Page 82 of 162 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 2427

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Queen Clea is such a great character - a fantastic foe for Diana and/or Hippolyta.
    Yeah, I didn't like WW2 Wonder Woman Hippolyta but I like the idea of maybe her and Clea having some past encounters with one another.

They should make Clea a demigod (a daughter of Thetis perhaps?). An ordinary Atlantean shouldn't be much of a challenge for Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I didn't like WW2 Wonder Woman Hippolyta but I like the idea of maybe her and Clea having some past encounters with one another.
    Especially what with Clea having a villainous daughter in Ptra who was kinda like a villainous counterpart to Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    They should make Clea a demigod (a daughter of Thetis perhaps?). An ordinary Atlantean shouldn't be much of a challenge for Diana.
    I had a similar idea only Oceanus (Titan sea god). Maybe even give her hydrokinesis, "water-bending", powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Especially what with Clea having a villainous daughter in Ptra who was kinda like a villainous counterpart to Diana.
    Huh, just realized that that's supposed a Cleopatra pun there.

You know something I’ve noticed with a lot of villains these days, it’s that writers are more focused on having the villains make sense culturally with the hero. (This also extends to made-up cultures in the comes as well.)
    While I do think it’s a fun way to introduce and explore other cultures by having the hero overcome monsters and various ne’er-do-wells from their respective cultures, a lot of the iconic villains make no freakin’ sense when you compare them to their respective heroes.

If Martson has stuck to Greek or Greek themed characters for Wonder Woman, no-one from Villainy Inc. would be a thing. Wonder Woman fighting a cheetah themed villain makes no sense, (if Marston cared to make it make sense, Pricilla would have been lion themed), nor does Dr. Psycho or Giganta.

Also the writers feel like the villain has to be a spin-off of another established villain. (But that’s more for marketing)

I don’t really know what point I’m trying to make (or if I even have a point), it’s just something I’ve noticed.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    You know something I’ve noticed with a lot of villains these days, it’s that writers are more focused on having the villains make sense culturally with the hero. (This also extends to made-up cultures in the comes as well.)
    While I do think it’s a fun way to introduce and explore other cultures by having the hero overcome monsters and various ne’er-do-wells from their respective cultures, a lot of the iconic villains make no freakin’ sense when you compare them to their respective heroes.

If Martson has stuck to Greek or Greek themed characters for Wonder Woman, no-one from Villainy Inc. would be a thing. Wonder Woman fighting a cheetah themed villain makes no sense, (if Marston cared to make it make sense, Pricilla would have been lion themed), nor does Dr. Psycho or Giganta.

Also the writers feel like the villain has to be a spin-off of another established villain. (But that’s more for marketing)

I don’t really know what point I’m trying to make (or if I even have a point), it’s just something I’ve noticed.
    You're not alone in noticing this. I think it makes all rogues galleries seem smaller and less varied.

I definitely prefer a "come up with a cool design and power with a great name and throw them at the hero" mindset. Wonder Woman's Golden Age rogues gallery is my favorite set of villains for her for this reason. The only issues is needing to update their power levels or make their gimmicks versatile, but seeing what certain versions of Cheetah, Circe and Dr. Psycho are capable of in modern times, it really shouldn't be that difficult.

Really wish Tim Seeley would write more Wonder Woman. How many people expected a writer to casually bring back Crimson Centipede for a modern story?!

Well Giganta does lol

He seems a bit more like a Shazam villain in my opinion.

I always loved that Crimson Centipede! Lol, right hands fire guns, left hands have fists! If Diana was fast enough to block 8 guns at once, she was super-swift too.

That new CC is really scary!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I would reimagine him as an alien and that's what his species looks like.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    You're not alone in noticing this. I think it makes all rogues galleries seem smaller and less varied.

I definitely prefer a "come up with a cool design and power with a great name and throw them at the hero" mindset. Wonder Woman's Golden Age rogues gallery is my favorite set of villains for her for this reason. The only issues is needing to update their power levels or make their gimmicks versatile, but seeing what certain versions of Cheetah, Circe and Dr. Psycho are capable of in modern times, it really shouldn't be that difficult.

Really wish Tim Seeley would write more Wonder Woman. How many people expected a writer to casually bring back Crimson Centipede for a modern story?!
    Or Eviless/Saturna. Not even Jimenez brought her back.

Last edited by Gaius; 05-22-2021 at 12:50 PM.

The most important thing for a villain to be is a challenge for the hero to overcome, and a lesson for the hero (and by extension the audience) to learn from. Ultimately, the villain's gimmick need only matter to the villain. Blue Snowman doesn't dress up like a snowman for Wonder Woman.

You're just limiting the characters if you don't branch out. Plus the best part about comics is how freaking weird they are.

Also, could you imagine if like an alien attacked a city and Diana was like, "Sorry, I only fight people and creatures from Greek mythology." *hair flip*

Crimson Centipede is somehow less terrifying to me as a giant centipede than a weird green man with a bunch of arms and legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Well Giganta does lol
    Not initially. Her being a giant came way later and even then it had nothing to do with Greek myth.

Even now, plenty of stories don't really put two-and-two together. (I think Jimenez did, if I'm remembering that correctly?)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Or Eviless/Saturna. Not even Jimenez brought her back.
    It's really weird that Jimenez established Clea, Zara and Hypnota as Hippolyta's GA rogues gallery, but didn't touch Eviless or Blue Snowman.

Like if you're already doing Villainy Inc, why not go all out? Alternatively, I would have liked to see them in the modern incarnation instead of Titans villains (Trinity and Jinx)

Think a lot of it has to do with the the shared universe, or writers and creative over-thinking the shared universe concept, where characters are put in niches to make them standout. Why you don't really see Superman fight magic-based characters for the most part (besides debatably Mxy).

I guess it's more obvious for DC characters since ones like WW, Supes, Bats were created to be in their own universes but I've noticed even in Marvel adaptations they streamline stuff to make villains feel more like they "fit" a hero's world. Like how Spider-Man villains in the MCU seem to be Tony Stark rejects or in some stuff the creations of Osborn.