improvements Nightwing has seen (and Wally is headed in a better direction I guess? And Roy's back too), I'm hopeful that Vic could likewise get a break.

We know there are creators who like and are interested in the character. We know cyberpunk and similar subgenres are popular, and have been for a long time. We know that AT&T says they're interested in pursuing synergy and pushing characters across media platforms, and we know that Vic is on TTGO!, Doom Patrol, and Young Justice, all of which are long running series with good ratings and Vic is well received on each show. I haven't seen the Snydercut but I hear Vic was good there too.

So if AT&T puts their money where their mouth is, then Vic is essentially just one quality pitch away from getting a second chance.

It's easy to be cynical about that last sentence, admittedly. But we gotta keep in mind that Didio and Harras and all those other guys are gone. Maybe the new managers are just as bad as the old ones, we'll find out in time, but for right now, I think we have reason to be ever so slightly optimistic; Vic didn't get the kind of instant course-correction that Nightwing did, but that doesn't mean it won't happen at all. Time will tell, but in any case we shouldn't hold the mistakes of the previous management against the new guys, and the new guys deserve a grace period to get their feet under them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Seriously, though, where is Cyborg being comic relief?

I know he's funny in Teen Titans Go but everybody is in that cartoon. He wasn't particularly funny in any of the DTV animated films. I don't recall him being a joke in any of the new 52 Justice League comics I've read, barring a few pages at the beginning of Justice League Metal (They remain the only ten pages of the mini that I have read). He said "Booyah" a handful of times in Doom Patrol, even with Grid reporting that it qualified as a catch phrase a few episodes before he nearly beat his father to death after getting kidnapped by an agency trying to turn him into an asset. If he was cracking a bunch of jokes in the theatrical cut of Justice League I missed that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Seriously, though, where is Cyborg being comic relief?

I know he's funny in Teen Titans Go but everybody is in that cartoon. He wasn't particularly funny in any of the DTV animated films. I don't recall him being a joke in any of the new 52 Justice League comics I've read, barring a few pages at the beginning of Justice League Metal (They remain the only ten pages of the mini that I have read). He said "Booyah" a handful of times in Doom Patrol, even with Grid reporting that it qualified as a catch phrase a few episodes before he nearly beat his father to death after getting kidnapped by an agency trying to turn him into an asset. If he was cracking a bunch of jokes in the theatrical cut of Justice League I missed that, too.
    Or Young Justice: Outsiders where he was the angry, lashing out, teen of the NTT fame for most of the season until he finally realized how he could use his gifts to help others and became a hero.

I guess there was Justice League Action where they had that episode of him competing with Toyman in DC Street Fighter, but all the characters were kind of exaggerated versions of themselves there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess there was Justice League Action where they had that episode of him competing with Toyman in DC Street Fighter, but all the characters were kind of exaggerated versions of themselves there.
    I suppose that one counts, for his handful of appearances. Although I'd still point at Firestorm and Booster Gold (EDIT: And Plastic Man) as the ones that were treated as comic relief with everybody else just being a simplified and slightly tongue in cheek portrayal. Or even John Constantine, frankly
    Last edited by Thezmage; 04-12-2021 at 09:51 PM.