Page 8 of 120 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Whose voice do you hear in your head when you are reading Wally West in the comics?
    It's funny, I never actually hear specific voices when I read dialogue in comics and novels - just the "neutral" voice I read everything with.

On the flipside, though, Wally does have one of the strongest "reading" voices in comics, almost entirely because of the way Waid wrote him (with much due respect to Messner-Loebs). His narration especially just had so much personality that I do genuinely think that every writer who has handled Wally after Waid, no matter how good they are, never quite get the voice right. Williamson has probably come the closest, though, surprisingly enough.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

I'd say the opposite. Even bad writers can and have gotten Wally's voice pretty well. Now the stories and characterization not so much, but even subpar writers like Lobdell or mediocre ones like Meltzer have gotten Wally's voice somewhat accurately.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    I'd say the opposite. Even bad writers can and have gotten Wally's voice pretty well. Now the stories and characterization not so much, but even subpar writers like Lobdell or mediocre ones like Meltzer have gotten Wally's voice somewhat accurately.
    Interesting. I actually think the characterization is tied quite strongly to his voice. I honestly have trouble separating them. Though, to be clear, I am including his narration as much as his dialogue when I say this. That voice is so particular but so well rounded and human and it perfectly reflects the complex and contrasting sides to Wally's personality perfectly. I'm a big fan of a great many superheroes but not one of them ever sounded like Wally West under Waid's pen. Nothing that Waid has written does either for that matter.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Whose voice do you hear in your head when you are reading Wally West in the comics?
    I tend to go back and forth between his DCAU and YJ voice actors. It depends on the book. These days, I use most of the voice actors from Young Justice when I'm reading these characters. Though there are a few exceptions. I definitely still use the Trinity's and John Stewart's DCAU voices. But I've been known to do some fan-casting too. For example, Yuri Lowenthal is always my go-to Tim Drake voice. Same for Todd Haberkorn as Beast Boy. I might be a bit of a voice acting nerd lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I tend to go back and forth between his DCAU and YJ voice actors. It depends on the book. These days, I use most of the voice actors from Young Justice when I'm reading these characters. Though there are a few exceptions. I definitely still use the Trinity's and John Stewart's DCAU voices. But I've been known to do some fan-casting too. For example, Yuri Lowenthal is always my go-to Tim Drake voice. Same for Todd Haberkorn as Beast Boy. I might be a bit of a voice acting nerd lol
    Have you seen the Batman Unlimited movies? Yuri was Red Robin in those.

Always Rakzo

Wally's voice is William Messner-Loebs' voice.

Everything after that is a diluted version.

Astonishing Member

Yeah man, all that stuff about him dying to save his wife was just really diluted tripe. Oh and his entire inner struggle in ROBA, all just really simpering, pathetic voice work.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

The_Flash_Vol_2_107.jpg

One of my favorite issues.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

michael rosenbaum wally west voice for me.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Michael Rosenbaum.

Always Rakzo

That "jerk with a heart of gold" portrayal that Wally gets most of the time in media, that's all thanks to Messner-Loebs.

So yeah, Messner-Loebs' voice is Wally's voice.

Voice was Jason Spisak. Not a fan of the iteration but VA did a great job.

I love Messner-Loebs Wally but his characterization still leaned too much on the ignorant privileged ******* side.

However Waid's Wally was a joy to read throughout his run. He had a full hero's journey in it.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    I love Messner-Loebs Wally but his characterization still leaned too much on the ignorant privileged ******* side.
    That was actually Baron's Wally.

If you want to go that way, Messner-Loebs was the one who made Wally face his own privilege by making him live as a homeless man and face how tough things are in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    That was actually Baron's Wally.

If you want to go that way, Messner-Loebs was the one who made Wally face his own privilege by making him live as a homeless man and face how tough things are in other countries.
    He made him face them, he didn't turn into the Wally we love right then though. Remember how awfully he reacted to Piper coming out to him for example. It was thanks to Waid that he became more loveable.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    He made him face them, he didn't turn into the Wally we love right then though. Remember how awfully he reacted to Piper coming out to him for example. It was thanks to Waid that he became more loveable.
    Wally actually reacted in a pretty natural way (especially for someone from that era) and ultimately understood that Piper was his friend and it didn't matter who he loved.

And Wally became more confortable about it when Piper presented his new boyfriend. For the 80s-early 90s this was extremely progressive, especially how that was handled after it (see Northstar coming out a year later which was a big deal at the time despite of how poorly it was handled).