Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I still remember how he got replaced in his leading role by Jessica and a cat and people were more excited for them than the original cast. Is Odyssey Worth reading for content about him?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

We know that AT&T says they're interested in pursuing synergy and pushing characters across media platforms, and we know that Vic is on TTGO!, Doom Patrol, and Young Justice, all of which are long running series with good ratings and Vic is well received on each show. I haven't seen the Snydercut but I hear Vic was good there too.

So if AT&T puts their money where their mouth is, then Vic is essentially just one quality pitch away from getting a second chance.
    Believe it or not...i agree.

Ray Fisher , like him or love him ( and i appreciate him) , and the Snyder cut has done a lot to positively bring attention to the character.

I'm not holding my breath for that opportunity for the character but i'm not sure the door is closed on Cyborg completely. I say this even though John Stewart, whom i also like, is being used as his replacement.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post

Ray Fisher , like him or love him ( and i appreciate him) , and the Snyder cut has done a lot to positively bring attention to the character.

I'm not holding my breath for that opportunity for the character but i'm not sure the door is closed on Cyborg completely. I say this even though John Stewart, whom i also like, is being used as his replacement.
    I want to believe. New regime and all. But the only positive presentation for Cyborg has come in the form of the ZSJL and the suits in charge are actively trying to bury that.
    Last edited by Iconic; 04-13-2021 at 02:20 AM.

Ultimate Member

Because apparently we can only have one Black hero at a time, in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Because apparently we can only have one Black hero at a time, in 2021.
    I wonder when we'll get Naomi season 2.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder when we'll get Naomi season 2.
    I don't think it's been announced yet.

Although I was making more of a jab at the DCEU

Incredible Member

Cyborg or John Stewart can't be on the Justice League because Bendis put Naomi on the team. that's the implication. Only one African American hero at a time. Marv Wolfman was going to make Raven black on the New Teen titans 1980s comic series. Had he not changed his mind I wonder how different things could have been now?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    Cyborg or John Stewart can't be on the Justice League because Bendis put Naomi on the team. that's the implication. Only one African American hero at a time. Marv Wolfman was going to make Raven black on the New Teen titans 1980s comic series. Had he not changed his mind I wonder how different things could have been now?
    I didn't know she was going to be Black.

I don't get why a team can't have more than one Black character on it. We have a bazillion White ones in the JL

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I didn't know she was going to be Black.

I don't get why a team can't have more than one Black character on it. We have a bazillion White ones in the JL
    Yea. he considered it. titanstower.com website showed a photo of some of his old notes from the 80s.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    Yea. he considered it. titanstower.com website showed a photo of some of his old notes from the 80s.
    Cool. There doesn't seem to be as many Black heroines with mystical powers in comics, at least from what I've seen, so I think this would have been interesting and helped to diversify DC

Wolfman considered it but he thought having a black character whose powers manifested as a 'black shadow form' and who is also named after a bird with black feathers would have been tone deaf. 'Get it? She's black!' Though even afterwards, Raven and her mom never fully came across as white, at least to me anyway, more white passing. Perez even drew her in a sari at one point.

And yeah, not having more than one black character at a time, especially on the JL is a problem. I remember McDuffie speaking out against all the pushback he got for having more than one black character on the team and a decade later, not much has changed. Which reminds me, has Cyborg ever interacted with Steel or Mr Terrific?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Wolfman considered it but he thought having a black character whose powers manifested as a 'black shadow form' and who is also named after a bird with black feathers would have been tone deaf. 'Get it? She's black!' Though even afterwards, Raven and her mom never fully came across as white, at least to me anyway, more white passing. Perez even drew her in a sari at one point.

And yeah, not having more than one black character at a time, especially on the JL is a problem. I remember McDuffie speaking out against all the pushback he got for having more than one black character on the team and a decade later, not much has changed. Which reminds me, has Cyborg ever interacted with Steel or Mr Terrific?
    I feel like they have even if I can't pinpoint when they would have.

Mr. Terrific worked with Cyborg during Dark Nights Metal, plus Holt worked with Victor's dad so I think they have a connection
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

At the moment, my mindset is to have *no* expectations, good or bad. Just sit back, see what the new regime ends up doing, and go from there.

When DC was kicking Nightwing around, I said that all we needed was for one of Didio's bosses to notice how successful Nightwing was in his larger media appearances, notice the comic sales, and then yell at Didio for screwing up. It took longer than it should've, but that happened and now Dick has one of DC's biggest writers on the book.

We're in a similar position with Vic now, except the bosses already seem to know who's popular in larger media and are actively trying to capitalize on cross-market pollination and synergy. So I'm willing to give these new guys some time to get things rolling; maybe they'll be as bad as Didio was, or maybe they won't be, but either way I don't feel like I've seen enough from them yet to judge. So....no expectations.

Oh, and I think Bendis said somewhere that Naomi season 2 will come out this year. But we're gonna have to wait for Campbell to knock out those last couple issues of Far Sector, and then he's gotta get rolling on whatever new designs Naomi S2 requires before starting the actual issues, so I don't think we'll see that until this winter.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-13-2021 at 01:14 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Raven never struck me as white either.