Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Mr. & Mrs. X: Gambit and Rogue Appreciation 2021

Mr. & Mrs. X: The Gambit and Rogue Appreciation Thread 2021 (a.k.a. Southern Comfort)

Welcome to the Gambit and Rogue appreciation thread for 2021!

As we begin 2021, Rogue and Gambit currently serve as side characters in the Excalibur series.

Not much happened for them in the series so far: Rogue became trapped in a flower coffin, Remy spent several issues trying to free her, she eventually got out and killed Apocalypse who stayed dead for two whole panels, the flower coffin and Apocalypse absorption have seemed to have no lasting effects or consequences for Rogue, during a sexy hot tub hang out Rogue declares she doesn't want children and Remy acts like he doesn't care about it, they help hunt and kill some Warwolves, Remy betrays Candra to Apocalypse ... that's about it.

As we start the year, Rogue has taken on the role of team lead with Remy at her side in a quest to recover Betsy who appeared to have died Otherworld.

Hopefully 2021 will be a better year and we see some actual significant developments for Gambit and Rogue.

KEY SERIES:
    - X-Men (1991)
    - Gambit LS (1993)
    - Rogue LS (1995)
    - X-Treme X-Men (vol 1) (2001)
    - Rogue (2004)
    - Gambit (1999, 2004, 2012)
    - Rogue & Gambit (2017)
    - Mr & Mrs X (2018)
    - Excalibur (2019)

KEY ISSUES:
    - Uncanny X-Men #278-279: Gambit and Rogue meet for the first time.
    - X-Men #3: Gambit flirts with Rogue for the first time.
    - X-Men #4: Gambit and Rogue's official first date, abruptly ended by Omega Red.
    - X-Men #8: The boysenberry pie incident.
    - Uncanny X-Men #297: Gambit proves he is serious with a blanket on a rooftop.
    - X-Men #24: Gambit and Rogue's first non-disastrous date.
    - X-Men #30: Jean and Scott's wedding. Gambit catches the garter and Rogue catches the bouquet.
    - X-Men #41: Gambit and Rogue's first kiss as reality ends.
    - X-Men #45: Gambit catches up with a runaway Rogue only to have her break his heart.
    - Uncanny X-Men #348: Gambit and Rogue's first time. In a cave. Yep.
    - Uncanny X-Men #350: The Trial of Gambit in Antarctica.
    - X-Men #81: Gambit and Rogue reunite after Antarctica.
    - X-Treme X-Men #16-18: Vargas stabs Gambit and Rogue through the heart, and Rogue brings Gambit back from heaven.
    - X-Treme X-Men X-Pose #2: Gambit and Rogue move to Valle Soleada.
    - X-Treme X-Men #31: Gambit and Rogue's lives in Valle Soleada.
    - X-Men Legacy #224: Rogue gains control of her powers, and is happy to test them out on Gambit.
    - Astonishing X-Men #4: Gambit and Rogue enjoy hot-tub time in the Shadow King's realities.
    - Rogue and Gambit #1-5: Rogue and Gambit reconnect and rekindle their relationship while on an undercover mission.
    - X-Men Wedding Special #1: Rogue talks to Kitty about her renewed feelings for Gambit.
    - X-Men Gold #30: Gambit and Rogue steal a wedding
    - Merry X-Men Holiday Special #1: Gambit and Rogue face off against their cat in a battle of pills.
    - Mr. & Mrs.X #1-12: Their adventures as newlyweds - a space honeymoon gone astray, hosting a party, kidnapped by Mojo, Rogue struggles with and regains control over her powers, Gambit reclaims his King of Thieves status.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-03-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Happy New Year all! The votes have been tallied and here are the themes/prompts for Rogue and Gambit fanworks week. Click the link for full details.

https://roguegambitweek.tumblr.com/p...mbit-week-2021

Day 1 - Sunday, February 21st - Meeting Family
    Day 2 - Monday, February 22nd - Heist
    Day 3 - Tuesday, February 23rd - Gambit teaching Rogue to pick locks
    Day 4 - Wednesday, February 24th - Time Travel
    Day 5 - Thursday, February 25th - ‘Irene’ or ‘Olivier, Rebecca, and Irene being raised together’
    Day 6 - Friday, February 26th - ‘Trust Me’
    Day 7 - Saturday, February 27th - Alternate Universe

I have the impression that our best hopes for Romy in this year 2021 reside in the upcoming novel Rogue: Untouched

Happy New Year! And yay new thread!
    Make Good Art

Happy New Year to Rogue and Gambit .

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I have the impression that our best hopes for Romy in this year 2021 reside in the upcoming novel Rogue: Untouched
    Yeah, and that's the only thing I am looking forward to this year for now aside from the Claremont Anniversary Special for some Gambit action. I don't expect Excalibur to be any different for them than last year.

Rogue was the topic in the latest episode of CerebroCast podcast with guest host Cass Morris. You can listen here: https://twitter.com/CerebroCast/stat...110969345?s=19

Overall I found it a decent discussion and was very glad Cass was there as somewhat of a foil to the main host Conner. It was a relief to not get a slew of Gambit hate or ambivalence as Cass is a fan of the pairing and I enjoyed her singing the praises of R&G and MMX. I usually struggle to relate to the main host in a lot of the previous episodes, so having Cass on helped immensely. They both have a far more rosy opinion of Excalibur than a lot of us here, which tracks since the main host is an agent for both Tini and Cass and are probably all friends. So it would be hard not to have some conflicts of interests there. Their opinions on Rogue's relationships with Joseph and Magneto in particular made me very cringey and they gave Milligan's run too much credit for my taste.

