Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Remember when some here ignorantly claimed Ray Fisher was the worst actor in Justice League and because of that his role as “the heart of the film” was removed? ...Pepperidge Farm remembers...

Mr. Fisher made me a fan of Cyborg again.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    When you think about it, is it that different though. It's still a bit early to tell for sure but the current management appears to have their favorites just like those before them did. If so, does that make them all that different from their predecessors just because they seem to prefer characters from another era. There's only one GL book and only one Flash book with the former leads of those books not having their own titles, which is the same thing that previously happened to Kyle and Wally after Hal and Barry came back. Different editorial teams will naturally have different preferences towards certain eras and characters, what usually matters to a lot of fans is whether those people happen to share the same preferences that they do. That doesn't seem to make their mindset much different from those that came before them just because they want to push different characters from different eras. To segue back to Cyborg, he seems to be another example of that since the moment management changed he was immediately sent back to the Titans with no other plans for him. Not that the previous regime did him a lot of favors or anything, but at this point the character kind of feels above being a Titan anymore, yet he's clearly not a priority despite not coming from the era that was being favored before.
    Yeah, and what's hilarious is that there were so many people claiming that Vic needed to be on the Titans team, and only then could he shine and reach full potential....!!?? Okay to all those wannabe Vic fans we don't hear a peep about him being tossed into creative limbo right now.

Glad the Snyder Cut at least expanded on Vic's role in the story....But I still found him to be the second worst character out of the six. Second only to Superman and that's only because Clark was barely even a character in both versions of the movie. I don't know if it was Ray's fault or Zack's but I'm just...not feeling this version of Cyborg. At all. He's definitely not a version that I'd like to see have a solo movie, like they were originally planning. Though, I could say the same for pretty much everyone in that cast who's not Diana and Arthur.
    Last edited by Blue22; 03-30-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Glad the Snyder Cut at least expanded on Vic's role in the story....But I still found him to be the second worst character out of the six. Second only to Superman and that's only because Clark was barely even a character in both versions of the movie. I don't know if it was Ray's fault or Zack's but I'm just...not feeling this version of Cyborg. At all. He's definitely not a version that I'd like to see have a solo movie, like they were originally planning. Though, I could say the same for pretty much everyone in that cast who's not Diana and Arthur.

That's the first time i've read this perspective in all of the "reviews" i've read. I feel the exact opposite. I found Ray's Cyborg to the best of the characters portrayed on screen (at worst 2nd best). I'd like to say Dianas portrayal was the 2nd best but i'm not sure as something about the actresses accent ...doesn't sit right with me. I can't put my finger on it. Batman and Superman weren't unique in any way and the Flash was ....not my cup of tea.

At all.

I'd pay for a Ray Fisher solo Cyborg film faster than i would have paid for a Black Panther film if they were offered simultaneously.

With all of that said...i'm no fan of the visual portrayal of Cyborg primarily due to the multifaceted armor design. As someone that designs digitally it looks like a low resolution model made that way on purpose. Ugh. Ray Fisher was great imo though.

It's hard for me to imagine another actor in his place that would have been a better physical fit while also producing the same acting quality.
    Last edited by Customizer; 03-30-2021 at 04:56 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Ultimate Member

I really hope they change his design to be less overdesigned.

I didn't known anyone had a problem with Diana's accent

BANNED

I’m honestly surprised someone came out of the movie with Cyborg being their least liked character or even close to it. I could understand if you weren’t a fan of the angst but given he recently became Cyborg and his mother died I understood why the character would be like that.

I thought the highlight of the film was a “Father twice over.” I also enjoyed moment we saw of Vic actually being happy like when he has his first flight to me it was just as impactful if not more when Superman did it MOS because it wasn’t just him finding out he could fly or he had these cool powers it was him starting to seem like he was coming to terms with who he is now and seeing it as an eventual gift rather than curse.

