Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Popular =/= Good. See Injustice for example.

Johns helped turn Tim into mini Bruce, turned Kon into a generic angry teen with jeans and t-****, turned Cassie from a smart, assertive tomboy into bland cheerleader archtype with a vanilla personality so he could push Kon/Cassie as a bland jock/cheerleader type couple and even Bart got a personality transplant during his run. He is also responsible for pushing the TT purely into Justice League Jr territory and acting like the team never faced any real danger before he took over even though they faced plenty during their YJ days.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Popular =/= Good. See Injustice for example.
    Bad =/= an attempt to sabotage. See every movie Zack Snyder ever made for example

Johns helped turn Tim into mini Bruce, turned Kon into a generic angry teen with jeans and t-****, turned Cassie from a smart, assertive tomboy into bland cheerleader archtype with a vanilla personality so he could push Kon/Cassie as a bland jock/cheerleader type couple and even Bart got a personality transplant during his run. He is also responsible for pushing the TT purely into Justice League Jr territory and acting like the team never faced any real danger before he took over even though they faced plenty during their YJ days.
    Exactly my point: he didn’t care for Young Justice and had no problem throwing that team under the bus to prop up the Teen Titans, in addition to making the book popular for the first time in over a decade by taking it over and treating it the same as every other book he wrote. If he had wanted to sabotage the Teen Titans all he had to do was let it continue as it was doing at the time. Instead he made it into a book that sold and people paid attention to in a way they hadn’t since Wolfman and Perez left

And in the long term, the franchise hasn't benefited from Johns approach and some characters have even reverted back to their pre-Johns characterization. Wolfman and Perez didn't muck up established characters out of a misguided sense of nostalgia in order to make NTT one of the best sellers of the time. Johns also a hypocrite because he doesn't mind paving over someone else's work but his changes must stick around forever and must be the basis for every single adaptation. That's why it was fitting that Bendis came in and gave Johns a taste of his own medicine by not giving a **** about Johns Titans and basing his YJ team on the Peter David YJ team. It's Johns being a fan of Barry, I'm sure he wants people to like the character and probably didn't intent to sabotage him or anything but his entire approach ended up mucking up Barry anyway.

Johns run on the Titans was pretty good imo, it wasn't without it's flaws but I loved it. Also didn't YJ disband because of the Graduation Day thing? I was in elementary school and not reading comics during that era so I don't know much Johns influenced that decision.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

These last few post illustrates exactly the problem suffered by Vic being TT allows for him to get shuffled to mid if not bottom deck cause Robin has to lead, or there a focus on teen love and angst. Those things don't ever involve Vic, in a meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Who made this? It looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    And in the long term, the franchise hasn't benefited from Johns approach and some characters have even reverted back to their pre-Johns characterization. Wolfman and Perez didn't muck up established characters out of a misguided sense of nostalgia in order to make NTT one of the best sellers of the time. Johns also a hypocrite because he doesn't mind paving over someone else's work but his changes must stick around forever and must be the basis for every single adaptation. That's why it was fitting that Bendis came in and gave Johns a taste of his own medicine by not giving a **** about Johns Titans and basing his YJ team on the Peter David YJ team. It's Johns being a fan of Barry, I'm sure he wants people to like the character and probably didn't intent to sabotage him or anything but his entire approach ended up mucking up Barry anyway.
    Not to derail this into a Geoff Johns thread but his stuff gets derailed after he leaves quite often. Where are half of the different colored lantern corps he introduced? How many issues after he left did the next writer break up Hal and Carol? Even while Johns was one of the people in charge of guiding DC's direction this was still the case.

I wish Vic had gotten an Other History issue. It would have been interesting to see his views on...everything.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post
    I wish Vic had gotten an Other History issue. It would have been interesting to see his views on...everything.
    I expect his character to be present yet sidelined for quite a while. At least until DC has a chance to release its next wave of films

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post
    yes.

Yes.

YES.

Absolutely yes. I'd pre order that in a heart beat.

Oh *goodness* would i like to read THAT.

I can't help but to imagine it would threaten the "psychic investments " made by some over the last decade .
    Last edited by Customizer; 07-28-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    These last few post illustrates exactly the problem suffered by Vic being TT allows for him to get shuffled to mid if not bottom deck cause Robin has to lead, or there a focus on teen love and angst. Those things don't ever involve Vic, in a meaningful way.
    You could always give Vic a love story. People shipped him with Jinx from the cartoon series. Just bring that over and have Bruce try to give him advice.

Or just give him his own Titans team. The show did it with Titans West.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-28-2021 at 05:05 PM.

I would say Robin being the guy who 'has' to be the lead is more of a problem with YJ show where they had Aqualad outright tell Robin that he is just keeping the seat warm until the latter was ready. I never quite warmed up to the show the same way everyone else did. NTT and 2003 TT show was much more balanced when it came to giving each individual member the spot light and Cyborg even went on to lead Titans East in the show. Cyborg's romantic life often took a backseat to his struggles of being half machine /half human but he's had quite a few romantic partners nonetheless. Unlike other Titans I think Cyborg could use some more romantic drama in his life.

If we are talking cartoons, Cyborg was also paired with Bumblebee whom I thought was a more interesting pairing than Cyborg and Jinx. There was also the cavewoman he kissed who may or may not have been Sarah Simms ancestor. Though I can't see Bumblebee as a viable partner for him in the comics since she is with Mal Duncan.

As far as comics, I like his Sarah Charles, a STAR labs intern as his love interest:

If not her then, Cynthia Adams:

Who first appeared in Teen Titans Spotlight #13 (1987) which pits Cyborg against Two-Face. Notable for being the first DC story that J Michael Straczynski wrote for DC. It's actually an interesting tale: https://about-faces.livejournal.com/6566.html
    Last edited by John Venus; 07-28-2021 at 06:22 PM.

Incredible Member

So i know it's still early but i'm curious as to whether any mild associations with Cyborg have crossed the minds of Cyborg supporters who are also reading Mister Miracle ?
    They both wield mother boxes for example.
    Last edited by Customizer; 08-07-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Incredible Member

I don't have any associations but for me it just shows that maybe Cyborg should separate from the Motherbox and develop an original concept to be just has powerful. By not being tied to the New Gods he doesn't have to take a back seat when DC decides to use the Motherbox concept for other characters.

Brrrrr.....the Motherbox 'upgrade' is just another example of empty promises made about the character.

He got turned into a glorified wall charger for Darkseid in that last JLD movie.