Page 6 of 162 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

I have accepted, and I think most WW fans should accept, that writers and editors aren't interested in making Doctor Cyber anything, like an archenemy in the comic. The WW comic has its own Doctor Doom, Galactus, Kraven the Hunter, so on...editors don't care! They will never give Cyber or these other potential a-list badguys the kind of development required to make them a Brianiac or a Green Goblin. I've accepted that we'll never see that. Fine.

Writers, who sign up to write WW stories, seem content to spam out more Circe, Ares and Cheetah stories, ..what they typically find at the top of the story pile, since Crisis. That said, Circe, as James Tynion has been writing her in the JLD stories, has been shaped into something worthy of WW's archenemy spot...now. A sorceress-princess, who kills the abusive king her people begged her to marry, she finds herself hounded into the Underworld, where the Witch Goddess gives her magical power enough to survive ..and, finally, to strike back, at the loathsome, cowardly parasites of Earth (us). Among the Wonder-rogues, she may be the only super-villain, who deserves her villainy, and whom fans will come to sympathize with.

It is only now, in James Tynion's hands and returned to her Golden Age motivation, that I find Circe worthy of real appreciation, because Tynion has given her a story of struggle. Struggle is what makes Luthor, Joker and Darth Vader the best villains of all time, and why fans cheer them on, as much as we cheer on their enemy heroes. I'm not crazy about the prophecy or witch-mark thing, leftover from the Golden Age, but will tolerate it, ..solely because of what Tynion has given her.

I want to see 'Young Circe' stories! I want to see Circe, frightened, desperate and fleeing the cosmic persecution of the Olympians, into dark dimensions and weird, magical realms. I want to see Circe confronting fellow Titans, enslaved by the Olympians and sent into the universe, in ancient times, to destroy her, ..simply because she's Hecate's heir or Helios's daughter or a Titan. I want to see her forced to serve other dark, powerful beings, to survive, ..barely escaping their power, after seducing them and betraying them, somehow, before returning to Earth, ..for a final, well-earned REVENGE, on all of us! When are we getting the backstory?!

Tynion has opened this character up, simplified her motivation for villainy, given her a relatable struggle and, at long last, made her a foe, worthy of Wonder Woman.

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-05-2021 at 10:55 PM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Ugh, stop. I can't be reminded of Vol. 2 of TLOWW being cancelled. That Blue Snowman... so good...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    My favorites will always be WW's original core rogues gallery, the ladies of Villainy Inc.:

Golden Age Cheetah (Priscilla Rich)
    from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. IV (June 1985)

Bronze Age Cheetah (Deborah Domaine)
    from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. IV (June 1985)

post-Crisis on Infinite Earths Cheetah (Barbara Ann Minerva)

from Who's Who Update '87 Vol. 2 (September 1987)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Sometimes when I see stuff like this and get reminded of cancellation I wonder if there's a force out there targeting me specifically. We have something that looks like an actual update to the character's origin story (i.e. establishing when her and Wonder Woman met) rather than just having her as a throwaway character in a "hey this character exists" kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Sometimes when I see stuff like this and get reminded of cancellation I wonder if there's a force out there targeting me specifically. We have something that looks like an actual update to the character's origin story (i.e. establishing when her and Wonder Woman met) rather than just having her as a throwaway character in a "hey this character exists" kind of way.
    That is an annoying type of fan service, yes.

I liked mechsuit Blue Snowman visually from Robinson's run but also didn't care she was just kind of thrown in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Maybe someday we'll get that proper Legend of Wonder Woman follow up...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If DC can run Injustice and DCeased even more into the ground, might as well revive something good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering all the people DC has let go recently, maybe the new people in charge could work something out?

Hey, one can hope . . .

Blue Snowman: Introduced in Sensation Comics #59 (November 1946)

and in the end revealed to be . . .

Am I the only one who would like an updated version of Priscilla Rich? I think it's more complex and stylish than the Barbara Minerva version and I love the idea that she is obsessed with pelts and would love that she wears a cheetah suit instead of actually turning into a suit.

Kinda like Cruella de Vil except she hunts mythical creatures and creates clothes out of them which she then sells to excentric buyers with curses on them from abusive magic she learned through the chaotic gods of various mythologies.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-06-2021 at 04:34 PM.