I feel like he played the character he was given and in terms of what it was based off of I definitely thought he delivered. I won’t throw some of his other cast members I didn’t enjoy under the bus it’s not the thread for it but if I would have a nitpick at DCEU Vic was the way he walked kind of bothered me but I’d imagine he would of upgraded down the line of movies and kept getting more humanoid in maybe a more Terminator way than Robocop

Ultimate Member

IMO only Cyborg had an emotional arc actually connected to the film's plot

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Yeah, and what's hilarious is that there were so many people claiming that Vic needed to be on the Titans team, and only then could he shine and reach full potential....!!?? Okay to all those wannabe Vic fans we don't hear a peep about him being tossed into creative limbo right now.
    They are too busy cheering the last issue of Black Panther that gave them all those cameos.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They are too busy cheering the last issue of Black Panther that gave them all those cameos.
    Isn't that the only good thing that issue had going for it?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    but if I would have a nitpick at DCEU Vic was the way he walked kind of bothered me but I’d imagine he would of upgraded down the line of movies and kept getting more humanoid in maybe a more Terminator way than Robocop
    Ha! I noticed that too. It eventually went from interesting to....confident in my opinion heh.
    Don't complain. Create.

Incredible Member

I saw someone mentioned that Cyborg did a lot of physical acting to portray the Dr. Frankenstein's "monster" that Cyborg had become. They make a comparison that his posture, it is hunched over, as if mangled and deformed, reminiscent of Quasimodo. I guess that shows his mindset before he becomes more confident and self assured of his powers and Cyborg self. That being said, I still wish there was more human parts showing in the Cyborg look.

But Ray really sold the world regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I really hope they change his design to be less overdesigned.
    this is why I took a few years hiatus from talking about Cyborg because these are the same conversations we've been having since I made the first Cyborg respect thread a decade ago.

Heck, Cyborg's long-overdue solo runs actually took steps to address some of those criticism and DC ultimately chose to ignore them. I liked the David Walker Ivan Reis design it better positioned Cyborg to anchor the role DC had thrust him into and felt like a natural evolution given how they changed his origin and tech. Would have been interesting if we got to see that supporting cast grow and develop. However, that run was almost entirely ignored.

They reset with Semper, it was disappointing at first but Semper had some good ideas. I liked the story ideas and supporting cast he built around Cyborg. Very reminiscent of those great narrative arcs in Spider-Man TAS. I think we appreciated more about the run is that Semper actually used Victor's Cyberpathy a little bit, he didn't use his abilities to their full potential but at least he acknowledged them.

Outside of Bryan Hitch's JL run and a few other showings over the decade so, much of Cyborg's writing has been basic. He can't access something for some reason, he gets hacked or he just resorts to punching and blasting. Given how almost everything is digital these days Cyborg can approach every situation in a dozen different ways and the indifference or outright laziness writers approach his character with is depressing. You can't make him as strong as they supposedly made him on paper then simply ignore it when he's included in all these relevant storylines.

This is why I've largely given up on DC advancing Cyborg in a meaningful way. The potential for the character is beyond obvious, but the effort and execution from DC as a whole is embarrassing. I'm not even going to get into the problematic nature of the company only pushing one or two black heroes at the time, unlike their competition.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I wasn't the biggest fan of JLO for instance, but at least he was on another JL team in another JL title. By sending him back to the Titans, which is the secondary DC team on the pecking order, they obviously say that he is considered to be a secondary character again. I previously made the Martian Manhunter comparison, in terms of a classic character who's been there for a long time and yet is still more or less considered to be a secondary JL member, in reference to how Vic would likely be used from now on. He will be a permanent Titan, but every once in a while we might see him with the League, like with that RWBY/JL crossover or he would occasionally pop up in JL-related media here and there. But unlike with Vic, we don't usually tend to see J'onn on secondary teams if he's not in a JL book. We won't seen him with the Legion or the Suicide Squad, or if they want a Martian on the Titans, they would send M'gann over there, not J'onn. I wasn't much of a fan of Teen Titans Academy anyway, so that probably adds more to why I'm not a fan of what they've been doing with the character.

Concept art for Cyborg in the JL/RWBY crossover.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/9181675.html

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Concept art for Cyborg in the JL/RWBY crossover.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/9181675.html
    He looks kind of like a smith.