Spectacular Member

Default DC/Vertigo ruined comics for me

Having read some of the best DC/Vertigo titles (DMZ, Northlanders, Fables, Hellblazer, Preacher, 100 Bullets, The Sandman, Planetary, Transmetropolitan, Kingdom Come, Loveless, The Authority, LXG, Promethea, Lucifer etc.) I can't go back to basic superhero stuff, I tried with Image comics but even some of their best titles doesn't come close to what Vertigo did, so I'm here finding comics that has that "Vertigo" style/feel to it, but unfortunately nothing has come by since then.

Can you guys help me?

If you haven't read Locke & Key or Gideon Falls yet, check out those two. If you're still looking for something superhero that's unique and great, check out Black Hammer.

If you are looking for DC stuff with the Vertigo-ish feel, check out the Hill House imprint-A Basketful of Heads, Daphne Byrne, Plunge, Dollhouse Family, Low, Low Woods etc. curated by Joe Hill,

Lost God: The Chronicles of the Fellspyre Book One is another option.

Something super-heroish to check out is the Black Label Question book The Many Deaths of Vic Sage.

And the recent Sandman Universe imprints curated by Neil Gaiman were essentially a continuation of the type of books descended from Sandman, one of the foundation works of the Vertigo imprint.

But I would say the best place to find books that are spiritual successors of the Vertigo line is with publishers like Image, Dark Horse, BOOM! IDW etc. Locke and Key and Gideon Falls mentioned above are a good starting point, but since this is a DC thread, not an indy one, I don't want to send this onto an indy tangent, but I will give 5 books to look at as a starting point- Invisible Kingdom (Dark Horse), Something is Killing the Children (BOOM!), The Sixth Gun (Oni Press), Mind MGMT (Dark Horse), Fatale (Image)

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 01-01-2021 at 09:16 AM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Incredible Member

Criminal by Brubaker is really good - big fan of that book
    Sword Daughter by Brian Wood was cool but seems to have disappeared
    The ever overlords Hernandez Brothers with new Love and rockets (but you need to read a lot of old stuff first to know whats going)
    Matt Kindt is normally up to something interesting
    Hip Hop Family trees
    Daniel Clowes
    Jim Woodring

But yes - not much going on at Dc these days which is sad as they had it all going on during 85-200

Spectacular Member

If you're interested in manga, try Fire Punch & Chainsaw man.

If you haven’t already, you should read what I believe to be the best Vertigo series: Sandman Mystery Theatre. There were other great series like Shade the Changing Man, Enigma, The Extremists.

Some non-DC books I’d recommend are Stray Bullets (not a Vertigo feel but the best damn crime series ever IMO), all things Brubaker & Phillips, Bone Parish, Gideon Falls, Coffin Bound.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

At Dark Horse anything overseen by Karen Berger is 100% worth a read (she was behind the formation of Vertigo). You can seek out Berger Books, that's her line.

At DC the Young Animal imprint from a few years ago (was it really THAT long already?) might have something to your interest.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-01-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

If you want to read comics worthy of the Vertigo imprint I would reccomend:

American Flagg
    Nexus
    Grimjack
    Badger
    Marshall Law
    Moonshadow
    Video Jack
    Elektra Lives Again
    Heart of Empire
    A Small Killing
    The Tale of One Bad Rat
    Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot
    Astro City
    Trencher
    Midnight Nation
    Royal City
    Why I Hate Saturn
    Family Man
    Cowboy Wally Show
    A History of Violence
    Road to Perdition
    Cages
    Cerebus
    Love and Rockets
    Yummy Fur
    Signal to Noise
    Asterios Polyp
    The Eternaut
    Violent Cases
    Nemesis the Warlock
    Judge Dredd
    Zenith
    Skizz

Astonishing Member

Keeping this to the DC thread, and since you say you read the Vertigo Hellblazer, I would recommend that you read the recently concluded (dammit!) 12-issue John Constantine: Hellblazer by Simon Spurrier. It's the John from the original series, unadulterated.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Keeping this to the DC thread, and since you say you read the Vertigo Hellblazer, I would recommend that you read the recently concluded (dammit!) 12-issue John Constantine: Hellblazer by Simon Spurrier. It's the John from the original series, unadulterated.
    I would to, shame it was short lived.