Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon98 View Post
    IMO it was a deliberate attempt and a lackluster one at that.
    The Red Right Hand was both well written and impactful.
    The Orphans of X were literally a support and counseling group that Henry Sutter hijacked for his own purposes.
    They also never revealed Henry's true parentage in front of the Orphans of X and the role his father Zander Rice played in making the trigger scent, which made it all the less interesting.

There's a website that tracks comic books sales (Comichron) where I took at look at ANW's sales numbers.
    After the first issue, sales started decreasing. Steadily.
    Little wonder why they chose to cancel the series.
    Your opinion doesn’t matter. The guy who wrote it said the similarities were unintentional.

And ALL books tend to lose sales after the first issue. Steadily.

Astonishing Member

There's a website that tracks comic books sales (Comichron) where I took at look at ANW's sales numbers.
    Several things first those sales numbers are unreliable, they don't include digital, nor the accualy number readers bought. The only reffrencd to digital numbers is review number and download point. Both routinely beat OML witch also on digital fell much farther then ANW. This is of course no including how marvel marketed the two. OML logan was appearing in dozens of books and always front and center while laura was treated as in the background(they even forgot to us the preview pages or tell us when she's comming out.) There were alot more factors then just sales to store to judge sucess.

2 salse decreasing after issue 1 happens for ever comic. You want a steep decreasing look at retuen of wolverine even with marvels stupid varent cover order policy boosting sales.

3 wasent canncled due to sales, Logan came back and being the problem child with return being a cluster **** that was being rewten as it came out that got the name taken away and relaunched as her as x23.

Also red right hand is on original as well. I'm sure I can find dozens of revenge on the hero storys that took place before hand.

Comichron only tracks wholesale sales, not end sales, and only takes into account sales to comic shops; sales of trades are underrepresented (and are not one and done.) and digitally are not represented at all. Basically every series sharply, then steadily declines on those charts because they never represented actual interest, just how many were being purchased by shops. They are pre ordered months ahead of release and are often inflated by variant cover gimmicks that demand a certain number be purchased to get a certain number of variants.

It is a grossly incomplete view of the market and people need to stop using like it's some be all end all metric.
    All New Wolverine lasted 36 issues, that is rare for an X-man solo that isn't Logan (or if you want to count them Deadpool), or any comic in recent years.

All-New Wolverine: great idea with terrible execution. It literally took all the pre-established stuff about Laura being super-tactical and a master military strategist and threw it out the airlock, into a sun. Orphans of X was a lame rip-off of the Red Right Hand. Laura gave off suburban soccer mom vibes at the very beginning, which was incredibly cringy. There was almost no background info on Old Woman Laura (I assumed it was like the supervillain collective mega-attack in Old Man Logan but the heroes had advanced intel and managed to avert disaster) so I was pretty confused about what the heck was going on.
    It went out of the way to highlight and demonstrate her tactical mindedness on several occasions, so don't know what you're talking about.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Just found this forum, so here's my take on X-23 over the years.

Innocence Lost: Excellent, but sad as ****.

Target X: Excellent, and badass as hell (especially her fight with Logan where she uses tactics against him) but bittersweet

NYX: Depressing, but a logical stage in her character progression

Uncanny X-Men: Awful, but the most forgivable, given that she's only been around for a couple years at this point.

New X-Men: Excellent, especially the Helix and Kimura getting her memory wiped by Emma. I kinda hated Emma for what she did to Laura in the beginning though NGL.

X-Force: The High Water Mark of Excellence! Super Badass! Mike Choi's art was the cherry on top.

X-23 One Shot: Pretty nice, though I didn't really like the art. NYX squad reunion was cool.

X-23: Good, but Majorie sank the Helix ship in a pretty bad way and that pissed me off. Otherwise pretty good, especially her and Jubilee. Art kind of made Laura seem a bit older than she was though.

Avenger's Academy: Started out strong, but started going sour towards the end.

Avenger's Arena: This is where everything started going bad. Laura was OOC.

All New X-Men: Exponential drop in quality. I wish Prof. Xavier could show up at my door and purge all memory of ANXM from my mind.

Logan Legacy: Okay, confirmed something about Laura that we all pretty much knew.

Wolverines: Awful. It was hyped up so much but then it turned out to be a big "Subvert Expectations". Extremely convoluted plot, lots of OOC.

All New X-Men 2.0: Even worse than the Bendis dumpster fire. I wish Prof. Xavier, Jean Grey, and Emma Frost would all collectively show up at my door and purge all memory of ANXM 2.0 from my mind.

