Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like I underestimated how popular Khary Payton's Cyborg was. I mean, he's part of why "Booyah" is even a thing, but in-spite of his looks it seems like he was really popular.
    This.

Where is he getting all this information from though? He went from saying it was a “comprehensive market study” to saying “my mind” that’s a bit sketched.
    Surveys are done all the time and in all sorts of forms.

What folks forget is Cyborg in the same boat as Storm and Falcon.
    When you are the DEFAULT POC-you can be top on lists because you have no competition.

Lets take Cyborg-what other black hero (let alone POC) did you see under the DC banner in all media? Before John Stewart and Justice League era-it was Cyborg.
    In terms of merchandise-CYBORG.

In terms of toys-it was Cyborg. Nubia got a figure in expectation of her appearance on Wonder Woman that never happened. Black Lighting got one in Total Justice and Steel had his from that movie.

So in this case I would say in terms of recognition Cyborg is 3rd. Khary Payton and everything else is a BONUS. Lets not forget wasn't Cyborg and Titans used in anti drug campaigns?

When Cap America Winter Soldier came out-more folks I met talked about Falcon more than Cap America. Marvel milked that.

Now we have the same thing with Cyborg and that movie. Why NOT milk it?

At WORST what could happen? We saw Falcon lead the Avengers & Mighty Avengers, 5 regular books, 1 statute as CA, 6 figures, have 2 solo, 2 minis, 1 one shot and now on a tv show as a lead. 13 trades with him as a lead? 7 solo volumes?

How many would take that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

When you are the DEFAULT POC-you can be top on lists because you have no competition.

Lets take Cyborg-what other black hero (let alone POC) did you see under the DC banner in all media? Before John Stewart and Justice League era-it was Cyborg.

In terms of toys-it was Cyborg. Nubia got a figure in expectation of her appearance on Wonder Woman that never happened. Black Lighting got one in Total Justice and Steel had his from that movie.

So in this case I would say in terms of recognition Cyborg is 3rd. Khary Payton and everything else is a BONUS. Lets not forget wasn't Cyborg and Titans used in anti drug campaigns?

When Cap America Winter Soldier came out-more folks I met talked about Falcon more than Cap America. Marvel milked that.

At WORST what could happen? We saw Falcon lead the Avengers & Mighty Avengers, 5 regular books, 1 statute as CA, 6 figures, have 2 solo, 2 minis, 1 one shot and now on a tv show as a lead. 13 trades with him as a lead? 7 solo volumes?

I might of misread what Mr. Walker said or what he was trying to say but what I got from the link to his tweet was he was claiming Cyborg at one point was the 3rd most popular DC Character across all demographics. I didn’t really take that as meaning 3rd most popular Black or ethnically diverse character. I thought it was a general statement claiming at one point Cyborg was potentially just behind what I’d assume was obviously Batman and possibly also Superman.

I’m more curious to the studies claiming that if that is the case. Because that would be really interesting if at one point that was the case. The switch from “studies” to “my mind” though makes me a bit skeptical though.

Incredible Member

This.

Every day and twice....every day

I feel like I underestimated how popular Khary Payton's Cyborg was. I mean, he's part of why "Booyah" is even a thing, but in-spite of his looks it seems like he was really popular.
    I think i need to takea look at Teen Titans Go (?) at some point. I've paid only a minute amount of attention to it due to the design/ art style but ...i liked the McFarlane figure (aesthetically speaking) that was released in the last year. I suppose looking at the source material wouldn't hurt.....
    Last edited by Customizer; 04-08-2021 at 05:28 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    The switch from “studies” to “my mind” though makes me a bit skeptical though.
    Did David Walker use the words "..my mind" regarding this study/survey? I'm genuinely asking as i didn't see that but maybe i missed it. Someone point that use of words out to me if so.
    Don't complain. Create.

I feel like his focus season with Brother Blood isn't as warmly-regarded as much as the other seasons, but might just be how I remember it.

I did like that Titans East two-parter.
    A cursory glance at the ratings for those eps indicate the Titans East two parter was one of the most highly rated eps. I believe the first part was also penned by Marv Wolfman.

I have seen some criticisms of Brother Blood because he wasn't 'as cool' as Slade but the show runners always intended to make him the opposite of Slade as much as possible. As for me, I love Brother Blood, he was entertaining and the fact that he grew so obsessed with Cyborg that he partially turned himself into one was of those darker moment of the show. 'Holy **** they did that?!' He's the closest Cyborg has to archnemesis.

What about Static Shock? Solo show. Loads of cross overs with other DC heroes. Critically acclaimed comic book title in the 90's written by an industry giant. DC may not have promoted him much in the comics but the show is beloved and people still remember him from it. In the public conscious, he's up there with Cyborg.

The way Vic was handled in JLO remains a question mark to this day. He CLEARLY was the leader of the team and then it was stripped away? Also, nice meeting you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    The way Vic was handled in JLO remains a question mark to this day. He CLEARLY was the leader of the team and then it was stripped away? Also, nice meeting you guys.
    I don't really understand it either, mind boggling.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Cyborg is likely done with regards to any growth. He’s been forced back to the minors (literally). Snydercut feels like the greatest and last hurrah for the character. Now DC can have their catchphrasing, comic relief back.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Cyborg is likely done with regards to any growth. He’s been forced back to the minors (literally). Snydercut feels like the greatest and last hurrah for the character. Now DC can have their catchphrasing, comic relief back.
    At least the movies could try to use him more because he's become more popular now. But the situation with Fisher and WB makes that unsure

Incredible Member

There is a hierarchy. Really when you think about it very few DC characters have had steady character development outside of the obvious- Batman, Superman, WW, Flash etc... DC is more or least about a handful of characters. Even though the Teen titans are super popular outside of comics they do seem muted in the comics world. They were DC's number one selling comic in the 80s but beyond that time there was no sustainable growth and other than Geoff Johns big name artists and writers were not assigned to the team. It's obvious that DC do not want the Titans to outshine Batman, Superman, WW, the Justice League etc.. and I believe that this is also a determining factor why Cyborg has not advanced more in terms of concept. Currently there are a significant number of cyberpunk games out now as well as a few movies like Ready Player. And they can easily franchise the character out with other cyborgs like Cyborg Superman. Last Summer's DC Special Cybernetic Summer was more encouraging than the current Titans Academy but there should be more. Honestly the only hope for good development for Cyborg and the rest of the Titans is for DC Comics to fold and their extensive stable of characters to be sold to other comic book publishers. This would definitely help the industry grow more.

and also Batman comic has now gone a bit cyperpunkish.

Ultimate Member

IMO it's a symptom of the older characters also not being allowed to evolve to new positions and to let younger ones succeed them

Why does it have to be either Titans or JLA for Vic? Like if he is on the JL he can't have his Titans history, if he is on the Titans then he can't be on the JL? Why can't he have been both a Titan and a JL member and someone who also does his own thing?

I don't consider the Titans to be demotion. The fact that the characters and the team is so popular despite DC's best attempts to sink them in the last two decades only proves how enduring they are as concepts. DC is afraid of these characters outshining the Big 7 and Vic's main advantage is that he doesn't have a mentor to be overshadowed by.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Why does it have to be either Titans or JLA for Vic? Like if he is on the JL he can't have his Titans history, if he is on the Titans then he can't be on the JL? Why can't he have been both a Titan and a JL member and someone who also does his own thing?

I don't consider the Titans to be demotion. The fact that the characters and the team is so popular despite DC's best attempts to sink them in the last two decades only proves how enduring they are as concepts. DC is afraid of these characters outshining the Big 7 and Vic's main advantage is that he doesn't have a mentor to be overshadowed by.
    Idk why he can't have both. Being in the Titans and the JL makes makes him more distinct.

I personally prefer Vic to get his pre flashpoint canon back.
    Cyborg was already from the JLA before new 52.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by universo View Post
    I personally prefer Vic to get his pre flashpoint canon back.
    Cyborg was already from the JLA before new 52.
    Do you still think he should be connected to the mother box?