Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

A Teen Titan when not in Batman's shadow

My, oh, my-- I can't tell who this is without a faceplate, said no one ever
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-03-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Yeah he doesn't need the face plate, he can just get the cyber punk look with glowing eye but the early young justice look was fine too

Are those...hard light shoulder pads ?

Has Cyborg ever had a romantic history with Starfire? I feel like that could be a far more interesting route to take than for her to be back with Dick. What do you all think?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Has Cyborg ever had a romantic history with Starfire? I feel like that could be a far more interesting route to take than for her to be back with Dick. What do you all think?
    It's a team and franchise dynamic that makes sense, but fans would call bro code at this point. Nightwing and Starfire is carved into the group reader consciousness.

imo it felt like JL: Odyssey was heading that way before the creative turnover and the changed in the title's direction. I think Snyder tried to at least nod to it by having them express how much they've bonded from their time in space (during Death Metal). I really would love if that relationship could be explored. people will probably try to use Dick to cockblock (ironic) but honestly if Dick can hope from chick to chick it truly doesn't matter what Starfire does. Unfortunately given Sheridan's whole Cybeast idea and the fact that they're clearly setting up some kind of tension between Dick and Kori, I don't think Vic getting a romance is on the table at all right now, let alone one with Kori. I'm still rooting for it to happen one day.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I was wondering about the "Nightshine" Dimension, does anybody think it could be adapted outside of TTG into a serious animated movie and which team could do it Cyborg with Titans or Cyborg with the League?
    I think you could turn the Nightshine into a fun story within a serious setting and tell a good story with viable stakes. So....yes, I think you can but I dunno how "serious" you'd call it. Hell I have the whole thing as a major part of my head canon pitch for Vic so obviously I got a bias.

It's a team and franchise dynamic that makes sense, but fans would call bro code at this point. Nightwing and Starfire is carved into the group reader consciousness.
    Oh yeah, this is forbidden territory. It shouldn't have happened with Roy and it most definitely shouldn't happen with any of the other NTT.

I like this quite a bit actually.

I'd change the face lines so they follow the general outline of the faceplate a bit more, but the idea isn't bad.

But this is kinda hyperbolic. Don't get me wrong, this is a damn fine design and the first that has made me think a Cyborg without the faceplate might be viable. I like it quite a bit but a casual wouldn't recognize who that is. I mean, at least add an emblem.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-05-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

As a fan not stuck in perpetual rewind, I think that there's lots of potential in a Vic and Starfire relationship. I see someone of her temperament and passion bringing lots of things to the surface for Vic to discover about himself. There's room for to be a long term steady thing while still allowing for twist and turns.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think you could turn the Nightshine into a fun story within a serious setting and tell a good story with viable stakes. So....yes, I think you can but I dunno how "serious" you'd call it. Hell I have the whole thing as a major part of my head canon pitch for Vic so obviously I got a bias.

But this is kinda hyperbolic. Don't get me wrong, this is a damn fine design and the first that has made me think a Cyborg without the faceplate might be viable. I like it quite a bit but a casual wouldn't recognize who that is. I mean, at least add an emblem.

Smallville had no issue with showing a Cyborg without it.

If we are going to use that excuse shouldn't EVERYONE be in the same outfits that the public saw them in"

Wonder Woman has been in 4 movies and I don't see any Satin underwear like Lynda Carter's outfit had.

Miles Morales has HOW MANY OUTFITS in Miles Morales SPiderman? We are getting at least 4 figures with him dressed as Into the Spiderverse outfit that was on many posters.

That is an excuse DC has used to keep Cyborg looking like an outcast.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Smallville had no issue with showing a Cyborg without it.
    And nobody who doesn't remember that specific episode would be able to identify Vic from a screenshot.

If we are going to use that excuse shouldn't EVERYONE be in the same outfits that the public saw them in"
    Modernized versions, but yes. And by and large, that's exactly what happens.

Wonder Woman has been in 4 movies and I don't see any Satin underwear like Lynda Carter's outfit had.
    But you *do* see the blue skirt, the bracers, the tiara, the red boots and gold "W/bird" emblem on her chest. Your example is just tweaking the details on the design, not completely changing the design and it's main aesthetics.

That is an excuse DC has used to keep Cyborg looking like an outcast.
    This is basic marketing.

