Page 83 of 162 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2427

I confess the one thing that confuses me about Eviless is that in the story that introduced her prior to forming Villainy Inc, she had this psychic 'Don't notice me!' power that never got used in Villainy Inc.
    The whole 'evil alien from a planet that reveres capitalism and thinks things like Villainy are noble traits' angle really has alot to work with on top of the psychic powers and advanced alien technology too.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think they should make the Crimson Centipede a trickster like demon that escapes from Dooms Doorway and of course enjoys devouring others.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think a lot of it has to do with the the shared universe, or writers and creative over-thinking the shared universe concept, where characters are put in niches to make them standout. Why you don't really see Superman fight magic-based characters for the most part (besides debatably Mxy).

I guess it's more obvious for DC characters since ones like WW, Supes, Bats were created to be in their own universes but I've noticed even in Marvel adaptations they streamline stuff to make villains feel more like they "fit" a hero's world. Like how Spider-Man villains in the MCU seem to be Tony Stark rejects or in some stuff the creations of Osborn.
    I feel like it's the same kind of thought processes that lead to one of the complaints about the new Mortal Kombat movie: the studio or filmmakers felt like all of this wildly different fantasy and sci-fi stuff existing in the same setting didn't mesh, so that's what lead to the lame reasoning that Jax's robot arms had to be connected to the same thing that gave Liu Kang his fire powers or whatever.

Like no, all this wildly different fantasy stuff just exists in the same space, logic be damned, and that's what makes it cool and people love it. Wonder Woman's origins have ties to Greek myth, but that doesn't mean everything should be narrowed down to focus on just that. I feel like her villains should be tied to that only when it makes sense and isn't enough of a change that they become unrecognizable. But if a modern writer wants to tell a Queen Atomia story but is being prevented because there isn't a way to tie Atomia into Greek myth, something went wrong somewhere because that's a terrible reason.

Think a lot of it has to do with the the shared universe, or writers and creative over-thinking the shared universe concept, where characters are put in niches to make them standout. Why you don't really see Superman fight magic-based characters for the most part (besides debatably Mxy).

I guess it's more obvious for DC characters since ones like WW, Supes, Bats were created to be in their own universes but I've noticed even in Marvel adaptations they streamline stuff to make villains feel more like they "fit" a hero's world. Like how Spider-Man villains in the MCU seem to be Tony Stark rejects or in some stuff the creations of Osborn.
    I also think WW's got 80 years of history and for a sizable chunk of it the Greek mythos was secondary. Even when Perez went hard on the Greek mythos it was still closer to 50/50. So went they went 100% on the Greek myth with New52 (to the point she was only fighting creatures and people from Greek myth) is was very noticeable to older readers.

I was thinking about Carol Danvers and I couldn't really remember when she wasn't fighting a kree-themed villain, or something related to the Brood, or Rouge (again). Only recently did they bring magic into her books as a forefront concept. Also Marvel makes heroes fight each other a lot.

And the movies (both DCEU and MCU) cut back hard on the wacky comic adventures. If you tell a non-comic reader the X-Men had a wide variety of space adventures, went to demon dimensions and found dinosaurs still alive under Antarctica, they'd say, "You mean they don't only fight bad mutants and the government?"

But yeah, I think DC writers now are more "stick to your lane" about what genre they put their heroes in. Bats get's gritty noir, Sups get sy-fy space adventures, and Wondy gets mythology and magic.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I feel like it's the same kind of thought processes that lead to one of the complaints about the new Mortal Kombat movie: the studio or filmmakers felt like all of this wildly different fantasy and sci-fi stuff existing in the same setting didn't mesh, so that's what lead to the lame reasoning that Jax's robot arms had to be connected to the same thing that gave Liu Kang his fire powers or whatever.

Like no, all this wildly different fantasy stuff just exists in the same space, logic be damned, and that's what makes it cool and people love it. Wonder Woman's origins have ties to Greek myth, but that doesn't mean everything should be narrowed down to focus on just that. I feel like her villains should be tied to that only when it makes sense and isn't enough of a change that they become unrecognizable. But if a modern writer wants to tell a Queen Atomia story but is being prevented because there isn't a way to tie Atomia into Greek myth, something went wrong somewhere because that's a terrible reason.
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind if a character like Giganta was given a tie to some mythology stuff but no reason to re-invent someone Atomia so drastically if a writer wanted to use her. Think this is also the same logic for why whenever Clea comes up people say she should be an Aquaman villain.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Anyone expecting MK to make sense has never looked at the box art of the game itself.

I had a similar idea only Oceanus (Titan sea god). Maybe even give her hydrokinesis, "water-bending", powers.
    Heh, one idea I had was if Circe had a daughter with Glaucus, the same sort of thing would make sense. In the myths Circe had a thing for Glaucus but that was in the old days. If they had a daughter she'd be almost as old as Hercules. But it would make sense for such a being to have water manipulation powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think they should make the Crimson Centipede a trickster like demon that escapes from Dooms Doorway and of course enjoys devouring others.
    That would also be pretty cool.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I confess I kinda like Crimson Centipedes original origin of being a creation of Ares whose sole purpose is causing trouble. It leaves one wondering just what made Ares think to dream up something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I confess I kinda like Crimson Centipedes original origin of being a creation of Ares whose sole purpose is causing trouble. It leaves one wondering just what made Ares think to dream up something like that
    I just got a visual of Ares being a hype-man or a proud father to Centipedes shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I just got a visual of Ares being a hype-man or a proud father to Centipedes shenanigans.
    Ares: “Crimson Centipede was always the favorite of my children”

Deimos and Phobos: “What?”

Ares: “You heard me”

Oh my gosh, ive discovered the greatest take.

Oh my gosh, ive discovered the greatest take.

Its up for some debate, but it comes down to either Villainy Inc, or Captain Marvels 'Monster Society of Evil'
    Certainly the first in DC however, as either story released decades before Fawcett would be merged in.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    The Injustice Society got there before them in 1947 in All-Star Comics.

And so did Captain Marvel Adventures with The Monsters Society of Evil. But I don’t think every member was introduced separately before appearing in that group.

So I guess you could argue Villainy Inc. was the first villain team to appear in a superhero’s solo comic, where every villain had been introduced in separate stories before forming a team. (Besides them being the first female villain team of corse.)
    There was a group called The Hand, iirc, that was an enemy of the Seven Soldiers of Victory that pre-dates Villainy Inc and the Monster Society of Evil (usually the other claimant to the title of first).

Though yes, like I’m a Fish said. Villainy Inc is the first one where everyone on the team debuted before the group coming together.

Of course villains team up/interacting wasn’t entirely new. Joker and Catwoman and then Joker and Penguin had team ups in issues of Batman.
    That clears it up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    They should make Clea a demigod (a daughter of Thetis perhaps?). An ordinary Atlantean shouldn't be much of a challenge for Diana.
    Maybe she trained really, really hard to be able to do that? :P

What was Marston's explanation for her power?

"Watch! This centipede will do a better job than you two!"

I would love to see the Paper Man make a reappearance:

There was a character in 'The Jackie Chan Adventures' with paper powers that showcased that potential of paper based powers: