Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Cyborg as the lead of JLO was a novel idea and I wish it sold better and had a stronger hook.
    The whole premise of JLO meant that this series had a pretty limited lifetime, I don't think that series was really supposed to last longer than it did.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    I don't have any associations but for me it just shows that maybe Cyborg should separate from the Motherbox and develop an original concept to be just has powerful. By not being tied to the New Gods he doesn't have to take a back seat when DC decides to use the Motherbox concept for other characters.
    Isn't taking the back seat the issue here in every situation or team? The motherbox addition should have had writers scrambling to write the character beyond what he is known for BUT I haven't seen any expansion of his world. JLO actually put him in close proximity to Darkseid and nothing happened even there.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Isn't taking the back seat the issue here in every situation or team? The motherbox addition should have had writers scrambling to write the character beyond what he is known for BUT I haven't seen any expansion of his world. JLO actually put him in close proximity to Darkseid and nothing happened even there.
    I think that he just didn't had any follow up after he joined the Justice League in the new 52. According to JLO Darkseid created Cyborg's Motherbox. This is one of my favorite scenes in the JLO-Cyborg analyzing various aspects of the Universe which is something no one else besides him can do. This scene makes him far smarter than Batman, Lex Luthor, Mr. Terrific or anyone else in the DC Universe.

jlo.jpg

If I had my way I would create a mythology for Cyborg that connects him to the fibonacci sequence of the Earth and the Universe. I would also have his cybernetic brain convert everything that he sees to binary from denary(decimals) which is how computers work. Cyborg should be able to control some aspect of the physical world through their fibonacci sequence and manipulating their physical aspects once he converts it into binary code from denary(decimals).

I think that he just didn't had any follow up after he joined the Justice League in the new 52. According to JLO Darkseid created Cyborg's Motherbox. This is one of my favorite scenes in the JLO-Cyborg analyzing various aspects of the Universe which is something no one else besides him can do. This scene makes him far smarter than Batman, Lex Luthor, Mr. Terrific or anyone else in the DC Universe.

jlo.jpg

If I had my way I would create a mythology for Cyborg that connects him to the fibonacci sequence of the Earth and the Universe. I would also have his cybernetic brain convert everything that he sees to binary from denary(decimals) which is how computers work. Cyborg should be able to control some aspect of the physical world through their fibonacci sequence and manipulating their physical aspects once he converts it into binary code from denary(decimals).
    Sort of like how Neo's power allowed him to evolve from having mastery of computer generated reality into both that and our reality. Deep stuff! It's a shame that fans can produce more thought provoking changes and upgrades for Vic than writers will even venture to. This made me also think of another inherent problem is you have one brilliant writer to explore these things, they would have stay on a looooong time. Most of the top writers seem to lack the courage and/or agency to write these things for Vic.

I think a big problem was (maybe still is, under the new regime but time will tell) that the secondary, B-list titles tend to be used as a proving ground for upcoming talent. You're new to DC, you get stuck with writing Cyborg, Nightwing, Supergirl, whatever. If you prove your talent, you get bumped up to Batman. If you don't have the chops to write the Big Name books, you get shuffled around to fill whatever hole the schedule needs filled, and the guy who comes in after you gets to ignore your work and start from scratch because they're proving themselves too and DC wants to see what they can do, and not just how they'll build off your work.

And this is a big part, I think, of why the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer. We'd need someone like Morrison, Snyder, Williamson, or one of DC's other big name writers to say "I'm gonna write Cyborg for as long as I want to, I'm too big a name for you to tell me no, and in return for having a B-list book to play in I'll write whatever idiot Bat Event you want me to."

And of course, that writer has to have ideas for Vic that they can't simply slide into a creator-owned project at Image, where they'll retain creator rights and have a better chance of seeing larger media adaptations, which will also pay them more than a DC adaptation will, because they still have ownership rights.

I think I'm saying that Vic needs DC's entire hierarchy to collapse before he'll get a honest shot at legit, lasting world building and investment.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It used to be that struggling titles were often given to young, up and coming creators in the hopes that fresh voices will bolster the title. I remember Bob Layton talking about how he was new to the industry and that they gave him and Michelinie Iron Man because the title was on the verge of cancellation and they produced 'Demon In the Bottle' which defines Iron Man to this day. Even DC's Vertigo had it's roots in Karen Berger giving young, up and coming usually British writers a chance to work on lesser known characters and giving them full freedom to do whatever they want. That's how we got classics like Gaiman's Sandman, Moore's Swamp Thing and Morrison's Doom Patrol.

Alright if Victor is now adult superhero, Titan, and Justice League member then this kid from Academy, whoever he is, needs to be his future sidekick. Look at him he’s perfect to hang around Victor, he’s like a mini him and there is a lot you could play with there as someone whose in Victor position in the modern day.

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Cyborg already has a sidekick in Exxy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Alright if Victor is now adult superhero, Titan, and Justice League member then this kid from Academy, whoever he is, needs to be his future sidekick. Look at him he’s perfect to hang around Victor, he’s like a mini him and there is a lot you could play with there as someone whose in Victor position in the modern day.

