Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142 LastLast
    BANNED

I honestly don't have that much faith in Marvel anymore. Laura hasn't been allowed to do anything meaningful outside of her solo books since Second Coming.

FFS, in Black Vortex when the entire team got blasted, everyone else brushed it off but she ended up in a coma for half the event. And she was the only one with a healing factor!

(And that's before she got trapped in amber for the SECOND half.)

Sooo, I have been quite naïve with my previous post. Well, the art was still good though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    Sooo, I have been quite naïve with my previous post. Well, the art was still good though.
    You called the worst option alright.

Amazing Member

Don't tell me they choose the worst option?

Quote Originally Posted by mesjarch View Post
    Don't tell me they choose the worst option?
    I'm sorry darling...

This was not it y’all… what’s killing me is that they can make a Synch and Laura relationship work (not that it’s necessary). Just write Laura as her own character with some damn personality and motivations of her own.

I loved Laura's sequence. It points to Duggan having a much bigger, more complex arc in store for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I loved Laura's sequence. It points to Duggan having a much bigger, more complex arc in store for her.
    Does it? He literally didn’t reference a single moment from her long history as X-23. I’ve been on the “let’s give it some time” train for a while but this was a bit much for me.

Good for you, I feel like crying right now. Hiding what happened in spoiler:
    spoilers:
    We see Laura having nightmare. About countless death or tortures that happened in her life? About being forced to become a hooker when she was 14? Nope, of course not.
    She's having nightmare about not knowing what happened in the Vault, that she has a "blank spot" in her memory, and that's what makes her A REAL WOLVERINE. So yeah, we have confirmation, Logan with tits. Also in her mind she's fighting with her Vault!Self which she shouldn't know what looked like. The cherry on the cake is " She doesn't what to love him." Like what? When? Why would she? She doesn't know what happened in the Vault? And why knowing would suddenly make her love him? It's NOT how it works!
    end of spoilers

I tried to give it many chances, but right not I feel like neither should she be in this book, nor have Wolverine mantle. Tom Taylor written her well, and can balance the character, but since her codename change many writers just see "Logan with tits" and have no idea how to write her.
    I'm just left feeling really sad here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Does it? He literally didn’t reference a single moment from her long history as X-23. I’ve been on the “let’s give it some time” train for a while but this was a bit much for me.
    Exactly. I don't feel anything complex here, quite opposite, like her story only began in X-Men 5 and she must get with Synch, nothing more here. I wanted to give it many chances, I've seen GD twitt at Tom Taylor and I thought that'll mean he'll continue her characterization from All New Wolverine. Clearly I was wrong.

BANNED

Good for you, I feel like crying right now. Hiding what happened in spoiler:
    spoilers:
    We see Laura having nightmare. About countless death or tortures that happened in her life? About being forced to become a hooker when she was 14? Nope, of course not.
    She's having nightmare about not knowing what happened in the Vault, that she has a "blank spot" in her memory, and that's what makes her A REAL WOLVERINE. So yeah, we have confirmation, Logan with tits. Also in her mind she's fighting with her Vault!Self which she shouldn't know what looked like. The cherry on the cake is " She doesn't what to love him." Like what? When? Why would she? She doesn't know what happened in the Vault? And why knowing would suddenly make her love him? It's NOT how it works!
    end of spoilers

I tried to give it many chances, but right not I feel like neither should she be in this book, nor have Wolverine mantle. Tom Taylor written her well, and can balance the character, but since her codename change many writers just see "Logan with tits" and have no idea how to write her.
    I'm just left feeling really sad here.
    Yep, I'm done. Dropping this book like a bad habit.

X-Men 4 was stupid. Laura`s dream was stupid. It could work as Synch dream cause he knows and kinda cares. Why should Laura?
    Nothing personal to her or her characterization in it.

Exactly. I don't feel anything complex here, quite opposite, like her story only began in X-Men 5 and she must get with Synch, nothing more here. I wanted to give it many chances, I've seen GD twitt at Tom Taylor and I thought that'll mean he'll continue her characterization from All New Wolverine. Clearly I was wrong.
    I was trying to put my finger on it and that's exactly it. Tbh that's also how Duggan writes Synch, but that benefits him more cause he's been out of commission for a looooooong time.

spoilers:
    I just can't get over how when showing her deepest darkest fears, literally the sh$%!t she dreams about, Duggan made it all about a MAN! It's fine if he wanted to include Vault stuff since that's most relevant to the current era, but not even a reference to her sister that died a week ago?!? Not even a nod to the countless traumas you mentioned in your post. And you can't tell me it's cause "she's dealt with those things" cause we have Scott still thinking about his plane crash and Jean still thinking about the DPS.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Well, he revealed that she has some deep issues she's grappling with (I don't want to spoil it for anyone). Also, she's the only other team member he dedicated time to...

Well, he revealed that she has some deep issues she's grappling with (I don't want to spoil it for anyone). Also, she's the only other team member he dedicated time to...
    ^I'll just point to my spoiler post above (and Rakurai's). Out of all the deep issues to focus on, it's in pretty poor taste to just highlight this one.