Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They don't really ignore. They let the story finish.

Think how bad Black Panther, Black Panther spinoffs, America and others have been. Yet all those have done well as trades. Black Panther WOW trade outsold Dc Rebirth books INCLUDING Batman (well after the BP movie came out in Batman & Flash's cases).
    Marvel knows they are going to get SOMETHING back by letting stuff run its course. Because as we will see with Sam Wilson CA run-interest go up because of a certain person from that run.

McDuffie had his JLA run planned from issue 18-50. He TOLD everyone the big guns would be back by them. Push back only saw him go to issue 37 (and only Bruce & Hal was gone by then).
    Hopefully Sam gets a second push with Falcon and Winter Soldier coming out and being positively recieved.

Astonishing Member

Miles when he first showed up STAYED in his own book for it's entire run. Aside from Spider-Men-you did not see him in other books. 2011-2013

After that he had a quick mini, Ultimates and his own book. 2014-2015

Then Secret Wars 2015

Then Avengers, his own book, Spider-Men 2 and Champions. 2016-2021

Marvel did it right. Much like we saw with Harley-she was NOT shoved in everyone's face (like Deadpool that came later ). They took their time.

At MOST Miles has been seen in at MINIMUM 2 books at most 3-5 depending on events.
    Agreed, Miles push was handled well. Haters gonna hate.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think DC generally had a head start with those characters due to being overall more popular in the media than Marvel was

So generally DC has lagged despite getting a head start
    Yeah, that's the best way to describe things.

The only black Marvel character who had major roles in cartoons until recently was Storm(she was part of the main cast in the 90s X Men and X Men Evolution, supporting in Wolverine and the X Men). Miles had a major supporting role in all of the most recent Spider Man cartoons, Falcon was supporting for most of Avengers Assemble, Black Panther was supporting in Avengers: Earth Mightiest Hero and a major character/ main cast when he finally appeared in Avengers Assemble and the last season was centered on him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Yeah, that's the best way to describe things.

The only black Marvel character who had major roles in cartoons until recently was Storm(she was part of the main cast in the 90s X Men and X Men Evolution, supporting in Wolverine and the X Men). Miles had a major supporting role in all of the most recent Spider Man cartoons, Falcon was supporting for most of Avengers Assemble, Black Panther was supporting in Avengers: Earth Mightiest Hero and a major character/ main cast when he finally appeared in Avengers Assemble and the last season was centered on him.
    The thing is the XCU wasted Storm. Despite my complaints I got more out of Monica Rambeau in the MCU after 2 movies than Storm in 6.

So what's the solution for DC? Diversity is becoming more important so how should DC address it?

Cyborg was great in the Snyder Cut. Too bad DC squandered the character’s push of they could be taking advantage of this great portrayal. Though I still hate the movie armor/tech.

If I was Ray Fisher I would be on the phone with Marvel Studios right now seeing if they can get him a role in the MCU.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Would he want to do gold makeup?
    Why not? Half the Guardians cast spend hours having make-up/FX prosthetics applied. Bradley & Vin have the best gigs (Pratt has to avoid getting fat).

Sure, Adam will lack the Thanos history in the MCU, but the actor may also play the secondary character, the Magus.

I'm thinking someone with his theater background would have a blast playing Adam, and possibly the Magus (plus, the 70s afro might return).

I'm saying this as someone who wants Matt Smith to play Adam Warlock.

Astonishing Member

The thing is the XCU wasted Storm. Despite my complaints I got more out of Monica Rambeau in the MCU after 2 movies than Storm in 6.

So what's the solution for DC? Diversity is becoming more important so how should DC address it?
    DC should address things by giving their PoC characters a sustained push. Cyborg got shafted in favor of Jessica Cruz in JLO and the recent Outsiders book which was initially said to focus on Black Lightning was basically a proxy war between Batman and Ras. The worst part was BL needing upgrades from Batman to do things he was already capable of doing before that book.