Does this character have a name or is he just a background character? he's not seen in any other preview page. I have to say that I'm very dissapointed in the way Sheridan wrote Cyborg. I thought that he could bring a bit of innovation to his powerset since he wrote Transformers animated movies in the past. But it seem that all media just does not portray cyborgs correctly. They only show them being killing machines or morphing their arms into guns and cannons. A cyborg should bring what a computer does into the real world. On touch screen computers you can drag and swipe items. What if Cyborg could do something similar? If he sees a criminal from a distance committing a crime he could just swipe him away a couple of times similar to how you can drag and swipe an object on a touchscreen. The fact that their are no characters on tv that's a cyborg shows that people are just not understanding exactly what a cyborg is and how they can be incorporated into a story.

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

jlo.jpg

That'd make him too much of a God Mode Marty Stu. We already have Superman. I appreciate the concept but that's not going to work. Cyborg already suffers from "I just want to be normal"-itis.

Speaking of which, here's my origin for Cyborg:
    Victor Stone was born without a right arm, which made him unable to play sports he loved watching on TV. He made up for it by excelling at math, thanks to hanging around his mother and father's workspace, STAR Labs. Eventually, at the age of 18, Ryan Choi offers Elinore and Silas Stone the opportunity to give Victor a mechanical replacement at Newbury Hospital. They go to get it, but the mechanical replacement becomes infected with biological technology, which changes and engulfs Victor's body. He faints during the process, and when he wakes up, the scientists who're helping start expressing their sorrow and pity for him, but he just writes it off, saying "What are you, crazy? This is way better!" Of course, he soon realizes it's not that better, as his new body gives him an unfair advantage to the other students and thus he can't play sports; however, he still has a whole plethora of abilities that keep him debating on whether his cybernetics are great or not.

At one point, Cyborg's body begins to reject his cybernetics (sort of like what happens to the Bionic Woman in one of the episodes of her show), and he suffers a meltdown, screaming "YOU RUINED ME!!" to his parents like Zeno Robinson's version. Of course, this happens after he masters his powers, and his parents have to show him the Cyberverse to get him to calm down (and fix his body's reaction to his cybernetics.)

Did I mention Elinore Stone remains alive in this version? I'm done with having the mother die. Jonny Quest did it, too many DC characters do it, I just want BOTH the parents alive. Or, if they have to, DEAD.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Incredible Member

Well I submitted artwork for the contest last year and Cyborg wasn't there so I doubt that it was because of his recent comments on twitter. Maybe they're phasing him out even before? I don't know. But why does it seem like everyone is hating on Fisher when he's only trying to make things better for the actors on set. His main grievance with Harmada is that he would not allow the complaints that Fisher made on behalf of himself and OTHER actors to go up the chain of command. If that's true then things for actors on set will not be good. There's a thread on reddit.com dc cinematic about Fisher's comments that's 100 % negative against him. This kinda of blows my mind.

cyborgcomplaint.jpg

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Well I submitted artwork for the contest last year and Cyborg wasn't there so I doubt that it was because of his recent comments on twitter. Maybe they're phasing him out even before? I don't know. But why does it seem like everyone is hating on Fisher when he's only trying to make things better for the actors on set. His main grievance with Harmada is that he would not allow the complaints that Fisher made on behalf of himself and OTHER actors to go up the chain of command. If that's true then things for actors on set will not be good. There's a thread on reddit.com dc cinematic about Fisher's comments that's 100 % negative against him. This kinda of blows my mind.

cyborgcomplaint.jpg
    Speaking of which, where do you submit art for the contest this year? I have a Brainiac drawing I want to submit.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    That'd make him too much of a God Mode Marty Stu. We already have Superman. I appreciate the concept but that's not going to work. Cyborg already suffers from "I just want to be normal"-itis.

Speaking of which, here's my origin for Cyborg:
    Victor Stone was born without a right arm, which made him unable to play sports he loved watching on TV. He made up for it by excelling at math, thanks to hanging around his mother and father's workspace, STAR Labs. Eventually, at the age of 18, Ryan Choi offers Elinore and Silas Stone the opportunity to give Victor a mechanical replacement at Newbury Hospital. They go to get it, but the mechanical replacement becomes infected with biological technology, which changes and engulfs Victor's body. He faints during the process, and when he wakes up, the scientists who're helping start expressing their sorrow and pity for him, but he just writes it off, saying "What are you, crazy? This is way better!" Of course, he soon realizes it's not that better, as his new body gives him an unfair advantage to the other students and thus he can't play sports; however, he still has a whole plethora of abilities that keep him debating on whether his cybernetics are great or not.

At one point, Cyborg's body begins to reject his cybernetics (sort of like what happens to the Bionic Woman in one of the episodes of her show), and he suffers a meltdown, screaming "YOU RUINED ME!!" to his parents like Zeno Robinson's version. Of course, this happens after he masters his powers, and his parents have to show him the Cyberverse to get him to calm down (and fix his body's reaction to his cybernetics.)

Did I mention Elinore Stone remains alive in this version? I'm done with having the mother die. Jonny Quest did it, too many DC characters do it, I just want BOTH the parents alive. Or, if they have to, DEAD.
    Nice story but you're totally changing Vic's origin. Vic only became an athlete to rebel against his Father who pushed him to achieve in academics.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    Speaking of which, where do you submit art for the contest this year? I have a Brainiac drawing I want to submit.
    I'm not sure. maybe try to do an internet search of DC Fandom?