Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    He already got a boost in popularity from ZSJL, didn't he. You think that would be enough to get him other projects
    No. I was referring to if the CRIPR gene editing technology itself would become popular and widely used in the population. If someone famous like Elon Musk became a cyborg using the editing tool then it would make headlines and the writers from DC would take notice. From my experience reading comics writers do not often do enough research on science and scientific theories. But when some thing become commonplace in the collective society that's when it gets noticed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    No. I was referring to if the CRIPR gene editing technology itself would become popular and widely used in the population. If someone famous like Elon Musk became a cyborg using the editing tool then it would make headlines and the writers from DC would take notice. From my experience reading comics writers do not often do enough research on science and scientific theories. But when some thing become commonplace in the collective society that's when it gets noticed.
    Oh, well, it's possible. Although considering how he can connect to technology, which is much more prevalent in our lives now, that should already get DC's attention to some extent

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Oh, well, it's possible. Although considering how he can connect to technology, which is much more prevalent in our lives now, that should already get DC's attention to some extent
    Geoff John had stated during an interview before the New 52 launched that he considered Cyborg the hero for the modern era because he was connected to technology 24/7 similar to how some are attached to their smart phones. But according to Ray Fisher, on the set of the Justice League movie, Geoff wanted him to play Cyborg like Quasimodo from the Hu*****ck of Notredame. This had me scratching my head but I wonder if this was an instance of Geoff bowing down to the executives at Warner Bros because most recently according to a published report, they took out some of the Flash scenes from Zach Snyders' cut of the Justice League because they didn't understand it. So maybe the executives that are in charge at Warner Bros and DC Comics are to blame for not making permanent changes to Cyborg like some fans want. These executives are probably just straight forward businessmen and/or accountants and not very creative or visionary. If cybernetic implants become common place then they can see it for themselves being applied to real life and agree to make the changes.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Geoff John had stated during an interview before the New 52 launched that he considered Cyborg the hero for the modern era because he was connected to technology 24/7 similar to how some are attached to their smart phones. But according to Ray Fisher, on the set of the Justice League movie, Geoff wanted him to play Cyborg like Quasimodo from the Hu*****ck of Notredame. This had me scratching my head but I wonder if this was an instance of Geoff bowing down to the executives at Warner Bros because most recently according to a published report, they took out some of the Flash scenes from Zach Snyders' cut of the Justice League because they didn't understand it. So maybe the executives that are in charge at Warner Bros and DC Comics are to blame for not making permanent changes to Cyborg like some fans want. These executives are probably just straight forward businessmen and/or accountants and not very creative or visionary. If cybernetic implants become common place then they can see it for themselves being applied to real life and agree to make the changes.
    Geoff was lying. This is the same guy who uses my fetishes irresponsibly.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

One of the quotes was from a puff piece PR interview, the other was from somebody who hated him, I wouldn't place a whole lot of weight on either quote. That being said, I don't see the disconnect between these two comments? The context makes it seem that the aspect of Quasimodo that Geoff was referring to is his relationship to his disability, which doesn't clash with being attached to your smart phone

If there is one thing that I wish adaptations would get rid of, it's Vic hating himself and his father. I'm sick of that being in every adaptation like it's sacred aspect. Maybe he was in shock and angry at first but then they make up.

The story shouldn't about Vic's prosthetics, the story should be about Victor Stone; world class athlete and genius who had his whole future ahead of him only for it to get taken away from him due to a freak accident and his journey to find meaning and purpose in his life afterwards despite every door getting shut in his face.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    If there is one thing that I wish adaptations would get rid of, it's Vic hating himself and his father. I'm sick of that being in every adaptation like it's sacred aspect. Maybe he was in shock and angry at first but then they make up.

The story shouldn't about Vic's prosthetics, the story should be about Victor Stone; world class athlete and genius who had his whole future ahead of him only for it to get taken away from him due to a freak accident and his journey to find meaning and purpose in his life afterwards despite every door getting shut in his face.
    Honestly I wouldn’t mind him taking a page from Mister Terrific and just have a lot of confidence and Bravado while having fun with his abilities. I mean he’s a living computer with near god like technology in an era surrounding digital and the internet, he should be having a blast.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

People don't seem to know what to do with Cyborg outside of his origin and his function on a team. What is a "Cyborg" story outside of those things? How is a "Cyborg" story different from a "Flash" or "Batman" or "Iron Man" one? What's his mythology and his role in the larger DCU?

