Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's him.
    Glad he's gone. No place for bigotry in the MCU or elsewhere (assuming the reports are correct)

Not sure if DC has an analogue

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Marvel has handled PoC and (more recently) legacy characters better than DC did.

To me, it feels like DC cuts off the push of PoC and legacy characters at the slightest pushback from a certain section of the fan base. Marvel, even if you disliked the way they handled the push or the story choice, seems to ignore that portion of the fan base.
    To an extent. It seemed like there was a lot of reconciling going on during the Secret Empire era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I would let loose a hale & hearty LOL if Ray gets cast as Adam Warlock in a later film.

Would he want to do gold makeup?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You think DC is more regressive or just afraid of rocking the boat?
    I think DC is more afraid or rocking the boat, but certain story decisions they made over the years(not necessarily related to PoC) make me wonder if they are regressive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To an extent. It seemed like there was a lot of reconciling going on during the Secret Empire era.

Would he want to do gold makeup?
    Yeah, Secret Empire era felt like Marvel trying to please two audiences and failing to please anyone. The 'Steve Rogers is secretly HYDRA' angle was a bad idea to begin with.

Yeah, Secret Empire era felt like Marvel trying to please two audiences and failing to please anyone. The 'Steve Rogers is secretly HYDRA' angle was a bad idea to begin with.
    I think that was probably Marvel's biggest problem of that era.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Falcon and Storm are pretty much Marvel's versions of Cyborg-they are consistently seen in outside media. War Machine joined that group in the late 2000s. Miles as the most recent.

DC has tried but NEVER follows up with it. I don't know if they worry about offending folks or what. We are PAST feelings now. Marvel stopped caring about POC backlash and Dc needs to do the same.

It's about building a body of WORK now.

I am going to ask EVERYONE this and might do a thread to see what folks think-

Name me 5 Cyborg centric stories that helped build or define the character and why. This is what a LOT of POC at DC are missing.

Snyder Cut Cyborg-if I am DC and seeing all this praise-I know a movie is out of the question (of sorts)-why can't there be a Black Label Snyderverse Cyborg book? You have an audience. Have Ray help on it. It will help build up his resume. Snyder fans got those other 2 JL movies in book form.
    IMO The 5 stories that define Cyborg are his first encounter with Deathstroke when he kidnapped Sarah Simms. His battle with Brother Blood after he killed his girlfriend from High School. At the end of the New Teen Titans first run he tried to become human again with synthetic skin in a 3 part mini-series. The Tales of the New Titans # 1 from 1982, which was an easter egg in the Snyder Cut of the Justice League. David Walker's series-he was able to turn human but no reason was given why. John Semper Jr.'s run which in my eye is the greatest. Cyborg found a recorded not from his Father who thought that he may be a walking Zombie. Cyborg questions if he has a soul. He meets a Jazz singer who taught him to improvise on the fly which proves that he did indeed had a soul because computers do not do improvisation. His ability to improvised helped him when he was in the Virtual Universe that he got sucked into. Semper's run could have been a basis for him to get some of the personality from the cartoon Cyborg. I can totally see him becoming a singer or musician on the side and his love of music could lead to his most popular storyline outside of comics which is the Night Begins to Shine. My all time favorite story was the two-parter after John Semper jr.'s run written by Kevin Grevioux.

But it definitly seem like DC just doesn't care. Not only have they kind of pushed Cyborg to the side but other cyborg's as well like Variant and Cyborg girl.

Incredible Member

Glad he's gone. No place for bigotry in the MCU or elsewhere (assuming the reports are correct)

Not sure if DC has an analogue
    Almost certainly.

Ike and his ilk (especially from from his generation) aren't the exception. Top down hierarchy creates a specific type of system (and sycophant). Hydra comes to mind lol.

Moving on from that

I'm happy that Ray Fishers Cyborg has been well received. The character is one of a handful that has so much potential.