And let's be real here; the only things needed for DC to treat Vic like an outsider in recent years is the fact that he wasn't around eighty years ago and is black. It's not like Vixen, Black Lightning, Amazing Man, John Stewart, Steel, or most of DC's other great black heroes got treated much better.

I don't deny that the faceplate makes for bad optics when Vic is the only black dude on a team of perfect looking white people. Nor do I deny the problems the faceplate is an easy scapegoat for, like the emasculation of black men in fiction. But the faceplate isn't the problem, it's just an easy target to blame the problems on. Taking it away won't fix anything.

I get that some people have a problem with the faceplate and I understand why. But taking away Vic's most well known visual marker is not going to help the character. It's not gonna help him be written better, it's not gonna help him get another solo, it's not gonna make DC invest in him more. All it will do, is make the character less recognizable, which will only have negative effects on the brand.

I suggested in last year's appreciation thread that if you want to get rid of the faceplate, you need to introduce a viable, well made emblem first, and let that start to seep into the public's awareness, *then* start to phase out the faceplate.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Oh my Lord this is GREAT!
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Yeah, would be cool if the faceplate was optional and he used it during battles but not everywhere you see him.

Oh yeah, this is forbidden territory. It shouldn't have happened with Roy and it most definitely shouldn't happen with any of the other NTT.
    I liked it when Starfire was with Captain Comet. I don't mind her getting with Jason, Roy or even Vic if the relationships are compatible. It's not like DC is really pursuing the Dick/Kory romance anyway. They are currently more focused on the Dick/Babs relationship.

Starfire helped Dick shake off Batman's stoicism and open up about his emotions. I can see her doing the same for Vic by helping him accept himself and overcome the self hatred that writers often saddle him with.

And nobody who doesn't remember that specific episode would be able to identify Vic from a screenshot.

Modernized versions, but yes. And by and large, that's exactly what happens.

But you *do* see the blue skirt, the bracers, the tiara, the red boots and gold "W/bird" emblem on her chest. Your example is just tweaking the details on the design, not completely changing the design and it's main aesthetics.

This is basic marketing.

And let's be real here; the only things needed for DC to treat Vic like an outsider in recent years is the fact that he wasn't around eighty years ago and is black. It's not like Vixen, Black Lightning, Amazing Man, John Stewart, Steel, or most of DC's other great black heroes got treated much better.

I don't deny that the faceplate makes for bad optics when Vic is the only black dude on a team of perfect looking white people. Nor do I deny the problems the faceplate is an easy scapegoat for, like the emasculation of black men in fiction. But the faceplate isn't the problem, it's just an easy target to blame the problems on. Taking it away won't fix anything.

I get that some people have a problem with the faceplate and I understand why. But taking away Vic's most well known visual marker is not going to help the character. It's not gonna help him be written better, it's not gonna help him get another solo, it's not gonna make DC invest in him more. All it will do, is make the character less recognizable, which will only have negative effects on the brand.

I suggested in last year's appreciation thread that if you want to get rid of the faceplate, you need to introduce a viable, well made emblem first, and let that start to seep into the public's awareness, *then* start to phase out the faceplate.
    Are we going to act like there are so many Black heroes running around in DC verse that someone wouldn't be able to pick out Vic? There is absolutely no reason not to take that chrome crap off with a can opener...forever! Good writer and artist would have no problem with making Vic who he is. First place to start is to have him present, in use, and simply called by his name. There's a difference in writing and narrations, and marketing toys. I believe that his fans that are readers would easily make him out if his look was evolved and upgraded.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Are we going to act like there are so many Black heroes running around in DC verse that someone wouldn't be able to pick out Vic? There is absolutely no reason not to take that chrome crap off with a can opener...forever! Good writer and artist would have no problem with making Vic who he is. First place to start is to have him present, in use, and simply called by his name. There's a difference in writing and narrations, and marketing toys. I believe that his fans that are readers would easily make him out if his look was evolved and upgraded.
    https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Cyborg_(Smallville)

I don't see a face plate. Yet folks know who that is.

Iron Man has HOW MANY outfits?

Same with both Peter and Miles.

Falcon has how many action figures in his red/white, movie, ultimate marvel, avengers cartoon and video games?

Nobody has an issue telling who they are.

The only other black male Cyborg running around hasn't been seen in 30 years.