Incredible Member

Doom Patrol just wrapped. I'm anxious to find out what's up with Cyborg in the upcoming season.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    People don't seem to know what to do with Cyborg outside of his origin and his function on a team. What is a "Cyborg" story outside of those things? How is a "Cyborg" story different from a "Flash" or "Batman" or "Iron Man" one? What's his mythology and his role in the larger DCU?
    DC has given cyberpunk, cyborg themes in the recent Bat Family issues like Batgirl and the current Batman so I'm sure they know. But they just prefer for him to be a Half Man/Half Robot I guess. Cyborg is a cyborg. For me it would be cool if he would just go around interacting with the internet of all things. There isn't a character in comics or on TV or film that's a cyborg going about regular everyday activities like going on dates, eating out at restaurants, buying groceries etc..

I actually have a fan fic idea in my head were he augments a regular magazine or newspaper while reading and swipes it similar to how a person swipes a touch scene on a cell phone.
    Last edited by abetterday; 06-23-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Honestly he should be a guy who thought his life after a certain event was going to be a tragedy but instead it became a more awesome adventure. Sure the dude nearly died and got to lose out on football but then he made amazing friends with the Titans, gained powers people could only dream of, joined the Justice League, and now is looked up to by young heroes who are starting out just like him. Victor should always be finding that life is awesome and he’s a big role to play in it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

I don’t have a problem with the self-hatred arc when Vic is first transformed. Him hating his dad and his new cybernetic body sets the stage for a powerful character arc of self-love and reconciliation. The problem is we’re constantly getting Cyborg origins. The DCEU, Young Justice, Justice League: War, etc.

These last few years Vic’s man vs machine complex has become his defining trait because all we get is origins but no follow up. The best Cyborg adaptations like the Teen Titans cartoon and Doom Patrol show us a Vic further along in his hero career who’s more well-adjusted.

We can see him deal with other struggles like him wanting to be a leader and founding the Titans East or his dating life. He still has his moments where he questions his humanity, but Vic isn’t defined by that dichotomy. Vic doesn’t have a significant character arc outside his origin in the SnyderCut, Young Justice (maybe they have plans for him next season), and the DCAMU. So all we’re left with is a guy who only has one kind of story, man vs machine.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honestly I wouldn’t mind him taking a page from Mister Terrific and just have a lot of confidence and Bravado while having fun with his abilities. I mean he’s a living computer with near god like technology in an era surrounding digital and the internet, he should be having a blast.
    Vic was like that in the cartoon which coincidently is by far the most beloved version of the character. He would’ve fared much better as a solo hero if DC embraced the more fun-loving, lighthearted elements of Cyborg’s past portrayals.

After roughly a decade with his cybernetics, the best friends he could’ve ever asked for, and a more streamlined design, Vic should be living his best life. He should also have bigger problems than his dad and self-image.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I don’t have a problem with the self-hatred arc when Vic is first transformed. Him hating his dad and his new cybernetic body sets the stage for a powerful character arc of self-love and reconciliation. The problem is we’re constantly getting Cyborg origins. The DCEU, Young Justice, Justice League: War, etc.

These last few years Vic’s man vs machine complex has become his defining trait because all we get is origins but no follow up. The best Cyborg adaptations like the Teen Titans cartoon and Doom Patrol show us a Vic further along in his hero career who’s more well-adjusted.

We can see him deal with other struggles like him wanting to be a leader and founding the Titans East or his dating life. He still has his moments where he questions his humanity, but Vic isn’t defined by that dichotomy. Vic doesn’t have a significant character arc outside his origin in the SnyderCut, Young Justice (maybe they have plans for him next season), and the DCAMU. So all we’re left with is a guy who only has one kind of story, man vs machine.
    I think in some adaptation (like in Young Justice), they go too far with that anger and self hatred. I would much rather adaptations tried something else with him.

Cyborg is pretty much done as a character most likely because of the Ray Fisher and Johns situation.

As far as live action, they’ve already established Vic on the Doom Patrol show so he’ll have a place there. But his push as a potential solo character is done for the foreseeable future. Cyborg is back to being a background Titan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Cyborg is pretty much done as a character most likely because of the Ray Fisher and Johns situation.

As far as live action, they’ve already established Vic on the Doom Patrol show so he’ll have a place there. But his push as a potential solo character is done for the foreseeable future. Cyborg is back to being a background Titan.
    Well, I hope the 2003 cartoon and Teen Titans Go! at least help him to retain a prominent position on the Titans. Even in the DCAMU, he's linked to mentoring teens. I'd love to see a Red Hood and the Outlaws style book, with just the trio of Dick, Vic, and Gar. It'd be a fun title if you had a good comedic writer and an artist like Kenneth Rocafort.