Characters like Booster Gold , Cyborg and Adam Strange all have the designs to work (with very minor tweaking) but need the push and right creative teams. I'd say Cyborg a lot more so than the others .
    Don't complain. Create.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post
    Almost certainly.

Ike and his ilk (especially from from his generation) aren't the exception. Top down hierarchy creates a specific type of system (and sycophant). Hydra comes to mind lol.

Moving on from that

I'm happy that Ray Fishers Cyborg has been well received. The character is one of a handful that has so much potential.

Characters like Booster Gold , Cyborg and Adam Strange all have the designs to work (with very minor tweaking) but need the push and right creative teams. I'd say Cyborg a lot more so than the others .
    Let's hope so

I think DC is more afraid or rocking the boat, but certain story decisions they made over the years(not necessarily related to PoC) make me wonder if they are regressive.
    DC's done more and better with their poc characters in shows and movies than Marvel did pre-Black Panther and even after to an extent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DC's done more and better with their poc characters in shows and movies than Marvel did pre-Black Panther and even after to an extent.
    Oh? How so? (not disagreeing, just asking)

Astonishing Member

Oh? How so? (not disagreeing, just asking)
    John Stewart, Static and Cyborg went mainstream because of the cartoons they were featured in. Black Lightning became much more well known because of his TV show.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They did better with their PoC characters in the cartoons and movies, but comic wise DC has always lagged behind Marvel in that regard. Cyborg, a well liked character had his comic push stalled and undone, while Marvel kept on pushing Miles, who was unpopular(whether the reason's for all the hate and criticism directed at his character back then was legit or a result of the usual suspects lashing out) at the time. The Into the Spider Verse movie made Miles mainstream. If Marvel had quit pushing Miles before the movie due to critics, I doubt ItSV would have had the same impact on his character.

Ultimate Member

Marvel has handled PoC and (more recently) legacy characters better than DC did.

To me, it feels like DC cuts off the push of PoC and legacy characters at the slightest pushback from a certain section of the fan base. Marvel, even if you disliked the way they handled the push or the story choice, seems to ignore that portion of the fan base.
    They don't really ignore. They let the story finish.

Think how bad Black Panther, Black Panther spinoffs, America and others have been. Yet all those have done well as trades. Black Panther WOW trade outsold Dc Rebirth books INCLUDING Batman (well after the BP movie came out in Batman & Flash's cases).
    Marvel knows they are going to get SOMETHING back by letting stuff run its course. Because as we will see with Sam Wilson CA run-interest go up because of a certain person from that run.

McDuffie had his JLA run planned from issue 18-50. He TOLD everyone the big guns would be back by them. Push back only saw him go to issue 37 (and only Bruce & Hal was gone by then).

Ultimate Member

They did better with their PoC characters in the cartoons and movies, but comic wise DC has always lagged behind Marvel in that regard. Cyborg, a well liked character had his comic push stalled and undone, while Marvel kept on pushing Miles, who was unpopular(whether the reason's for all the hate and criticism directed at his character back then was legit or a result of the usual suspects lashing out) at the time. The Into the Spider Verse movie made Miles mainstream. If Marvel had quit pushing Miles before the movie due to critics, I doubt ItSV would have had the same impact on his character.
    Miles when he first showed up STAYED in his own book for it's entire run. Aside from Spider-Men-you did not see him in other books. 2011-2013

After that he had a quick mini, Ultimates and his own book. 2014-2015

Then Secret Wars 2015

Then Avengers, his own book, Spider-Men 2 and Champions. 2016-2021

Marvel did it right. Much like we saw with Harley-she was NOT shoved in everyone's face (like Deadpool that came later ). They took their time.

At MOST Miles has been seen in at MINIMUM 2 books at most 3-5 depending on events.

Ultimate Member

John Stewart, Static and Cyborg went mainstream because of the cartoons they were featured in. Black Lightning became much more well known because of his TV show.
    I think DC generally had a head start with those characters due to being overall more popular in the media than Marvel was

So generally DC has lagged despite getting a head start