Ultimate Member

DC should address things by giving their PoC characters a sustained push. Cyborg got shafted in favor of Jessica Cruz in JLO and the recent Outsiders book which was initially said to focus on Black Lightning was basically a proxy war between Batman and Ras. The worst part was BL needing upgrades from Batman to do things he was already capable of doing before that book.
    Ok. You think they'll actually do that, given Cyborg's potentially growing popularity

Astonishing Member

Ok. You think they'll actually do that, given Cyborg's potentially growing popularity
    Maybe. Cyborg is supposed to be a part of the upcoming Titans Academy series, but I'm not sure if he(or any of the other Titans characters)will get focus there. More importantly, I have serious doubts that book might be good.

Ultimate Member

NO. Unless they are ordered to and depending on who gets the gig to find a creative team for a solo/mini or he's in the hands of an actual person that WILL do it.

Remember Duke Thomas was suppose to be in Batman's book. After the first and part of the second arcs-he was down to cameos and was gone from the book in 2018.
    Every other partner or sidekick Batman had-was INCLUDED in those adventures. That is how Tim Drake got 2 minis and later his ongoing in 5 years of his first appearance.

Also Archie wanted to push Chuck Clayton and MADE those writers include him in stories. Going by Fernando Ruiz, artist who worked at Archie during that time-Chuck was background GALORE in stories. Aside from Alex Simmons and the well received Cartoon Life of Chuck Clayton (STILL SOLD OUT at Archie)-that character got buried. 12 years since he was in the main Archie book. And to add INSULT-when Waid was doing Archie-he put CHUNK from Flash in the book and folks think that is Chuck Clayton. Yes Chunk was in that book and called by NAME by Archie.

A push means nothing if there is no effort behind it by everybody.

Snyder mentioning how upsetting Cyborg’s diminished role in the theatrical release was to him

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgu8Ne3Kde0

The J-man

Ultimate Member

Maybe. Cyborg is supposed to be a part of the upcoming Titans Academy series, but I'm not sure if he(or any of the other Titans characters)will get focus there. More importantly, I have serious doubts that book might be good.
    Is that like Avengers Academy?

NO. Unless they are ordered to and depending on who gets the gig to find a creative team for a solo/mini or he's in the hands of an actual person that WILL do it.

Remember Duke Thomas was suppose to be in Batman's book. After the first and part of the second arcs-he was down to cameos and was gone from the book in 2018.
    Every other partner or sidekick Batman had-was INCLUDED in those adventures. That is how Tim Drake got 2 minis and later his ongoing in 5 years of his first appearance.

Also Archie wanted to push Chuck Clayton and MADE those writers include him in stories. Going by Fernando Ruiz, artist who worked at Archie during that time-Chuck was background GALORE in stories. Aside from Alex Simmons and the well received Cartoon Life of Chuck Clayton (STILL SOLD OUT at Archie)-that character got buried. 12 years since he was in the main Archie book. And to add INSULT-when Waid was doing Archie-he put CHUNK from Flash in the book and folks think that is Chuck Clayton. Yes Chunk was in that book and called by NAME by Archie.

A push means nothing if there is no effort behind it by everybody.
    That's too bad.

I think DC has thrown in the towel with Cyborg and are going back to John Stewart as their main Black hero. He seems to be getting a push while Vic isn’t as prominent as he was during the New 52. Think a lot of that has to do with Geoff being gone, and Didio too

Incredible Member

It's sad that they only see Cyborg as a Black hero when he's the most relevant today with the current advances in modern digital technology like bitcoin and nft. I would like to see a Cyborg arc around how he would confront the current debate about the energy consumption of bitcoin and nft. I have no faith in Teen titans Academy showcasing Cyborg in any way. They're trying to sell New Coke inside a can of Classic Coke.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I think DC has thrown in the towel with Cyborg and are going back to John Stewart as their main Black hero. He seems to be getting a push while Vic isn’t as prominent as he was during the New 52. Think a lot of that has to do with Geoff being gone, and Didio too
    There should be more than one black DC hero.

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    It's sad that they only see Cyborg as a Black hero when he's the most relevant today with the current advances in modern digital technology like bitcoin and nft. I would like to see a Cyborg arc around how he would confront the current debate about the energy consumption of bitcoin and nft. I have no faith in Teen titans Academy showcasing Cyborg in any way. They're trying to sell New Coke inside a can of Classic Coke.
    True. He'd be more useful than ever now. He can control machines after all. And DC needs some heroes to compete with Marvel's numerous tech heroes!