Page 22 of 162 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Omg I just realized Cheetah is rolling her R's in Suicide Squad. Only Rucka wrote her like that. Could that mean the writer actually read a Wonder Woman book?! Is that why Hypnotic Woman was actually written decently? Do I dare let myself hope?

(I know Robinson rolled Cheetah's R's too and he wasn't a good WW writer, but at least he gave her villains appropriate power levels)

Thompson has gotten some pretty good word of mouth from my Marvel fan friends who read his work over there. I liked his SS issue, hopefully Cheetah and Hypnotic Woman both get a good showcase next issue, although given it’s an alt future I’m expecting one or both to die. But if he does well with both next issue, I wouldn’t mind either showing back up in the present day ongoing and rejoining the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Ares was pretty villainous in Messner-Loebs' run. He was also an antagonist in Jimenez' Gods of Gotham and he was the mastermind behind Genocide in Simone's run. And he's the only villain who appeared in some capacity in every major run post-COEI. So I'd say his credentials are still pretty good despite the New 52/Rebirth downgrade.
    He wasn't a villain in Gods of Gotham if I remember correctly. Didn't he punish his children for acting out against Wonder Woman? I just remember him appearing at the end, sending them to Tartarus, then leaving himself.

Various kids and minions of Ares.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    He wasn't a villain in Gods of Gotham if I remember correctly. Didn't he punish his children for acting out against Wonder Woman? I just remember him appearing at the end, sending them to Tartarus, then leaving himself.
    Ares punished them for turning on him (Eris tried to poison him) but before Diana made him realize it he was perfectly contained with letting them destroy her. So yeah, he wasn't an outright villain but not exactly neutral either.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

God, I hate when they turn Ares into an impossibly handsome, impossibly ripped, impossibly hairless man; always comes across as fanwank material to appeal to WW's gay male fans. And no, I don't think there is anythign wrong with fanwank material or with being gay (I am queer myself). But I dislike handsome, oversexualized Ares in the same way I dislike how they almost always make superheroes' female antagonists impossibly gorgeous and oversexualized.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    God, I hate when they turn Ares into an impossibly handsome, impossibly ripped, impossibly hairless man; always comes across as fanwank material to appeal to WW's gay male fans. And no, I don't think there is anythign wrong with fanwank material or with being gay (I am queer myself). But I dislike handsome, oversexualized Ares in the same way I dislike how they almost always make superheroes' female antagonists impossibly gorgeous and oversexualized.
    lol, I love sexy Ares and appreciate the fanwank. And I'm pretty sure straight women do to.

Yeah, I personally think it's refreshing to see some of that sexualization spread out so that it's not just the female characters.

Idk, I liked Sharp’s reasoning behind it that Greek depictions of Ares usually had him as a pretty boy. And also twist on that characters, or villains, who usually hide their face are usually made to look ugly or hide some deformity/scarring.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-27-2021 at 09:45 AM.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Idk, I liked Sharp’s reasoning behind it that Greek depictions of Ares usually had him as a pretty boy. And also twist on that characters, or villains, who usually hide their face are usually made to look ugly or hide some deformity/scarring.
    Fair enough.
    I simply enjoy the Ares whose "face" is covered in shadows and behind a helmet. I have always loved how Perez drew him...where his face should be there was only darkness and two blood-red eyes (with no pupils). I never saw him as some disfigured/deformed monster hiding his deformity, but as some unfathomable, invisible evil so powerfully disturbing that human eyes cannot even comprehend. Frankly, I also find Sharp's beautiful Ares impossibly bland. Like one of those interchangeable The Bachelor hunks that are as exciting as stale bread.
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 01-27-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Yeah, I personally think it's refreshing to see some of that sexualization spread out so that it's not just the female characters.
    How many times did we see Steve shirtless ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How many times did we see Steve shirtless ?
    When Nichola was drawing him? Like every issue, LOL. Maybe we should have a shirtless Steve appreciation thread.

Fair enough.
    I simply enjoy the Ares whose "face" is covered in shadows and behind a helmet. I have always loved how Perez drew him...where his face should be there was only darkness and two blood-red eyes (with no pupils). I never saw him as some disfigured/deformed monster hiding his deformity, but as some unfathomable, invisible evil so powerfully disturbing that human eyes cannot even comprehend. Frankly, I also find Sharp's beautiful Ares impossibly bland. Like one of those interchangeable The Bachelor hunks that are as exciting as stale bread.
    Maybe they can just have Ares wear a helmet and nothing else, like Arch. Then we all win.

Fair enough.
    On that we can agree, it’s a pet peeve of mine when someone draws him with the Perez helmet but gives him a visible face beyond the eyes.

Like when they give Bane a mouth for his mask.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-27-2021 at 12:14 PM.

I think there's a room for both cause I do love Perez's design as well. Circe has multiple looks so why not other gods?

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I think there's a room for both cause I do love Perez's design as well. Circe has multiple looks so why not other gods?
    I agree. I liked it from Rucka's first run where he switched back-and-forth depending on the occasion.