Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Why would she have a 500 year gap with anyone that matters? This version of Laura was not in a relationship with Sync, as she was simply reset back to the same place she was before she went in. At MOST she only loses a couple weeks because of the time between when she was backed up and when she was resurrected. If anything that she died and got rez'ed would just dovetail with the "Am I real/Do I have a soul" angst. Or you know, just the general knowledge she had DIED.
    It's all about how they are choosing to frame the question. Like that pivotal scene in a book or movie where you just go: why didn't they say that?! Just that piece or information or context that would avoid that whole confrontation or missunderstanding. Still considering how new everything is and how little exploration has been done on the subject they really should have resurection therapy.

If Laura sees herself a straigt line through existence then she could see that part of her as something that was cut away. That is more in a spiritual sense as her body never experienced those parts neither did her mind.

Still considering Laura and her experiences my impression is that she would not see herself as a straight line but have a more flexible view on herself. Soul or no soul.

Weeks or months, my point was that Laura doesn't have a "500 year gap" with her peers.

Laura learning about the things that happened is all going to be second-hand and not going to be much different than reading about it in a history book. She didn't experience them herself, and there's a big difference between simply learning about something that happened and being part of it. So even if Sync DID tell her about things I can't see the reaction Gabby is talking about simply being from learning what happened.

So really, it's all pointing to more of an existential crisis rather than any sort of "I can't connect anymore" because of the 500 year memory gap with everyone (which she doesn't have in the first place).
    I'm with you here. Synch is a nobody to Laura and she never lived that timeline on the vault.

It's a non issue. She lost some months, but she has the same age and didn't changed who she is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I'm with you here. Synch is a nobody to Laura and she never lived that timeline on the vault.

It's a non issue. She lost some months, but she has the same age and didn't changed who she is.
    This is exactly the point I was trying to make. It's not like she lived a whole different life since her former self went into the Vault, that puts her at odds with or makes it impossible to reconnect with Logan, or Gabby, or Daken, or Cousin Megan, or Aunt Debbie, or any of her other friends from before. Laura is the same person she was from before she went in. She lost a couple months but fundamentally hasn't changed otherwise, so those relationships are going to ultimately be the same (as opposed to Everett, who DOES return with those 500 years worth of memories and experiences distancing him from the rest of his generation).

It doesn't mean she can't be having a spiritual crisis over the CONCEPT of having lived another life that she doesn't remember; That's not a small thing to deal with or conceptualize, especially considering that she's often struggled with her identity or sense of self. But that's a markedly different thing from ACTUALLY living for 500 years and not being able to connect with anyone else as a result.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. It's not like she lived a whole different life since her former self went into the Vault, that puts her at odds with or makes it impossible to reconnect with Logan, or Gabby, or Daken, or Cousin Megan, or Aunt Debbie, or any of her other friends from before. Laura is the same person she was from before she went in. She lost a couple months but fundamentally hasn't changed otherwise, so those relationships are going to ultimately be the same (as opposed to Everett, who DOES return with those 500 years worth of memories and experiences distancing him from the rest of his generation).

It doesn't mean she can't be having a spiritual crisis over the CONCEPT of having lived another life that she doesn't remember; That's not a small thing to deal with or conceptualize, especially considering that she's often struggled with her identity or sense of self. But that's a markedly different thing from ACTUALLY living for 500 years and not being able to connect with anyone else as a result.
    For me it all seems like excuse to not have Laura interact with Gabby. It's been years since they interact on a comic.

I dont think it is a big deal that she lived another live, more like it is very awkward and can make people think about the meta of "going into future" dying and them returning to the point before it.

BANNED

I'm just afraid they're going to use this to reset her to her pre-character development state c.New X-Men/Liu Book, where she's back to being depressed, withdrawn, and borderline suicidal. Like writers can't handle an introvert without making it a symptom, instead of just being introverted.

I'm just afraid they're going to use this to reset her to her pre-character development state c.New X-Men/Liu Book, where she's back to being depressed, withdrawn, and borderline suicidal. Like writers can't handle an introvert without making it a symptom, instead of just being introverted.
    If the end result is her returning to Laura and not Girlverine after it is said and done I'd take that as a win (although the road there might suck). She's been being used as a rule 63 version of Logan for a while and she was never supposed to be that except in appearance - at least not in the comics.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    If the end result is her returning to Laura and not Girlverine after it is said and done I'd take that as a win (although the road there might suck). She's been being used as a rule 63 version of Logan for a while and she was never supposed to be that except in appearance - at least not in the comics.
    There's a difference though between giving her her own personality back (introverted, laconic, reserved, cool-headed, strategic, has a sense of humor but it's a little dark, doesn't like killing but will if there's no other choice) and totally resetting all her character development. The former would be a good thing, but not at the expense of wiping away 15 years of character development.

Quote Originally Posted by mesjarch View Post
    She doesn't remember anything from the Vault and according to Gabby she didn't take it well. Maybe eating shrimps is Laura's way to fight stress.
    Meh, I can think of far less healthy ways to cope.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Long Live to introverts!!!
    It's really awful that people treat introerts as being a problem and having to change.

It's Duggan so I don't expect good things.

BANNED

Laura will be making an appearance in New Mutants #19.

Besides the fact I can't recall her ever calling Daken "Akihiro," since when has she ever had this sort of attitude towards baseline humans?

I REALLY hope it's revealed that everyone on Krakoa is being mentally manipulated.

Besides the fact I can't recall her ever calling Daken "Akihiro," since when has she ever had this sort of attitude towards baseline humans?
    Since Krakoa is new beginning for many mutants maybe Akihiro no longer wants to go by "Daken". That name meant something for him that is no longer valid, maybe he asked for calling him by his name (like Kate Pryde).
    When it comes to humans, come on, much of the humans attending to Gala are shady and can have some malicious intentions, there are potential allies and enemies of Krakoa, of course it's good to be careful around strangers.

Besides that, I cannot wait to see what X-Men 1 has to offer. It would be nice to see some insight into reasons why the characters want to join the team. Hickman is good with plot and stuff, but misses when it comes to emotions and characters.
    I love how many beautiful covers with Laura have appeared recently, she's finally getting more spotlight in comics after last year and half.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    Since Krakoa is new beginning for many mutants maybe Akihiro no longer wants to go by "Daken". That name meant something for him that is no longer valid, maybe he asked for calling him by his name (like Kate Pryde).
    When it comes to humans, come on, much of the humans attending to Gala are shady and can have some malicious intentions, there are potential allies and enemies of Krakoa, of course it's good to be careful around strangers.

Besides that, I cannot wait to see what X-Men 1 has to offer. It would be nice to see some insight into reasons why the characters want to join the team. Hickman is good with plot and stuff, but misses when it comes to emotions and characters.
    I love how many beautiful covers with Laura have appeared recently, she's finally getting more spotlight in comics after last year and half.
    Careful around strangers, yes, but Laura knows many of the heroes who turned up, and the idea of Laura specifically singling them out for being human when she had never demonstrated that attitude before sounds off.

Amazing Member

It will be one off that we should forget. Author probably thought it sounded cool and didn't think it would actually look really bad.

Careful around strangers, yes, but Laura knows many of the heroes who turned up, and the idea of Laura specifically singling them out for being human when she had never demonstrated that attitude before sounds off.
    I suppose it could have just been meant as an implication that the many wealthy and scientifically mind individuals around them, might covet the philosopher stone that is her healing factor... but, yes, that does come off as a bit on the casually racist side.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by mesjarch View Post
    It will be one off that we should forget. Author probably thought it sounded cool and didn't think it would actually look really bad.
    So it is bad writing. On fallen angels she was willing to help humans and as x- men she will also work to protect humans.
    So this makes zero sense