Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I HATED how she was written.

spoilers:
    She straight up kills two of the CotV.
    end of spoilers
    To give a benefit of the doubt, this is Synchs retelling, and he outright brings up how individuals remember things differently, and it's been a very long amount of time, establishing the notion of an unreliable narrator. (Though you'd think he'd have gotten to know Laura by then.)
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I HATED how she was written.

spoilers:
    She straight up kills two of the CotV.
    end of spoilers
    I liked that part. Ha. It was my favorite part of the whole issue. X-23 is fast, efficient and just downright lethal when she needs to be. And, as you saw from the data page, she was given the “Force” sanction (which I assume means X-Force level authority) to kill. She was a total badass. And the CotV are quite powerful and lethal themselves, hence her need to be the same.

My only problem with this issue is that it ended so soon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I liked that part. Ha. It was my favorite part of the whole issue. X-23 is fast, efficient and just downright lethal when she needs to be. And, as you saw from the data page, she was given the “Force” sanction (which I assume means X-Force level authority) to kill. She was a total badass. And the CotV are quite powerful and lethal themselves, hence her need to be the same.

My only problem with this issue is that it ended so soon.
    "Force Sanction" still runs against her morals and personality. And @#$% those data pages. It's a lazy handwave for lazy writing, and the very definition of "Telling" rather than "Showing."

Also, they completely failed at the "clandestine information gathering" part of the mission.

She did plenty of killing as recently as when she was in Logan’s X-Force squad. So it’s like riding a bike I suppose. When she needs to kill again, because it’s necessary and her foes are incredibly lethal and the future of mutantkind is quite literally on the line, she will. That’s what makes her a Wolverine in my book.

But we can agree to disagree on that. Also, as for them failing at the information gathering part, it ain’t over yet. Issue ended on a cliffhanger. We’ll see how this plays out and what intel they bring back.

BANNED

She did plenty of killing as recently as when she was in Logan’s X-Force squad. So it’s like riding a bike I suppose. When she needs to kill again, because it’s necessary and her foes are incredibly lethal and the future of mutantkind is quite literally on the line, she will. That’s what makes her a Wolverine in my book.

But we can agree to disagree on that. Also, as for them failing at the information gathering part, it ain’t over yet. Issue ended on a cliffhanger. We’ll see how this plays out and what intel they bring back.
    If your job is to get in and out quietly, barging through the front door and getting into a big fight that alerts literally everyone that you're there is the very DEFINITION of failure.

The CotV brought the fight to them because the system detected them as a contagion. So, yeah, I guess they failed at stealth and had to go lethal. It happens.

Astonishing Member

My problem is laura shouldn't like being told dont see the cov as people there weapons to be exterminated. I feel like she could empathize with them and maybe tries to understand them

BANNED

The CotV brought the fight to them because the system detected them as a contagion. So, yeah, I guess they failed at stealth and had to go lethal. It happens.
    Their entire point of entry TOOK THEM right to the CotV. The elevator let out IN THE VERY SAME ROOM where the CotV were gathered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    My problem is laura shouldn't like being told dont see the cov as people there weapons to be exterminated. I feel like she could empathize with them and maybe tries to understand them
    EXACTLY. How did that NOT hit close to home?

I didn’t read it that way. To me, they were warned by the big A.I. in charge that they had a contagion breach, then it looked like they went running towards the mutants to attack them (going so far as trying to ambush and melt them to ash in the elevator upon their descent).

Clearly you want Laura written a certain way, so you’ll find reasons to nitpick this to death rather than be happy she’s getting some spotlight. Which is your right as a fan. But I’ve given my perspective, which is that I enjoyed it and don’t have a problem with it for reasons stated. In fact, I think willingness to kill when she has to is kind of what makes her a Wolverine honestly. But that’s my opinion and I’ve shared it more than once so, moving on...

I didn’t read it that way. To me, they were warned by the big A.I. in charge that they had a contagion breach, then it looked like they went running towards the mutants to attack them (going so far as trying to ambush and melt them to ash in the elevator upon their descent).

Clearly you want Laura written a certain way, so you’ll find reasons to nitpick this to death rather than be happy she’s getting some spotlight. Which is your right as a fan. But I’ve given my perspective, which is that I enjoyed it and don’t have a problem with it for reasons stated. In fact, I think willingness to kill when she has to is kind of what makes her a Wolverine honestly. But that’s my opinion and I’ve shared it more than once so, moving on...
    By written a certain way, you mean in character?
    You keep coming back to this idea of Wolverine rather then who they are as a person; It's a very surface level shallow reading.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Fair enough. I still enjoyed it. *shrugs*

BANNED

I want her to be written IN CHARACTER. Not as "A Wolverine," but as LAURA. Not rushing headlong into a fight that she could work around as a better strategic option. Not blindly accepting someone telling her "These are weapons, not people" when such a blase attitude ought to be abhorrent to her because of her own history being treated that way, and has ALREADY BEEN USED AS A PLOT POINT SEVERAL TIMES. Don't you remember Four Sisters? She was downright FURIOUS over her clones being treated as disposable weapons.

I should NOT just "be happy" she's getting some spotlight when everything that defines who she is as a character is ignored for "Raaawr snikt slash kill." That's why I HATED Hopeless' run; The "spotlight" she was being put under completely ignored everything Laura was because Hopeless wanted her to do "Wolverine Things."

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    This is like the writer never read Laura solo story

X-Force ended more than 10 years ago now. That's actually more than half of the character's existence. Since then, she's had 10 years of character development where she's become much more hesitant to kill.

I haven't read any comics in about a year. I needed a break after maybe reading too many, but I was considering jumping back in with this issue's release. Hearing this kind of mischaracterization doesn't exactly give me much incentive to come back just yet.

I definitely wouldn’t come back then. At least if I was you. Characterization has been very off for a number of characters in the HiXman era. If it’s going to bother you, then save yourself the frustration.

Part of me thinks it might be on purpose though. Guess we’ll see...