Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

The same was true back in 2011 when they made him more powerful than ever but never capitalized on it and frankly kept him backgrounded. His main storylines during the new 52 were around his father and his humanity. Not to mention despite his crazy technopathy he'd be getting ripped to shreds or hacked half the time. He had moments here and there.

I'd say the writers who were more consistent in giving him a positive and equal representation to the rest of the Justice League were Brian Hitch and his solo series writers John Semper and David F Walker, which were a long time coming (4 years later then they should have been).

I'm not gonna get into the Cyborg design since I've been saying the same thing ad nauseam for like a decade and DC isn't going to do anything new, but at least in terms of power and capabilities, he felt like a true peer of the Justice League in the Snyder Cut. Master of his domain just like everyone else.

Might as well keep his Titan and Justice League ties since for whatever reason DC won't take the necessary steps to write Cyborg the way Johns had positioned him in the New 52. Frankly even Geoff Johns should have done more if he truly wanted Victor to inhabit that space. Don't get me wrong you can comb over the last 15 years and find feats and moments for Cyborg but outside of a handful of stories, most aren't that deep.
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

So all in all he fares better outside the comics than inside them

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ok. You think they'll actually do that, given Cyborg's potentially growing popularity
    No. Cyborg’s push ended, he’s off the JL and back with the Titans which is a downgrade however way you put it. Given that they told Snyder they had plans for John Stewart, he will be the one most likely getting a push as premiere black hero at DC. Add in that WB and Fisher are seemingly done with each other and the Snyder Cut basically marks the end of the period in time where DC was pushing Cyborg as a big deal.
    So all in all he fares better outside the comics than inside them
    Animated Cyborg I would say is better. Injustice Cyborg sucks, he’s evil, they explicitly say he has no genitals and Poison Ivy makes fun of him for it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    No. Cyborg’s push ended, he’s off the JL and back with the Titans which is a downgrade however way you put it. Given that they told Snyder they had plans for John Stewart, he will be the one most likely getting a push as premiere black hero at DC. Add in that WB and Fisher are seemingly done with each other and the Snyder Cut basically marks the end of the period in time where DC was pushing Cyborg as a big deal.

Animated Cyborg I would say is better. Injustice Cyborg sucks, he’s evil, they explicitly say he has no genitals and Poison Ivy makes fun of him for it.
    Yea Fisher’s relationship with WB ending on such a poor note really is the straw that breaks the camel’s back. At the very least I think the chances were high of Cyborg getting some sustained push as a solo IP if he were given some kind of HBO Max spin-off after an appearance in the Flash and/or the Snyder Cut. But it’s clear John Stewart is the priority for DC, which makes sense considering how John has no connection to the Snyderverse and like Cyborg already has a bunch of fans. Positioning him as the lead of a new GL film also distinguishes that film from the original movie with Reynolds. It’s a smart move by DC.

Cyborg back on the Titans is only a downgrade if the writing on that franchise doesn’t improve, so right now everything is murky. DC does not have a strong record with the team post-Wolfman and since this new book is gonna focus on the kids I question if we’ll even be getting much content with Cyborg moving forward. I’d like to think that DC’s big push towards diversity post-Black Panther doesn’t skip over the Titans franchise, because while Vic may not be the most popular non-white Leaguer he’s by far the most popular and visible non-white Titan so hopefully that ensures some basic level of respect from editorial. Ideally if he’s not in the League or headlining his own solo he’d be leading a satellite Titans team like Titans West (like back in the day), but in the current market and direction that doesn’t seem likely.

Ultimate Member

Um, I haven't played the game, but what!?

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea Fisher’s relationship with WB ending on such a poor note really is the straw that breaks the camel’s back. At the very least I think the chances were high of Cyborg getting some sustained push as a solo IP if he were given some kind of HBO Max spin-off after an appearance in the Flash and/or the Snyder Cut. But it’s clear John Stewart is the priority for DC, which makes sense considering how John has no connection to the Snyderverse and like Cyborg already has a bunch of fans. Positioning him as the lead of a new GL film also distinguishes that film from the original movie with Reynolds. It’s a smart move by DC.

Cyborg back on the Titans is only a downgrade if the writing on that franchise doesn’t improve, so right now everything is murky. DC does not have a strong record with the team post-Wolfman and since this new book is gonna focus on the kids I question if we’ll even be getting much content with Cyborg moving forward. I’d like to think that DC’s big push towards diversity post-Black Panther doesn’t skip over the Titans franchise, because while Vic may not be the most popular non-white Leaguer he’s by far the most popular and visible non-white Titan so hopefully that ensures some basic level of respect from editorial. Ideally if he’s not in the League or headlining his own solo he’d be leading a satellite Titans team like Titans West (like back in the day), but in the current market and direction that doesn’t seem likely.
    Well, they have a bunch of white heroes yet only one black hero can be pushed at a time. How's that fair? Why are these two mutually exclusive?

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

Stewart, Static (they had a Static Shock logo during the conference call about HBO Max so they’re making progress on that), and maybe Coates & Abrams Black Superman reboot if that happens are the big diversity pushes we will see on the film side. Ironically given Snyder managed to beat the odds and release his Cut to positive critical reviews, it’s Fisher’s vendetta with Hamada that will likely prevent any follow up to the Snyderverse. Hamada sure as hell isn’t going to want to continue with Cyborg after he came for his job.

We’ll see if Titans Academy is received well, but c’mon, going from the League to the Titans is a downgrade. The League is the Superhero Team at DC, it’s not like Marvel where the Avengers, F4, and X-Men are all prestige teams. The League are the big guns who deal with the real threats, and everyone else gets the scraps. Plus I don’t expect Vic to get much focus, it will be the kids, Nightwing, Starfire, and Beast Boy/Raven with Cyborg in last in order of importance. That’s how it’s historically been and I don’t see that changing.
    Um, I haven't played the game, but what!?

Well, they have a bunch of white heroes yet only one black hero can be pushed at a time. How's that fair? Why are these two mutually exclusive?
    Poison Ivy taunts him for being only “half a man”. He’s a Regime supporter aka a fascist because NRS don’t give a **** about him. They redeemed Flash and Hal but not Vic.

To be fair they’re not pushing just one black hero. Right now:
    John Ridley is writing the origin story of Jace Fox the Next Batman and then there will be a 12 issue mini about Jace Batman in his prime
    Brandon Easton is writing a Mister Miracle mini following Shilo Norman
    Bendis has put Naomi on the League and there will be a S2 follow up to her once Campbell finishes Far Sector
    Redjack is writing GL starring John Stewart, but Jo is also going to be showing up there as a side character
    Williamson has Calvin Ellis aka President Superman slated to play a big part in his Infinite Frontier mini which seems to be slated to spin off a bunch of other series once it finishes (hopefully a Justice Incarnate mini)
    And there’s hints about other black heroes as well. PKJ has hinted that Steel may be getting a big push after the Superevent in Sept. Right now there’s more black creators getting work at DC and black characters getting pushes than there have been in like... ever? Shame Vic is missing out though.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

John Ridley is writing the origin story of Jace Fox the Next Batman and then there will be a 12 issue mini about Jace Batman in his prime
    Bendis has put Naomi on the League and there will be a S2 follow up to her once Campbell finishes Far Sector
    Redjack is writing GL starring John Stewart, but Jo is also going to be showing up there as a side character
    Williamson has Calvin Ellis aka President Superman slated to play a big part in his Infinite Frontier mini which seems to be slated to spin off a bunch of other series once it finishes (hopefully a Justice Incarnate mini)
    And there’s hints about other black heroes as well. PKJ has hinted that Steel may be getting a big push after the Superevent in Sept. Right now there’s more black creators getting work at DC and black characters getting pushes than there have been in like... ever? Shame Vic is missing out though.
    Okay when the push back shows up-will all that still be true this time next year?

History says they will find a way to screw it up.

maybe Coates & Abrams Black Superman reboot if that happens are the big diversity pushes we will see on the film side.
    There is a reason Cap America and Black Panther fans are HAPPY he's leaving. It Lois or some new female character looks like Storm.....you might want to duck for cover.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Okay when the push back shows up-will all that still be true this time next year?

