Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Its super weird to me that we're getting X-men 1 before the next New Mutants. Its like, I can't see Laura going off to do undefined superhero stuff when Gabby just turned up dead and we don't even know if they will bring her back.

Its mostly a scheduling thing, but its still really weird.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Its super weird to me that we're getting X-men 1 before the next New Mutants. Its like, I can't see Laura going off to do undefined superhero stuff when Gabby just turned up dead and we don't even know if they will bring her back.

Its mostly a scheduling thing, but its still really weird.
    Well to give a benefit of a doubt, the "Gabby's death" situation might be resolved in 1 or 2 in universe days, bringing her back. While X-men #1 might take place weeks after the gala.

However i also notice that in this current setup it seems that when a writer wants characters to be suddently friends or know each other well, despite barely interacting or never having met before the current status quo, they just handwave it (or let the implication play) that it happened off pannel because everyone now sits around in one place.
    But the books are still often written with every team and their stories existing in a bubble, so they have to deal with their situation alone, ignoring the presence of hundreds of differently qualified characters sitting around in a tiny place, at least until it's convinient to quickly wrap things up. Because otherwise they would need to put in the extra work on why they handle things in a bubble.

Basicly the "everyones around the same place at the same time" situation is used when it's convinient and spares them having to work with or into continuity, but is disregarded when it would make them have to work more in the same way.
    Taking the benefit but not willing to handle the price that comes with it.

So it's also possible that if the Gabby situation is not continuity wise resolved before X-men #1 Duggan can just ignore it, because there doesn't seem to be an editorial action to keep these things in line when they inconvenient the writers.

BANNED

Still waiting on a Hot Toys 1/6 figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Well to give a benefit of a doubt, the "Gabby's death" situation might be resolved in 1 or 2 in universe days, bringing her back. While X-men #1 might take place weeks after the gala.

However i also notice that in this current setup it seems that when a writer wants characters to be suddently friends or know each other well, despite barely interacting or never having met before the current status quo, they just handwave it (or let the implication play) that it happened off pannel because everyone now sits around in one place.
    But the books are still often written with every team and their stories existing in a bubble, so they have to deal with their situation alone, ignoring the presence of hundreds of differently qualified characters sitting around in a tiny place, at least until it's convinient to quickly wrap things up. Because otherwise they would need to put in the extra work on why they handle things in a bubble.

Basicly the "everyones around the same place at the same time" situation is used when it's convinient and spares them having to work with or into continuity, but is disregarded when it would make them have to work more in the same way.
    Taking the benefit but not willing to handle the price that comes with it.

So it's also possible that if the Gabby situation is not continuity wise resolved before X-men #1 Duggan can just ignore it, because there doesn't seem to be an editorial action to keep these things in line when they inconvenient the writers.
    They've been using "Oh, they just met/got to know each other off-panel" excuse LONG before Krakoa.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    They've been using "Oh, they just met/got to know each other off-panel" excuse LONG before Krakoa.
    True. Just feels to me like the current status quo encourages it even more, while technicaly requiring more care than before aswell.

"I don't know where Gabby is. Don't tell Logan; you know how he gets."

NO, I DON'T KNOW HOW HE GETS. I'D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW!

Am I alone is feeling like its weird to see Laura waltz off and be a superhero without addressing the Gabby thing first?

It took a while before Gabby addressed Laura's disappearance so they're even

That’s just how sisters be sometimes, you know?

Laura had a truly badass moment in X-Men #1 today. I won't spoil it. I'll just say that she IS Wolverine. Nuff said!
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Laura had a truly badass moment in X-Men #1 today. I won't spoil it. I'll just say that she IS Wolverine. Nuff said!
    It was a great scene. The writing for her...not so much.

Astonishing Member

I mean of gabby isn't back yet I could see her being a little self destructive. Also it was stated her room was bigger. Maybe they set up gabby moving in ?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'm only reading X-Men #1 for Laura. Do I need to read anything from Hellfire Gala before I start that? I've only read the last Hick-Men issue.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm only reading X-Men #1 for Laura. Do I need to read anything from Hellfire Gala before I start that? I've only read the last Hick-Men issue.
    Unless Gabby's apparent murder isn't brought up, no.

With the exception of her being concerned for her in New Mutants, i can only remember Laura's only significant appearance was stuffing herself with food (held on her claws... ewww) when the X-men team was announced.

Are they writing her like Logan again?
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Are they writing her like Logan again?
    Just a couple "Bubs" off.