Page 62 of 162 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Pretty cool reinvention of The Mask from the past few Sensational Wonder Woman issues

I'm in love with her eye makeup. Such a great detail. I liked The Mask issues, and I was happy she chose villainy over motherhood and Wondy's inspirational speech. I would love to see her in future issues or in the canon universe.

The Mask, Giganta, Warmaster, Colonel Poison, we're getting a lot of mercenaries in Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post

I’m not crazy about the Vanessa/Swan design. Swans in real life don’t look dangerous (though they are, says Wikipedia), so I prefer Helen and Valerie’s soft and feathery look. Vanessa looks like she should be called Silver Vulture.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I liked Vanessa's design for the Silver Swan even if bringing her and Julia back the way they did was done so poorly.
    Vanessa's design convicted me that all Silver Swans should have tassels in their costumes.

We could always hope Julia is still alive and Dr. Psycho just messed up their minds to make Vanessa think her mother is dead and Julia think she doesn't have a daughter. Honestly, that would explain why Diana never heard of Julia's "death", cuz she never died.

But we can only hope.

I liked the '77 disco band version of Silver Swan. Feels like something the show would have done if they actually adapted the costumed villains.
    Yeah I wish the 70's tv show adapted more WW villains, it would help make them more known to the public.

Luciana Vecchio

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I’m not crazy about the Vanessa/Swan design. Swans in real life don’t look dangerous (though they are, says Wikipedia), so I prefer Helen and Valerie’s soft and feathery look. Vanessa looks like she should be called Silver Vulture.
    That’s fair but I would add point out that 90% of what makes villains be taken seriously is their looks. Venom has coasted his entire existence off of looking really cool and threatening so if you want Diana’s Rogues to be taken seriously, I don’t know if making them look cute and cuddly is the best option
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s fair but I would add point out that 90% of what makes villains be taken seriously is their looks. Venom has coasted his entire existence off of looking really cool and threatening so if you want Diana’s Rogues to be taken seriously, I don’t know if making them look cute and cuddly is the best option
    Same with heroes. Character design is everything since people judge a lot based on appearances (but personality and great stories is what what often gets them to stay with that character).

You could even argue a lot of what helped George Perez when he relaunched Wonder Woman were his amazing character designs, especially the villains. Ares, Circe and Cheetah new designs, plus being coupled with some great stories are the reason these characters are still considered Diana's "big three" over 30 years later.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-08-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Yeah...Venom should look deadly because he’s named Venom and not...”Nectar”.

The appeal of the (original) Silver Swan character is that she made a deal with the devil (Ares) because she wanted to be beautiful, not because she wanted to be threatening. The character works if the writer can demonstrate she is a force to be reckoned with despite what she looks like.

I know Vanessa became the Swan under completely different circumstances, but the original motivation/design is more interesting to me.

The appeal of the (original) Silver Swan character is that she made a deal with the devil (Ares) because she wanted to be beautiful, not because she wanted to be threatening. The character works if the writer can demonstrate she is a force to be reckoned with despite what she looks like.

I know Vanessa became the Swan under completely different circumstances, but the original motivation/design is more interesting to me.
    I agree for the most part, I think that works for Helen's iteration of the Swan and she works best as an ongoing villain but I think the more mechanical body horror elements work for if the character is Vanessa.

I think the '77 look shows you can have sharp elements in the character design and balance out the beautiful and threatening. But I agree with what you are saying that she became Silver Swan under different circumstances (both how and why) and should have a softer look, especially when compared to Venessa.

Yeah, Vanessa really is a different circumstance since there was supposed to be a horror element about her Silver Swan. Even Phil Jimenez gave her a creepy dead-eyed stare and a lot of spikes in his design for her.

I think the '77 look shows you can have sharp elements in the character design and balance out the beautiful and threatening. But I agree with what you are saying that she became Silver Swan under different circumstances (both how and why) and should have a softer look, especially when compared to Venessa.

Yeah, Vanessa really is a different circumstance since there was supposed to be a horror element about her Silver Swan. Even Phil Jimenez gave her a creepy dead-eyed stare and a lot of spikes in his design for her.
    I think the ‘77 design is great.

I liked Barbara's '77 origin. It was simple, but having the museum toss out her lives work for Wonder Woman was a short but effective way to give get Barbara to hate Diana.

I liked Barbara's '77 origin. It was simple, but having the museum toss out her lives work for Wonder Woman was a short but effective way to give get Barbara to hate Diana.
    I liked the simplified origin with getting her powers from Mafdet rather than the whole process with Urzkartaga.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I hope the new creative team gives us more Amazon/Apokalips hybrids, and travel the multiverse. I’d love to see Diana have an adventure on Earth’s 2 & 3, like Batman & Superman regularly did pre-Crisis.