History says they will find a way to screw it up.
    Historically I’d agree with you, but now all of the old guard are gone. Didio, Harras, a crap ton of the old boys club are out at DC. Johns doesn’t have any control over the comics. Two of the higher ups at DC are black, and one is the woman in charge of DC as a whole. I think we can feel a little optimism for once. We’ll see if the new bosses are the same as the old, but for now they are putting their money where their mouth is. Just a shame Vic missed out, although even he might not be sidelined for long, and he still has the excellent Doom Patrol show for rep.
    There is a reason Cap America and Black Panther fans are HAPPY he's leaving. It Lois or some new female character looks like Storm.....you might want to duck for cover.
    Lol I know! And you know I know, I’ve been in that BP thread celebrating too! But maybe we’ll be surprised, and if it’s crap, I have S&L for good Superman rep, and for black rep we’ll have Stewart, Static, Vic in Doom Patrol, Tim Drake in Titans, and maybe some other stuff.

Ultimate Member

Poison Ivy taunts him for being only “half a man”. He’s a Regime supporter aka a fascist because NRS don’t give a **** about him. They redeemed Flash and Hal but not Vic.

Why did they put that in the game? I mean, the optics of making DC's most prominent African-American hero a fascist aren't great!

It's good they're promoting multiple black heroes. But I still think both Cyborg and John Stewart can both be promoted at once

Why did they put that in the game? I mean, the optics of making DC's most prominent African-American hero a fascist aren't great!

It's good they're promoting multiple black heroes. But I still think both Cyborg and John Stewart can both be promoted at once
    To be fair Cyborg isn’t the only Black character in the game. Black Manta and Firestorm are also playable. Vixen, Black Lightning and John Stewart are playable too but as skins for Cheetah, Raiden and Hal Jordan respectively

Because they don’t give a damn about him or anyone except Batman. I mean Christ they took DC’s premiere female hero and dumped all over her. And I’ll be seething until my dying day about how they treated Supes. But they don’t care about Vic and are clearly being forced to include him, so they take shots at him wherever they can. Really hate how Tom Taylor writes Vic though.

For a single brief arc in Scott Snyder’s JL we had both John and Vic at the big table. Sucks they didn’t continue that, they had WW in JL and JLD. But it sounds like the behind the scenes stuff for JLO was a mess.

Ultimate Member

Because they don’t give a damn about him or anyone except Batman. I mean Christ they took DC’s premiere female hero and dumped all over her. And I’ll be seething until my dying day about how they treated Supes. But they don’t care about Vic and are clearly being forced to include him, so they take shots at him wherever they can. Really hate how Tom Taylor writes Vic though.

For a single brief arc in Scott Snyder’s JL we had both John and Vic at the big table. Sucks they didn’t continue that, they had WW in JL and JLD. But it sounds like the behind the scenes stuff for JLO was a mess.
    that's unfortunate. I like Batman a lot but DC has so many good heroes.

It's the same in the movies. DC took too long to adapt it's characters and Marvel beat them to the punch.

BANNED

Definitely agree with have Blade and Black Panther in the Avengers book right now. I definitely don’t see why it has to be a pick one or the other type situation.

My honest hope is that Titans can be elevated to the level of The Justice League with Cyborg as the head of The Titans.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Definitely agree with have Blade and Black Panther in the Avengers book right now. I definitely don’t see why it has to be a pick one or the other type situation.

My honest hope is that Titans can be elevated to the level of The Justice League with Cyborg as the head of The Titans.
    Titans has been around long enough to be a top level team, hasn't it. I mean, Marvel has many teams, so I think DC could use a few teams to help boost characters like Cyborg

Have two black heroes ever had prominent positions in the JL at once? I can't remember if that's happened.

BANNED

Titans has been around long enough to be a top level team, hasn't it. I mean, Marvel has many teams, so I think DC could use a few teams to help boost characters like Cyborg

Have two black heroes ever had prominent positions in the JL at once? I can't remember if that's happened.
    Weren’t Vixen and Black lightning on the Meltzer JL run?

Regardless I’d honestly argue the issue with Titans is poor handling by DC you have to elevate them and make them seem more important in the DC universe rather then a second string JL. Or have them aspire to want to be the JL. The whole initial point of the group i imagined at one point was to stand on their own.

I think JL Odyssey should of been branded as a Titan book instead with the same roster to an extent I’d probably boot Azrael for Raven or Beast Boy. But keep the plot pretty much the same so they’re out in some grand scheme of things doing some crazy Multiversal things you’d see the JL doing.