Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    There's a difference though between giving her her own personality back (introverted, laconic, reserved, cool-headed, strategic, has a sense of humor but it's a little dark, doesn't like killing but will if there's no other choice) and totally resetting all her character development. The former would be a good thing, but not at the expense of wiping away 15 years of character development.
    I don't think she has a sense of humor, maybe gallows humor.I also found her urge to kill even bigger than Wolverine's at least from the Craig/Yost era although I admit that is some time ago, but maybe that's the problem with characters like her and Logan, they've been put through such extremes that mellowing or 'normalising' them is nigh impossible

Amazing Member

Yeah it is bad writing, I'm suprised that editors didn't go "wow, wait a minute" when they saw this line.

Astonishing Member

Careful around strangers, yes, but Laura knows many of the heroes who turned up, and the idea of Laura specifically singling them out for being human when she had never demonstrated that attitude before sounds off.
    I thinks she's more worryed about gabby causing a incident. Also I'm sure laura knows that half the people there have altered motives and would break any alliance given the chance. Hell factions the xmen are currently fighting are at the galler. Not trusting the people with ties to the organization that had her and Logan kill people is in character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    So it is bad writing. On fallen angels she was willing to help humans and as x- men she will also work to protect humans.
    So this makes zero sense
    To say nothing of the fact her aunt and cousin — for whom she suffered YEARS of pain and loneliness to protect them from Kimura — are humans.

Spectacular Member

Laura will be making an appearance in New Mutants #19.

Besides the fact I can't recall her ever calling Daken "Akihiro," since when has she ever had this sort of attitude towards baseline humans?

I REALLY hope it's revealed that everyone on Krakoa is being mentally manipulated.
    Am I the only one who read this line as "I hope she doesn't do anything to embarrass us while all the guests are here to see mutants at their finest?"

Like if I was at a big party with lots of important guests and my precocious kid sister was on the loose, I'd be looking for her too lol

Maybe you all need to expand the way you’re taking Laura’s words. Ever heard of the phrase: “if it don’t apply, let it fly?” Laura’s clearly not thinking about their human family when she’s saying that. She’s talking about the humans who kidnapped and abused her. From the The Facility as X-23 to the sex traffickers in NYX, even being used as a weapon by Finesse during her time as the Avengers Academy, where she saw her mutant friends put in a detention center.

You should be focusing on the context of why the line was said in the first place, not the line itself for some abstract “this is prejudice!!!!” viewpoint that’s devoid of a critical analysis for the character. It’s perfectly in-character for Laura to feel that way. Hell, Gabby feels that way and isn’t exactly vibing with Krakoa.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I don't think she has a sense of humor, maybe gallows humor.I also found her urge to kill even bigger than Wolverine's at least from the Craig/Yost era although I admit that is some time ago, but maybe that's the problem with characters like her and Logan, they've been put through such extremes that mellowing or 'normalising' them is nigh impossible
    I wouldn’t call it an urge, she was just much colder and more detached and casual about using lethal force because she was programmed to kill without hesitation from such a young age. It wasn’t a desire, it was just automatic when there was a threat. That changed very quickly once she began establishing her individuality and morality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Maybe you all need to expand the way you’re taking Laura’s words. Ever heard of the phrase: “if it don’t apply, let it fly?” Laura’s clearly not thinking about their human family when she’s saying that. She’s talking about the humans who kidnapped and abused her. From the The Facility as X-23 to the sex traffickers in NYX, even being used as a weapon by Finesse during her time as the Avengers Academy, where she saw her mutant friends put in a detention center.

You should be focusing on the context of why the line was said in the first place, not the line itself for some abstract “this is prejudice!!!!” viewpoint that’s devoid of a critical analysis for the character. It’s perfectly in-character for Laura to feel that way. Hell, Gabby feels that way and isn’t exactly vibing with Krakoa.
    Granted I’ve only been following second-hand through recaps because I’m just not wasting money on these Krakoa books, but AFAIK there’s no one from the Facility, or Alchemax, or Zebra Daddy and his goons/successors, or any of the people who used and abused her at the gala (in fact you could make the case that Logan and the X-Men used and abused her worse than ANY of the humans attending the Gala during X-Force). So why should that distinction matter if it’s not even relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Am I the only one who read this line as "I hope she doesn't do anything to embarrass us while all the guests are here to see mutants at their finest?"