All-New Wolverine: great idea with terrible execution. It literally took all the pre-established stuff about Laura being super-tactical and a master military strategist and threw it out the airlock, into a sun. Orphans of X was a lame rip-off of the Red Right Hand. Laura gave off suburban soccer mom vibes at the very beginning, which was incredibly cringy. There was almost no background info on Old Woman Laura (I assumed it was like the supervillain collective mega-attack in Old Man Logan but the heroes had advanced intel and managed to avert disaster) so I was pretty confused about what the heck was going on.

X-Men Red: IMO it was a continuation of All-New Wolverine, but more meh.

X23 2018: It was render completely pointless by the whole Krakoa revival thing. As usual; good idea, terrible execution.

Fallen Angels: A dumpster fire on par with ANXM and ANXM 2.0. Need I say more?

So what do y'all think?

Agree or disagree?
    Bendis was just shipping and Logan re-hash. Surprised Hopeless did worse than that.

All-New Wolverine needed less baby-sitting. We have Power Pack for that.

Red was a Jean book. RIP everyone else.

X-23 vol4 - s**t.

There's also Age of X-Man but Gabby somehow came out better in that.
    "Cable was right!"

IMO it was a deliberate attempt and a lackluster one at that.
    The Red Right Hand was both well written and impactful.
    The Orphans of X were literally a support and counseling group that Henry Sutter hijacked for his own purposes.
    They also never revealed Henry's true parentage in front of the Orphans of X and the role his father Zander Rice played in making the trigger scent, which made it all the less interesting.
    Just going off of memory r.e. it being an accident. Considering the retcons in Tamaki's series, maybe it was just as well that Taylor didn't go into detail r.e. the trigger scent. It wasn't my favorite arc in the series, but I didn't hate it either.

Too bad, it was a favorite of mine. Can't wait for the hardcover omnibus in any event.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Just going off of memory r.e. it being an accident. Considering the retcons in Tamaki's series, maybe it was just as well that Taylor didn't go into detail r.e. the trigger scent. It wasn't my favorite arc in the series, but I didn't hate it either.

Too bad, it was a favorite of mine. Can't wait for the hardcover omnibus in any event.
    Your memory isn't wrong. Taylor did say it was unintentional. And Taylor's handling of the trigger scent was just fine. He managed it a heck of a lot better than Liu, who decided to have whole populations suddenly reacting to the trigger despite the fact it's explicit that the scent is just that, and Laura had to be tortured into responding to it (it's not the trigger ITSELF that affected Laura, it's her conditioning to make whatever is marked with it dead. And no, it was NEVER a blind rage; all of her tactical faculties and intelligence were intact). AND he nicely addresses why Emma couldn't remove the conditioning; She didn't have a vial of the trigger and a helpful test subject to use it on to see what was actually happening when Laura was under it.

BANNED

Five more days.

Incidentally, after the last issue of Red White and Blood, I wonder when Laura and Amiko are going to sit down and dish on Deadbeat Dad.

Every book sales decreased but ANW did very well for +30 issues it is rare to x-men solos do that, even if it used the Wolverine name.
    It could keep going for some time, it was canned because Logan came back not because of sales
    Last edited by Rang10; 02-19-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Spectacular Member

The new X-men #18 preview dropped today, there's not much really, page of the outside of the Vault and a coloured version of a black and white page we've already seen, with a narration by Synch.
    https://64.media.tumblr.com/a4444b67...b49fc25bbc.jpg

https://64.media.tumblr.com/a76bb1d1...f989e7f9c5.jpg

https://64.media.tumblr.com/dd03b053...5bb528fc17.jpg

It’s funny, but the CotV’s new home reminds me very much of the wild Sentinel factory from Grant Morrison’s first New X-men issues. Since this is Hickman, I doubt very much that’s coincidence.

X-Men 18:
    Laura's written like Logan, and I get an inkling will have a kid with synch by the end of the next issue for authorial eugenicist reasons.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 02-24-2021 at 08:06 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    It’s funny, but the CotV’s new home reminds me very much of the wild Sentinel factory from Grant Morrison’s first New X-men issues. Since this is Hickman, I doubt very much that’s coincidence.
    Apparently, they moved there after the X-Men beat them in Supernovas.
    "Cable was right!"

Yeah, they were there in the last page of the original Supernovas arc, but Carey never followed up on it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    X-Men 18:
    Laura's written like Logan, and I get an inkling will have a kid with synch by the end of the next issue for authorial eugenicist reasons.
    I HATED how she was written.

spoilers:
    She straight up kills two of the CotV.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I HATED how she was written.

spoilers:
    She straight up kills two of the CotV.
    end of spoilers
    yeah, Yikes about the last x-men issue