Page 61 of 120 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Barry can keep the chin strap.
    I'm not a fan of the chin strap but I could live with it if those stupid lines disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    I'm not a fan of the chin strap but I could live with it if those stupid lines disappeared.
    Admittedly there are only maybe 2-3 artists who were able to make those lines work, but I think the Flash TV show and animated depictions of Flash show it works fine with a streamlined Flash suit.

Admittedly there are only maybe 2-3 artists who were able to make those lines work, but I think the Flash TV show and animated depictions of Flash show it works fine with a streamlined Flash suit.
    Francis Manapul did a great job but honestly his work is so amazing , to me at least, it almost doesn't matter what he draws. I even liked his version of that terrible Kid Flash suit from the New52.

Spectacular Member

I kind of associate him with one of the worst Flash runs and costumes of all time, but I think his heart is (usually) in the right place.
    Robert Venditti's run? I actually got the first arc of his run as single issues as that was the first appearance of New 52 "Wally" West (later retcon to be Wallace). Just after one issue when it turned out that it wasn't really the Wally I've known and loved, I didn't even bother with the rest of the arc.

Still, was it really that bad?

On the note of Bett Brooth's art, I've always loved him. I'm pretty sure he championed hard for Wally and may have been one of the creatives to help make sure Wally didn't fall further down the rabbit hole of bad ideas. There's a reason why he was there for "Wally's" first New 52 appearance, the Rebirth Titans, Flash Forward, and why now he's doing the variant covers for the current Flash run. Also, don't know if this is a hot take, but I think his design for Rebirth Wally was great. DC clearly wanted to evoke a more Kid Flash look, just to make sure that fans know he was the younger/lesser Flash, yet I think it really worked in differentiating between Wally and Barry.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    Robert Venditti's run? I actually got the first arc of his run as single issues as that was the first appearance of New 52 "Wally" West (later retcon to be Wallace). Just after one issue when it turned out that it wasn't really the Wally I've known and loved, I didn't even bother with the rest of the arc.

Still, was it really that bad?

On the note of Bett Brooth's art, I've always loved him. I'm pretty sure he championed hard for Wally and may have been one of the creatives to help make sure Wally didn't fall further down the rabbit hole of bad ideas. There's a reason why he was there for "Wally's" first New 52 appearance, the Rebirth Titans, Flash Forward, and why now he's doing the variant covers for the current Flash run. Also, don't know if this is a hot take, but I think his design for Rebirth Wally was great. DC clearly wanted to evoke a more Kid Flash look, just to make sure that fans know he was the younger/lesser Flash, yet I think it really worked in differentiating between Wally and Barry.
    Venditti's run was pretty..... I don't want to say awful, but it was entirely forgettable.
    However, the artwork was great.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Venditti's run was the worst Flash run ever as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely horrendous. What's even more crazy is just how bad it is compared to how solid basically every other thing he's written has been. It's so bad his co-writer (Jensen) talked about how disappointing the whole thing was. Worst sales in Flash history during that time, too. Not that that did anything.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Venditti's run was the worst Flash run ever as far as I'm concerned. Absolutely horrendous. What's even more crazy is just how bad it is compared to how solid basically every other thing he's written has been. It's so bad his co-writer (Jensen) talked about how disappointing the whole thing was. Worst sales in Flash history during that time, too. Not that that did anything.
    I wonder how much of it was editorial micro-managing the book. Manapul/Buccellato seemed to be setting up subplots in their run (Singh/Piper, for instance) that were cut short or simply dropped.

Given what we now know of creators quitting books due to micro-managing or last-minute changes, I wonder how much was really the fault of Venditti/Jensen.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyDreadful View Post
    I wonder how much of it was editorial micro-managing the book. Manapul/Buccellato seemed to be setting up subplots in their run (Singh/Piper, for instance) that were cut short or simply dropped.

Given what we now know of creators quitting books due to micro-managing or last-minute changes, I wonder how much was really the fault of Venditti/Jensen.
    I wonder if they were planning to use Thawne or Daniel West as the Reverse-Flash that killed Nora Allen.

Yeah I’m pretty confident editorial is to blame considering Venditti’s New 52 GL is pretty reviled as well, yet his Hal N Pals during Rebirth is very well regarded.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Someone posted this on Reddit saying it's a variant cover from The Flash Annual 2021. I couldn't find it anywhere else, but looks real since it's from Breth Booth and he didn't posted this on his Twitter page.

Also, adult Jai!
    So Barry back in his old costume again but now purple.
    Last edited by D.Z; 06-04-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Astonishing Member

I think it's just a colorist trying to differentiate the two. That's not gonna be the color Barry's outfit is going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    So Barry back in his old costume again but now purple.
    Yeah, that's purple, not maroon or burgundy. Like Avery's costume. A darker red would be fine, but not that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Easiest way to differentiate would be to give Wally white lenses which he had around the end of Messner Loebs run. Give Barry the lightning bolts all over his costume look and give Wally a shinier, sleeker look.

Wally West fan art by lightmare000 (https://lightmare000.tumblr.com/):

Astonishing Member

You don't see a lot of sultry Wally fanart. Those are really well done.

You obviously haven't spent a lot of time on Tumblr. :P