But I also found some areas of common ground, at least enough to find it somewhat enjoyable. Seems like everyone can at least agree that Remender was the worst. If you give it a listen let me know what you think.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-01-2021 at 01:43 PM.

One of my favorite couples in the history of Marvel Comics (and comic books in general, of course ):

Happy New Year 2021!!!

Last edited by Purplevit; 01-01-2021 at 04:12 PM.

I have to admit I'm still in awe of how Kelly managed to rekindle general interest in Romy with such intensity in just five issues

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Rogue was the topic in the latest episode of CerebroCast podcast with guest host Cass Morris. You can listen here: https://twitter.com/CerebroCast/stat...110969345?s=19

Overall I found it a decent discussion and was very glad Cass was there as somewhat of a foil to the main host Conner. It was a relief to not get a slew of Gambit hate or ambivalence as Cass is a fan of the pairing and I enjoyed her singing the praises of R&G and MMX. I usually struggle to relate to the main host in a lot of the previous episodes, so having Cass on helped immensely. They both have a far more rosy opinion of Excalibur than a lot of us here, which tracks since the main host is an agent for both Tini and Cass and are probably all friends. So it would be hard not to have some conflicts of interests there. Their opinions on Rogue's relationships with Joseph and Magneto in particular made me very cringey and they gave Milligan's run too much credit for my taste.

But I also found some areas of common ground, at least enough to find it somewhat enjoyable. Seems like everyone can at least agree that Remender was the worst. If you give it a listen let me know what you think.
    It seems that outer sphere of the comic industry is trapped in a dependency on good will from the big two. Marvel more so then DC. Add to that conflicting interests like a desire to get hired by said company.

I have tried reading reviews of Excalibur. It's a maddening endeavaour. I think one reviewer gave the last issue 9,3 of a possible 10. Insanity if one is to look at reviewing as a serious craft. Witch I do. 9,3 is a number very few comicbooks in the history of comicbooks have reached. Do we even have one issue that is a perfect 10? Yet Excalibur 16 is for some reason a 9,3...

I used too wait for someone to actually ask not even tough questions but some questions with a little bit of criticue. Now I'm more used to this endless match of softballs. Where fans are either in the "it's good lolz" or the "I'm a hater" catergory, no substance or anything inbetween. If you see a interesting post in this forum you can bet that it won't be discussed. Instead we are having discussion on how good Rictor looks in the latest outfit To has chosen to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I have to admit I'm still in awe of how Kelly managed to rekindle general interest in Romy with such intensity in just five issues
    Tell you the truth, I think there were a lot of fans just sitting in waiting for this series to happen- just look at fan works. Clearly it didn't work for everyone, but since the absolute majority of comicbook relationships have toxic elements and eras with bad writing, it was a huge breath of fresh air to see a writer build up something beautiful and positive that so many fans had wanted for so long rather than just trash it. Building is always harder than breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    It seems that outer sphere of the comic industry is trapped in a dependency on good will from the big two. Marvel more so then DC. Add to that conflicting interests like a desire to get hired by said company.

I have tried reading reviews of Excalibur. It's a maddening endeavaour. I think one reviewer gave the last issue 9,3 of a possible 10. Insanity if one is to look at reviewing as a serious craft. Witch I do. 9,3 is a number very few comicbooks in the history of comicbooks have reached. Do we even have one issue that is a perfect 10? Yet Excalibur 16 is for some reason a 9,3...

I used too wait for someone to actually ask not even tough questions but some questions with a little bit of criticue. Now I'm more used to this endless match of softballs. Where fans are either in the "it's good lolz" or the "I'm a hater" catergory, no substance or anything inbetween. If you see a interesting post in this forum you can bet that it won't be discussed. Instead we are having discussion on how good Rictor looks in the latest outfit To has chosen to draw.
    Yeah, I don't know that there are a lot of review sites that have the ability to be unbiased. I really don't read them. As you say, it's generally a conflict of interest to give negative press to an industry you want to work in and if you want creators to interact with you you have to be careful with reviews. And clearly we all have our own implicit biases, that can't be helped. Better to own up to them. I do feel like harsh as CBR can be at times, the fan reviews here are far more raw and honest and at least fans tend to be fairly transparent about their biases.

There's definitely a balance between hating everything that isn't specifically happening the exact way you want it versus just praising everything indiscriminately with rose colored glasses. I think we've all seen examples of both on the forums.

As for this podcast, like much of the X-Men media on Twitter it's not actually geared too heavily toward reviewing or critiquing the media. It's basically summarizing it and giving some personal opinions on it. Whether those opinions are good or not is up to the listener. Like most things in life, it's neither black or white but kinda gray.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Tell you the truth, I think there were a lot of fans just sitting in waiting for this series to happen- just look at fan works. Clearly it didn't work for everyone, but since the absolute majority of comicbook relationships have toxic elements and eras with bad writing, it was a huge breath of fresh air to see a writer build up something beautiful and positive that so many fans had wanted for so long rather than just trash it. Building is always harder than breaking.
    I know
    I was thinking more about the fact that Marvel sees Romy as a flagship couple again (so much so that they devote quite a few variant covers to them to make sure to keep the fans while the X-office doesn't want to do anything with them)