Page 12 of 162 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Removed by poster
    Last edited by Gaius; 02-08-2022 at 08:44 PM.

For me, the appeal (which isn't much) is because he's an average joe who gains control of what should be one of the most powerful objects in the DC Universe (the Angler).

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Doesn’t she have a past enemy who could change body composition based on location, or by the elements? Like an Element Man? Maybe I could be thinking about someone else...

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    For me, the appeal (which isn't much) is because he's an average joe who gains control of what should be one of the most powerful objects in the DC Universe (the Angler).

Same here. I don't understand why anyone thinks Angle Man is so lame when his weapon is quite powerful and he's visually striking(IMO). Sadly, even Geoff Johns ripped on him a few years ago saying he was the one character that he couldn't fix.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I hope Grail is brought back to be more of a serious WW villain along with Granny Goodness and the Furies. Always wanted to see Apokolips be a little more integrated with WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I hope Grail is brought back to be more of a serious WW villain along with Granny Goodness and the Furies. Always wanted to see Apokolips be a little more integrated with WW.
    I guess I wouldn't mind someone giving another go with Grail but I'm warry of this. DC has something of a spotty track record of using the Fourth World to prop up characters/franchises they view as underwhelming.

I want Grail far away from the Furies. It's been too long since Lashina, Stompa, and Bernadeth got some development (I leave out Mad Harriet for, well, obvious reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Can someone explain to me the appeal of Angle man? He just seems like a simple joke concept. How do you tell a story, serious or comedic, about him as a villain? I haven't read any story with him
    You're missing out. He's her greatest foe according to this cover

A few more pages of villains from All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #4 (April 2011):

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don't think he'd ever be a particularly serious villain but he's no more ridiculous than a lot of other villains, many of whom were also derided as silly before the right writer came along. Pop Quezy pointed out there's Kite Man but Mr. Freeze is pretty much the poster child for this and The Rogues for Flash from before Johns.
    Thank you very much!!!!
    The Flash's Rogues are a perfect example of how you can take any "lame" villain and make them credible threats. At the end of the day, any superhero character could be reduced to silly soundbites and one-line descriptions that may make them seem like lame characters, but in reality it is all about execution.
    I am still looking forward to the day that some writer turns Diana's obscure villains into fearsome evildoers. Yes, and that includes Angle Man.
    Egg Fu, though, has nothing that can be salvaged. LOL

Red Panzer: first appearance = Wonder Woman #228
    (cover-dated February 1977 / on-sale date of November 18, 1976 per the GCD)

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    [IMG]JLD_16_5.jpg[/IMG]
    That was one of the best Circe stories I have ever read. Makes me wish that James Tynion IV had written War of The Gods back in the day.