Page 111 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 1978
  1. #1651
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Eh, I think there'd need to be bit more evidence on the page of Shim'Tar being a reboot of Cyber than just sharing base concepts like being a female cyborg.
    Perez depicted pre-Crisis Cyber and Shim'tar together on his Wonder Woman Through the Ages poster. Elsewhere in the poster he had the various incarnations of Cheetah, Circe and Psycho together, so I think that was his way of telling us Cyber and Shim'tar were linked

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    From the old characters I think Queen Clea is the most suited for an evil counterpart (though I guess more to Hippolyta than Diana). And maybe Gundra to some extent.
    Clea's daughter Ptra is probably Diana's counterpart when we bring the Clea stuff in. Clea and Ptra act as a warped mirror image to Hippolyta and Diana. Way more should be done with that than it is.

  2. #1652
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    7,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Perez depicted pre-Crisis Cyber and Shim'tar together on his Wonder Woman Through the Ages poster. Elsewhere in the poster he had the various incarnations of Cheetah, Circe and Psycho together, so I think that was his way of telling us Cyber and Shim'tar were linked
    Fair enough point. Never been able to find a high quality copy of that poster, so tends to slip me by.

    And I guess unlike Perez's other revamps he kept the villain name if changing the civilian identity (Silver Swan, Cheetah), made it fit more in the world (Mars to Ares), or didn't change it all (Psycho).

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Clea's daughter Ptra is probably Diana's counterpart when we bring the Clea stuff in. Clea and Ptra act as a warped mirror image to Hippolyta and Diana. Way more should be done with that than it is.
    Ashamed to admit how long it took me to realize that was Cleopatra pun.

  3. #1653
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Fair enough point. Never been able to find a high quality copy of that poster, so tends to slip me by.

    And I guess unlike Perez's other revamps he kept the villain name if changing the civilian identity (Silver Swan, Cheetah), made it fit more in the world (Mars to Ares), or didn't change it all (Psycho).
    Yeah I can't find a high quality image of that either, I'd really like to.
    Good point on the villain name change as well, that contributes a great deal for why she is much less obvious than the others.

    Actually did Psycho ever have a civilian name before post-Crisis? Who gave him the name Edgar Cizko? I don't think it was Perez.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Ashamed to admit how long it took me to realize that was Cleopatra pun.
    ....Oh man I never caught it either. That's pretty great actually.

  4. #1654
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Ashamed to admit how long it took me to realize that was Cleopatra pun.
    Marston and his name puns, lol.

    The man just canít help himself.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

  5. #1655
    Mighty Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    And I guess unlike Perez's other revamps he kept the villain name if changing the civilian identity (Silver Swan, Cheetah), made it fit more in the world (Mars to Ares), or didn't change it all (Psycho).
    Perhaps he thought one doctor was enough? Rucka also changed Dr Poison to Colonel Poison.

  6. #1656
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think with Diana being all about "truth", Circe being about "deceit" is a good parallel to have. I wouldnt mind Grail as I still very much enjoy her and she just needs a proper writer again.
    Also, WW is kind and generous to others, but Circe is selfish and cruel.

  7. #1657
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    7,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah I can't find a high quality image of that either, I'd really like to.
    Good point on the villain name change as well, that contributes a great deal for why she is much less obvious than the others.

    Actually did Psycho ever have a civilian name before post-Crisis? Who gave him the name Edgar Cizko? I don't think it was Perez.




    ....Oh man I never caught it either. That's pretty great actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Marston and his name puns, lol.

    The man just canít help himself.
    It certainly explained the headdress.



    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Perhaps he thought one doctor was enough? Rucka also changed Dr Poison to Colonel Poison.
    Are there ever enough evil doctors for WW to fight?

  8. #1658
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I wouldn't say it's as consistent as those two but Circe's usually been positioned as something of an "evil counterpart" by writers. Perez probably did this the most in his run with the origin he gave her there, Jimenez also went with this in his run on contrasting the mother/daughter relationship of Diana and Hippolyta with Circe and her daughter. More recently a story in Black and Gold even went this route.

    I'd say the main thing she lacks that makes her comparable is not really a sympathetic, "well, your not wrong" motivation. Ra's = humans are ruining the planet, Zod = Krpyton was destroyed, I want to build a new one. While Circe's motivations range pretty greatly depending on the writer.
    Circe is the kind of villain who will seek world domination one day and poof out of nowhere just to spit in Diana’s coffee the next.

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Also, WW is kind and generous to others, but Circe is selfish and cruel.
    I think that extends to most of her villains.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Are there ever enough evil doctors for WW to fight?
    I just assumed you need a doctorate or PHD to fight Wonder Woman.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

  9. #1659
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    7,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Circe is the kind of villain who will seek world domination one day and poof out of nowhere just to spit in Diana’s coffee the next.
    Yeah and that's why we love her.

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I think that extends to most of her villains.
    Yeah, I think a more obvious comparison would be what Perez was going for in his run where they're both superpowered, god-like, women with ties to Greek myth. Circe even has her own little island domain in contrast to Themyscira initially.

  10. #1660
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Are there ever enough evil doctors for WW to fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I just assumed you need a doctorate or PHD to fight Wonder Woman.
    This is kind of why I prefer the gorilla origin for Giganta over Doris Zool. Between Barbara, Cale, Psycho, Poison and Cyber, I think she's pretty well covered with villainous doctors.

  11. #1661
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah and that's why we love her.
    Absolutely!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I think a more obvious comparison would be what Perez was going for in his run where they're both superpowered, god-like, women with ties to Greek myth. Circe even has her own little island domain in contrast to Themyscira initially.
    I think he also used the princess angle because they are both princesses.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

  12. #1662
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is kind of why I prefer the gorilla origin for Giganta over Doris Zool. Between Barbara, Cale, Psycho, Poison and Cyber, I think she's pretty well covered with villainous doctors.
    And if the gorilla origin is too "goofy" for some folks, I'm fine with Giganta simply being a mercenary who can grow, maybe even given the powers by Veronica Cale or something. I don't think every supervillain has to have some grandiose origin story. She can just be a big bitch who wants money.

  13. #1663
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    And if the gorilla origin is too "goofy" for some folks, I'm fine with Giganta simply being a mercenary who can grow, maybe even given the powers by Veronica Cale or something. I don't think every supervillain has to have some grandiose origin story. She can just be a big bitch who wants money.
    That should be on the back of her villain business card.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

  14. #1664
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    7,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    And if the gorilla origin is too "goofy" for some folks, I'm fine with Giganta simply being a mercenary who can grow, maybe even given the powers by Veronica Cale or something. I don't think every supervillain has to have some grandiose origin story. She can just be a big bitch who wants money.
    Yeah, just transplant her Justice counterpart into the regular DC Universe.


  15. #1665
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, just transplant her Justice counterpart into the regular DC Universe.

    And top it off with the horrifying body transformation she has when she gets bigger, lol.

    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •