Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 661
  1. #316
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    7,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Omg I just realized Cheetah is rolling her R's in Suicide Squad. Only Rucka wrote her like that. Could that mean the writer actually read a Wonder Woman book?! Is that why Hypnotic Woman was actually written decently? Do I dare let myself hope?

    (I know Robinson rolled Cheetah's R's too and he wasn't a good WW writer, but at least he gave her villains appropriate power levels)

    Thompson has gotten some pretty good word of mouth from my Marvel fan friends who read his work over there. I liked his SS issue, hopefully Cheetah and Hypnotic Woman both get a good showcase next issue, although given it’s an alt future I’m expecting one or both to die. But if he does well with both next issue, I wouldn’t mind either showing back up in the present day ongoing and rejoining the team.

  2. #317
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Ares was pretty villainous in Messner-Loebs' run. He was also an antagonist in Jimenez' Gods of Gotham and he was the mastermind behind Genocide in Simone's run. And he's the only villain who appeared in some capacity in every major run post-COEI. So I'd say his credentials are still pretty good despite the New 52/Rebirth downgrade.
    He wasn't a villain in Gods of Gotham if I remember correctly. Didn't he punish his children for acting out against Wonder Woman? I just remember him appearing at the end, sending them to Tartarus, then leaving himself.

  3. #318
    Astonishing Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    3,937

    Default

    Various kids and minions of Ares.


  4. #319
    Incredible Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    He wasn't a villain in Gods of Gotham if I remember correctly. Didn't he punish his children for acting out against Wonder Woman? I just remember him appearing at the end, sending them to Tartarus, then leaving himself.
    Ares punished them for turning on him (Eris tried to poison him) but before Diana made him realize it he was perfectly contained with letting them destroy her. So yeah, he wasn't an outright villain but not exactly neutral either.

  5. #320
    Lover of Wonderful Things FutureWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII
    Posts
    289

    Default

    God, I hate when they turn Ares into an impossibly handsome, impossibly ripped, impossibly hairless man; always comes across as fanwank material to appeal to WW's gay male fans. And no, I don't think there is anythign wrong with fanwank material or with being gay (I am queer myself). But I dislike handsome, oversexualized Ares in the same way I dislike how they almost always make superheroes' female antagonists impossibly gorgeous and oversexualized.

  6. #321
    Incredible Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    God, I hate when they turn Ares into an impossibly handsome, impossibly ripped, impossibly hairless man; always comes across as fanwank material to appeal to WW's gay male fans. And no, I don't think there is anythign wrong with fanwank material or with being gay (I am queer myself). But I dislike handsome, oversexualized Ares in the same way I dislike how they almost always make superheroes' female antagonists impossibly gorgeous and oversexualized.
    lol, I love sexy Ares and appreciate the fanwank. And I'm pretty sure straight women do to.

  7. #322
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,513

    Default

    Yeah, I personally think it's refreshing to see some of that sexualization spread out so that it's not just the female characters.

  8. #323
    Astonishing Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    3,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    God, I hate when they turn Ares into an impossibly handsome, impossibly ripped, impossibly hairless man; always comes across as fanwank material to appeal to WW's gay male fans. And no, I don't think there is anythign wrong with fanwank material or with being gay (I am queer myself). But I dislike handsome, oversexualized Ares in the same way I dislike how they almost always make superheroes' female antagonists impossibly gorgeous and oversexualized.
    Idk, I liked Sharp’s reasoning behind it that Greek depictions of Ares usually had him as a pretty boy. And also twist on that characters, or villains, who usually hide their face are usually made to look ugly or hide some deformity/scarring.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-27-2021 at 09:45 AM.

  9. #324
    Lover of Wonderful Things FutureWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Idk, I liked Sharp’s reasoning behind it that Greek depictions of Ares usually had him as a pretty boy. And also twist on that characters, or villains, who usually hide their face are usually made to look ugly or hide some deformity/scarring.
    Fair enough.
    I simply enjoy the Ares whose "face" is covered in shadows and behind a helmet. I have always loved how Perez drew him...where his face should be there was only darkness and two blood-red eyes (with no pupils). I never saw him as some disfigured/deformed monster hiding his deformity, but as some unfathomable, invisible evil so powerfully disturbing that human eyes cannot even comprehend. Frankly, I also find Sharp's beautiful Ares impossibly bland. Like one of those interchangeable The Bachelor hunks that are as exciting as stale bread.
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 01-27-2021 at 11:33 AM.

  10. #325
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Yeah, I personally think it's refreshing to see some of that sexualization spread out so that it's not just the female characters.
    How many times did we see Steve shirtless ?

  11. #326
    Fantastic Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How many times did we see Steve shirtless ?
    When Nichola was drawing him? Like every issue, LOL. Maybe we should have a shirtless Steve appreciation thread.

  12. #327
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Fair enough.
    I simply enjoy the Ares whose "face" is covered in shadows and behind a helmet. I have always loved how Perez drew him...where his face should be there was only darkness and two blood-red eyes (with no pupils). I never saw him as some disfigured/deformed monster hiding his deformity, but as some unfathomable, invisible evil so powerfully disturbing that human eyes cannot even comprehend. Frankly, I also find Sharp's beautiful Ares impossibly bland. Like one of those interchangeable The Bachelor hunks that are as exciting as stale bread.
    Maybe they can just have Ares wear a helmet and nothing else, like Arch. Then we all win.

  13. #328
    Astonishing Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    3,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Fair enough.
    I simply enjoy the Ares whose "face" is covered in shadows and behind a helmet. I have always loved how Perez drew him...where his face should be there was only darkness and two blood-red eyes (with no pupils). I never saw him as some disfigured/deformed monster hiding his deformity, but as some unfathomable, invisible evil so powerfully disturbing that human eyes cannot even comprehend. Frankly, I also find Sharp's beautiful Ares impossibly bland. Like one of those interchangeable The Bachelor hunks that are as exciting as stale bread.
    On that we can agree, it’s a pet peeve of mine when someone draws him with the Perez helmet but gives him a visible face beyond the eyes.

    Like when they give Bane a mouth for his mask.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-27-2021 at 12:14 PM.

  14. #329
    Incredible Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    840

    Default

    I think there's a room for both cause I do love Perez's design as well. Circe has multiple looks so why not other gods?

  15. #330
    Astonishing Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    3,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I think there's a room for both cause I do love Perez's design as well. Circe has multiple looks so why not other gods?
    I agree. I liked it from Rucka's first run where he switched back-and-forth depending on the occasion.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •