Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Well, it's not like there was a lot of her. A bit too Logan, but I'll wait with my judgement for issue 2, maybe 3.
    But the art rocks, she looks beautiful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    Well, it's not like there was a lot of her. A bit too Logan, but I'll wait with my judgement for issue 2, maybe 3.
    But the art rocks, she looks beautiful.
    I've learned fairly quickly that if she starts off sounding too much like Logan, it's probably not going to get any better as the book goes on.

Well X-men 1 makes me feel that it's better if Duggan concentrates on using Laura for action scenes. Lets hope he doesn't try to explore her character as it seems he's not that in tune with her specific voice. It's not a train wreck by any means. It just feel off. As Ambaryerno said she feels more like Logan.

Her line about Doplhins bothered me. I will try to explain why but perhaps I need to think about it more to give a satisfactory explanation. It's just doesn't seem the way that Lauras thought would go. Perhaps it's as easy as it's not her kind of humour. It just lack that specific bite. Oh I don't know, if anyone else can tell me why it works or doesn't work then I'd be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    That will go nicely with this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by topfueluhl; 07-07-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Spectacular Member

well a little late to the game and it seems laura is once again logan 2.0. seriously why does every writer at marvel see Laura as grrr stab stab when in reality she is highly intelligent and an excellent strategist.

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    That will go nicely with this one.
    So jealous you've got it, wherever I looked there were fake ones from aliex.

Quote Originally Posted by jhack53 View Post
    well a little late to the game and it seems laura is once again logan 2.0. seriously why does every writer at marvel see Laura as grrr stab stab when in reality she is highly intelligent and an excellent strategist.
    I hope that'll get better in next issues, when we get some interactions within a team. There wasn't enough to see much of it, so I'm still giving X-Men 2-3 issues to judge.
    I'd love a scene where Laura and Ev invent different strategies for taking out the bad guy and tell each other why their wouldn't work, like having a brainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    So jealous you've got it, wherever I looked there were fake ones from aliex.

I hope that'll get better in next issues, when we get some interactions within a team. There wasn't enough to see much of it, so I'm still giving X-Men 2-3 issues to judge.
    I'd love a scene where Laura and Ev invent different strategies for taking out the bad guy and tell each other why their wouldn't work, like having a brainstorm.
    That is an excellent way to display the nuances of both of these characters, Laura is more than some hack and slash maniac. Everett now has years of being a strategist and Laura has been know to be a tactical warrior when she is written correctly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    when she is written correctly.
    That's a hell of a caveat.

I don't think we have much hope. if Duggan believes Laura is a Wolverine2.0. that she is always growling her so she will continue to portray her in the following year equal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhack53 View Post
    If i recall right Wolverine himself was also more than once said to be highly intelligent and having some ultra fast mental processing power or something to that effect. But that didn't stop most writer from just defaulting to Wolverines "4 moves of doom".
    1. Blindly jump at enemies with claws out. 2. Get blasted. 3. Heal. 4. Repeat until success.

The way i see it, the reason for that is that there is the unwritten rule for writers to always depict each character using their primary/prominent powers at least once per storyline. For Wolverine that means popping out his claws, regardless of how much a situation makes it necessary and getting wounded so he can be shown healing.

With the end result being that Wolverine is implied to be all these great things, but ultimately depicted as a dumb berserker.

And since X-23 is powers wise the same as Wolverine, she was also nearly always depicted as popping her claws just to show she has them and then getting horribly injured to be shown rapidly healing.

However, it also seems that since Kyle and Yost translated her into the comics as emotionaly cold ex-teenage super assassin, she was character wise primarily defaulted to being shown as smart, calculating and calm. Because that fit her image better than the wild berserker that was Wolverine (backstory and popular image wise).

But now that she has officialy overcome that old personality which has defined her character for years, it seems writers are at loss on how to depict her instead.

And now that they gave her the Wolverine 2 title, it seems they just default to depicting her as female teenage Wolverine (or worse ways to put it).

So Laura seems to be between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Her "classic" image as X-23 is associated with an emotionaly cold assassin, who has Wolverine's powers (and therefor being just as injury prone) but not his personality. But being Wolverine 2 now seems to encourage writers to just use the whole Logan pattern on her instead.

Though i guess what will truely decide her personality going forward will be how the next movies or cartoons (or video games if Disney had any interest in them) with the X-men will depict her. As that will further shape her pop culture image and in turn convince the writers to follow it.
    But of course that will take a while, so it seems for the time being she will slide around between classic X-23 and female Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    If i recall right Wolverine himself was also more than once said to be highly intelligent and having some ultra fast mental processing power or something to that effect. But that didn't stop most writer from just defaulting to Wolverines "4 moves of doom".
    1. Blindly jump at enemies with claws out. 2. Get blasted. 3. Heal. 4. Repeat until success.

The way i see it, the reason for that is that there is the unwritten rule for writers to always depict each character using their primary/prominent powers at least once per storyline. For Wolverine that means popping out his claws, regardless of how much a situation makes it necessary and getting wounded so he can be shown healing.

With the end result being that Wolverine is implied to be all these great things, but ultimately depicted as a dumb berserker.

And since X-23 is powers wise the same as Wolverine, she was also nearly always depicted as popping her claws just to show she has them and then getting horribly injured to be shown rapidly healing.

However, it also seems that since Kyle and Yost translated her into the comics as emotionaly cold ex-teenage super assassin, she was character wise primarily defaulted to being shown as smart, calculating and calm. Because that fit her image better than the wild berserker that was Wolverine (backstory and popular image wise).

But now that she has officialy overcome that old personality which has defined her character for years, it seems writers are at loss on how to depict her instead.

And now that they gave her the Wolverine 2 title, it seems they just default to depicting her as female teenage Wolverine (or worse ways to put it).

So Laura seems to be between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Her "classic" image as X-23 is associated with an emotionaly cold assassin, who has Wolverine's powers (and therefor being just as injury prone) but not his personality. But being Wolverine 2 now seems to encourage writers to just use the whole Logan pattern on her instead.

Though i guess what will truely decide her personality going forward will be how the next movies or cartoons (or video games if Disney had any interest in them) with the X-men will depict her. As that will further shape her pop culture image and in turn convince the writers to follow it.
    But of course that will take a while, so it seems for the time being she will slide around between classic X-23 and female Wolverine.
    You overcome trauma, not your Personally (though yes character arcs do result in synthesis); Tom Taylor did perfectly well at writing her as emotionally better adjusted but recognizably herself, this is not that hard. In any other medium you could reasonably expect this to be handled competently.

What makes it more ridiculous is the angry berserk thing is informed by Logan's own trauma.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 07-13-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That's a hell of a caveat.
    It's kinda the deal with all characters. Don't get us Spider-Man fans started on "One More Day."
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Finally skimmed the issue just for Laura. A very short scene, but of course her voice is wrong.

This is why I don’t like Laura as Wolverine. Writers are incapable of separating the character from the costume.

Hopefully it improves, but I’m skeptical.

Astonishing Member

Imagine a certain someone else had won the fan vote and Duggan would be forced to write Laura differently because of having another bone bladed healing factor possessing young woman on the team to deal with, but one who's default characterization is actualy being frequently angry and short tempered ever since her introduction as opposed to Laura's.

On the other hand, he might have then just defaulted to write two "female Wolverines" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Finally skimmed the issue just for Laura. A very short scene, but of course her voice is wrong.

This is why I don’t like Laura as Wolverine. Writers are incapable of separating the character from the costume.

Hopefully it improves, but I’m skeptical.
    I think its more of an issue with Laura in team books as she rarely gets any character development and is there for the fight sequences. The same complaints people are making now are teh sames ones leveraged when she dropped the Wolverine moniker and was used in Uncanny X-men Disassembled.