Like if I was at a big party with lots of important guests and my precocious kid sister was on the loose, I'd be looking for her too lol
    It could; but that interpretation is somewhat undermined by the "I know she's a functionally immortal trained assassin, but she's also my kid sister..." part; suggesting the concern is for her.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Granted I’ve only been following second-hand through recaps because I’m just not wasting money on these Krakoa books, but AFAIK there’s no one from the Facility, or Alchemax, or Zebra Daddy and his goons/successors, or any of the people who used and abused her at the gala (in fact you could make the case that Logan and the X-Men used and abused her worse than ANY of the humans attending the Gala during X-Force). So why should that distinction matter if it’s not even relevant?
    Clan Akkaba is there, they sacrifice humans and mutants to a goddess who calls mutants ‘witchbreed’. ORCHIS is there. Doom is there. Operatives from the CIA, who were previously after Logan’s disembodied arm.

I mean, do you really think those exact people have to be there for Laura to be so nervous for her sister who’re around humans who are grab-happy and getting mutant DNA? Especially now?? The distinction matters because Laura’s acknowledging that the distinction already exists. Those are all humans who sought to hurt her sister and she’s not exactly blind to that fact. And you absolutely could make that argument, but Laura doesn’t feel that way and hasn’t felt that way for years. In fact, ever since Liu gave them such great character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Clan Akkaba is there, they sacrifice humans and mutants to a goddess who calls mutants ‘witchbreed’. ORCHIS is there. Doom is there. Operatives from the CIA, who were previously after Logan’s disembodied arm.

I mean, do you really think those exact people have to be there for Laura to be so nervous for her sister who’re around humans who are grab-happy and getting mutant DNA? Especially now?? The distinction matters because Laura’s acknowledging that the distinction already exists. Those are all humans who sought to hurt her sister and she’s not exactly blind to that fact. And you absolutely could make that argument, but Laura doesn’t feel that way and hasn’t felt that way for years. In fact, ever since Liu gave them such great character development.
    It is not like they would kidnap a kid at the gala. They have lots of telepaths and x-force doing security

And she said humans. She didn't said human bad guys, she is just putting everyone on the same bag

So far in the gala none of the guests have gotten up to anything bad. Even Clan Akkaba showed up, said their piece civilly, and left. So far (and this will likely change in X Corp, I think) the only people who have actually done anything criminal and dangerous have been Beast and X-force. With telepaths scanning everyone at the doors and people like Emma roaming the room scanning attendees for shits and giggles, it would be bizarre for someone to try to kidnap Gabby of all people .

Laura's line is nonsensical. In series, because Gabby is nigh invincible. Out of series, because Laura has never talked that way about all humans before. And in-series again because Gabby is far more likely in danger because of forces in Krakoa like the Shadow King, which I'm still baffled none of them have found out about.

"You know how Logan gets" Do we? I'd love to see that sometime. Has he ever spoken with Gabby? Like had an actual conversation with her?

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    So far in the gala none of the guests have gotten up to anything bad. Even Clan Akkaba showed up, said their piece civilly, and left. So far (and this will likely change in X Corp, I think) the only people who have actually done anything criminal and dangerous have been Beast and X-force. With telepaths scanning everyone at the doors and people like Emma roaming the room scanning attendees for shits and giggles, it would be bizarre for someone to try to kidnap Gabby of all people .

Laura's line is nonsensical. In series, because Gabby is nigh invincible. Out of series, because Laura has never talked that way about all humans before. And in-series again because Gabby is far more likely in danger because of forces in Krakoa like the Shadow King, which I'm still baffled none of them have found out about.

"You know how Logan gets" Do we? I'd love to see that sometime. Has he ever spoken with Gabby? Like had an actual conversation with her?
    I remember that Emma fans used to say she was the most ethical telepath. I can't stress enough how wrong is the scene that because Captain America looked twice on her she entered his mind to discover that she remembered him of his own mother. Also Quire Scanning for secutirty and doing gossip about who is sleeping with who, who knows what he spied. Stark was just right To use psy blockers, they were gossiping and spying using the excuse of a psy scan.

Gabby and Logan only interacted twice and it wasn't a talk: it was on green lagoon party and they were on a suicidal joke and then then she and daken were fighting Omega Red.

Amazing Member

Laura will be making an appearance in New Mutants #19.

Besides the fact I can't recall her ever calling Daken "Akihiro," since when has she ever had this sort of attitude towards baseline humans?

I REALLY hope it's revealed that everyone on Krakoa is being mentally manipulated.
    Now that you mentioned that I do recall something from Enter the Phoenix.

When Logan himself said something about not letting the Phoenix be "Taken by the human" and that it belongs to the mutants.

Since when did he care about who owns the Phoenix? He hates the Phoenix, his action during the whole AvX event where proof enough regardless if the Phoenix around that time could have been the solution to save mutant kind.

I think when the originals die, and are Resurrected, and Xavier downloading their backup memories into their new bodies, he might be tampering with them a bit and making them more "Mutant National"?

BANNED

Laura front and center on a couple X-Men #1 variants:

Still not overly fond of this costume.