Page 41 of 162 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast

Cale already kind of fills that "scorned mother" role so I'd prefer Lyta to stay gone personally.

One of my favorite covers. Captures the tone of the issue so well.

You know, it's interesting how Barbara's Cheetah was tied to the moon originally, Diana is tied to the moon because of her name and later The Witching Hour storyline, and Circe was tied to the moon because of Hecate. I'm surprised no one made a storyline about that since the moon is often associated with women and Hecate, a 3 faced goddess.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    One of my favorite covers. Captures the tone of the issue so well.

You know, it's interesting how Barbara's Cheetah was tied to the moon originally, Diana is tied to the moon because of her name and later The Witching Hour storyline, and Circe was tied to the moon because of Hecate. I'm surprised no one made a storyline about that since the moon is often associated with women and Hecate, a 3 faced goddess.
    I think Perez was trying to go with something with Diana being Artemis and Cheetah as probably one of the animals she hunts. Or like how heroes from Greek myth often have a famous animal-like creature they face off against; Hercules and the Nemean Lion, Theseus and the Minotaur, etc).

Barbara's pretty far removed from the moon stuff nowadays so I can see why it's largely been left by the wayside.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

This is the very first Wonder Woman cover I ever laid eyes on. The very first Wonder Woman comic I ever read (WW # 252, 1979), and the start of my love affair with Diana. Has Astarte the Empress of the Silver Snake ever appeared again? I would love if someone reimagined this villainess!!!

RCO001_1583708450.jpg

Simone did a revamp of her near the tail-end of her run.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Simone did a revamp of her near the tail-end of her run.

Really??? You mention "her" run? Whose? Gail Simone's?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think Perez was trying to go with something with Diana being Artemis and Cheetah as probably one of the animals she hunts. Or like how heroes from Greek myth often have a famous animal-like creature they face off against; Hercules and the Nemean Lion, Theseus and the Minotaur, etc).

Barbara's pretty far removed from the moon stuff nowadays so I can see why it's largely been left by the wayside.
    Rucka seems to have positioned her more into the mortal cursed into the monster archetype, like Medusa or Lamia.

Funnily enough, Marston's narration in Priscilla's first appearance described her as a "modern day Medusa," even though that description fits Barbara far better.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Really??? You mention "her" run? Whose? Gail Simone's?
    Yes, sorry it was Gail Simone's WW run.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Rucka seems to have positioned her more into the mortal cursed into the monster archetype, like Medusa or Lamia.

Funnily enough, Marston's narration in Priscilla's first appearance described her as a "modern day Medusa," even though that description fits Barbara far better.
    Noticed that too when I read Cheetah's first appearance. Though I guess even Perez's Barbara fits into some of the earlier pre-Ovid versions of Medusa where she was less sympathetic but still probably didn't deserve what happened to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Cale already kind of fills that "scorned mother" role so I'd prefer Lyta to stay gone personally.
    Why "scorned" mother? There's more interesting things you could do with Lyta than just a focus for Circe's angst. More so if it's a Wonder-Girl story than Wonder Woman.

Just imagine the Teen Titans trying to keep a teen demi-goddess from using her powers to be a trouble-maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Happy love day y’all! With a heroine who embodies love, you would think that a good chunk of her villains embody the antithesis of love in various different ways. Whether it be as petty as jealousy or as extreme as hate. What villains embody the antithesis of love and challenge Wonder Woman’s world view?
    Dr. Psycho - Love without consent
    Cheetah - Love to hunt/kill
    Circe - Love for themselves
    Silver Swan - Jealousy

Incredible Member

Beautiful! Who is that on the Pegasus in the background?