Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    I dont think x-men will live all the time on x-men head quarters on NYC. they probably have bedrooms, gym, kitchen there but it won't be the main house if the characters doesn't want to
    Maybe. The most logical thing would be for them to live again in their house on Krakoa or their New York rooftop flat, but I don't trust Duggan or Howard to be honest.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    There are fictional married couples that work on separate teams...and in real life some have to spend time overseas for work (musicians, actors etc...). They're both adventurers so it's part of the package. I don't read Superman but I'm sure Clark's had to spend months away from Lois for Justice League business. I think Scott & Jean and Reed & Sue have gone through this too.

This new X-Men roster is only going to last for 1 year (12 issues)...until the next election. The only thing that confuses me is Gambit's motivation to remain in Excalibur. Btw, isn't there teleportation involved? It really isn't that big of an issue.
    Yes. The new X-Men HQ are in NY so with the krakoan portals Gambit and Rogue living together shouldn't be a problem, but what I mean is, are we going to see where they live? Rogue and Gambit move into the lighthouse to help Betsy, and now what will they do? Are we going to see them sharing panel time together somewhere? Can you imagine Duggan or Tini Howard showing that at some point? And yes, I agree, they can work in separate teams, but in the same way that it doesn't make any sense that Gambit is still in Excalibur, it doesn't make any sense narratively speaking that a recent marriage doesn't share any moment together somewhere, editorially it's killing that marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzz View Post
    Maybe. The most logical thing would be for them to live again in their house on Krakoa or their New York rooftop flat, but I don't trust Duggan or Howard to be honest.
    Yeah, i dont trust these two about the relationship.

Well with the gates everything is on a walking distance, so living in more than one place is very possible. If they have a Apartment on NYC makes sense make it their primary home while she is on X-men team.
    With gates the concept of home takes a new meaning when you an go many places just by walking

AIPT: No objections there! Also, in the X-Men announcement, Gerry said “Krakoa will grow roots in the capitol of the world, New York City.” Can we expect a Big Apple-based headquarters for the X-Men? The same NYC where Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four and other superheroes live?

Jordan: It really sounds that way from what Gerry said, doesn’t it? And the answer is yes. You’ll see. It’s going to be awesome.
    Intriguing. Very interested in this. The how and why of it all.
    And yes, with the availability of Krakoan gates, I would honestly love it if Rogue regularly left this new base to spend her down time with Remy. Do I see that happening? No.
    And I don't even mean that as a point of contention necessarily, because I'm honestly so thrilled to see how Rogue is handled on this new team representing Krakoa. And the realist in me recognizes that Remy still exists in Excalibur. And for all we know, he might be staying on that team largely FOR Rogue. She seems heavily invested in the safety and security of Miss Braddock, so maybe he recognizes that. Hopefully we get a glimpse of the why of all that as well.

I was listening to Cerebro the other day (great podcast btw, if anyone is looking. Very queer positive) and the host is Tini's agent, and he made mention of how much Tini loves Remy but I feel like many of we readers get the opposite impression because we want more for him. And I've come to the conclusion that despite having meaningful attachment to a plethora of characters, and even GETTING those characters for your book, we all know that some writers can find it challenging to balance large rosters. And we as X-Fans have been so blessed -- particularly recently -- to get so many lovely books brimming with faves and many of the authors are excelling with finding that balance. I'm very curious to see how Remy is handled in a Rogue-less book, and vice versa.

As always, in the age of Krakoa, I remain hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

I was listening to Cerebro the other day (great podcast btw, if anyone is looking. Very queer positive) and the host is Tini's agent, and he made mention of how much Tini loves Remy but I feel like many of we readers get the opposite impression because we want more for him. And I've come to the conclusion that despite having meaningful attachment to a plethora of characters, and even GETTING those characters for your book, we all know that some writers can find it challenging to balance large rosters. And we as X-Fans have been so blessed -- particularly recently -- to get so many lovely books brimming with faves and many of the authors are excelling with finding that balance. I'm very curious to see how Remy is handled in a Rogue-less book, and vice versa.

As always, in the age of Krakoa, I remain hopeful.
    Normally I would contend this. Usually by pointing to the inactive role Remy plays in Excalibur. 20 issues in and no excuses holds any water. What we have is what we have gotten.

Still who knows what parts of Remy she likes with Remy. Her version, as empty as I find it, might be a joy for her. Perhaps she doesn't want a thief. A charmer. Or a energy manipulator who creates explosions. As these elements are largely vacant from her use of Remy.

I mean this as criticism but also as a valid point. Whatever version she likes of Remy might have little in common with what we are looking for. Maybe she wants her thieves more about the image then the actual thefts. Perhaps she enjoys how he looks. His sex appeal. His devotion to Rogue.

I hold her as one of the worst Remy writers of all time. That said I can not tell her or anyone that she doesn't love Remy. Or writing him.

I am sure that Tini hates Gambit and is just trolling his fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I am sure that Tini hates Gambit and is just trolling his fans.
    Trolling is a bit too heavy. She just trying to get away with doing a poor job on Gambit.

I saw other interview where she says that she indentifies more with Rogue. We know that her Rogue barely did anything on the book.
    It's just talk, Tini has been doing a poor job writing a team book that really is a team book

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Trolling is a bit too heavy. She just trying to get away with doing a poor job on Gambit.

I saw other interview where she says that she indentifies more with Rogue. We know that her Rogue barely did anything on the book.
    It's just talk, Tini has been doing a poor job writing a team book that really is a team book
    The worst part is that even the main character Betsy isn't really well written and has had no development.For someone who likes Rogue and Gambit this book is bad but it isn't good for Psylocke fans either.I think rogue and gambit were kept so that they may pull in those readers.I don't think Tini will let gambit go

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    The worst part is that even the main character Betsy isn't really well written and has had no development.For someone who likes Rogue and Gambit this book is bad but it isn't good for Psylocke fans either.I think rogue and gambit were kept so that they may pull in those readers.I don't think Tini will let gambit go
    I agree completely with this. Even Betsy that receives more atention, the writer still does a really bad job with her. This is what I'm really impressed how much pages are deidicated to Betsy and there is brely any character development and how bad her charcterization was.

it is very clear Gambit and Rogue were on the book just for sales and to continue showing their marriage. Gambit will probably continue to not be awkward like Rogue is out of excalibur, so they will take him out of the book. I think the only chance for him to get out is if he has another book to be

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Normally I would contend this. Usually by pointing to the inactive role Remy plays in Excalibur. 20 issues in and no excuses holds any water. What we have is what we have gotten.

Still who knows what parts of Remy she likes with Remy. Her version, as empty as I find it, might be a joy for her. Perhaps she doesn't want a thief. A charmer. Or a energy manipulator who creates explosions. As these elements are largely vacant from her use of Remy.

I mean this as criticism but also as a valid point. Whatever version she likes of Remy might have little in common with what we are looking for. Maybe she wants her thieves more about the image then the actual thefts. Perhaps she enjoys how he looks. His sex appeal. His devotion to Rogue.

I hold her as one of the worst Remy writers of all time. That said I can not tell her or anyone that she doesn't love Remy. Or writing him.
    I think this is where I'm at too.

I 100% don't believe Tini is intentionally being malicious in writing Gambit and she probably likes him in her way. But her idea of the character is missing many of the essential aspects of what I love about him.

Her version is extremely watered down. He's there to look good, be supportive, and provide backup. He isn't important in the plot and he's not contributing anything you couldn't get from basically any other energy wielding character. He's missing charm and fun. His powers aren't cool or clever. He's lacking stealth, agility, and all this thieving skills. She barely utilizes his powerset beyond thrown cards. This isn't moving anything forward in his own narrative. He has no motivation for being here.

And as Malachi points out, this has been the case for 20 issues now. I'm basically out of good will and optimism toward Tini at this point and done with 2nd chances for her books. Excalibur has been a huge disappointment and I just want Gambit out of it. Period.

Tini's writing really just doesn't work for me in general. I have absolutely no interest in X-Corp either.

This makes it pretty difficult to enjoy Cerebrocast too since Conner obviously adores Tini and her work and often has her as a guest. And I just don't connect with them. I listened to several episodes and it's okay, but the characters they prioritize just don't interest me much. The Rogue episode was alright, but I worry about how they'd cover Gambit.

Astonishing Member

Pretty much. Logic and story wise it would easy and logical for both to live in new York (or krakoa) and ‘commute’ to work. No problem at all. The real problem is Howard doesn’t really care and Dugan actively (and gleefully) dislikes Gambit. And Dugan probably has ‘rank’ over Howard. So even if she wanted to keep Rogue around (even for no other reason than sales,) Dugan wouldn’t let her. And we already know he doesn’t want Gambit around. :/
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 05-11-2021 at 09:58 AM.

"Watered Down" is the best way to describe it. I was about to take issue with saying that Tini has been one of his worst writers, but she's made a super interesting character really boring and that's kind of unforgivable. Especially, as everyone has said, after 20 issues.

I think I'm just going to with some sort of head-canon that everyone on Krarkoa is either drugged or under Xavier's mind-control bc he along with other characters are just not acting like themselvse in this era
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    "Watered Down" is the best way to describe it. I was about to take issue with saying that Tini has been one of his worst writers, but she's made a super interesting character really boring and that's kind of unforgivable. Especially, as everyone has said, after 20 issues.

I think I'm just going to with some sort of head-canon that everyone on Krarkoa is either drugged or under Xavier's mind-control bc he along with other characters are just not acting like themselvse in this era
    Yes me holding her as one of the worst is based on principles I value. Some might hold other writers as worse due to damaging stories, lame appearences ect. In that respect Tini has done very little that has been horrible moments for Gambit. Nothing quite as jaw dropping bad as Milligans Blood Of Apocalypse turn. Yet writing Gambit so dull and boring. So inactive. Watered down as AppleJ says. That for me is a cardinal sin as Gambit shouldn't be any of these. Readers might dislike him or like him because he can be so much. I prefer him to go out in style if has to go out. Not just slowly fade away. That's not Gambit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Yes me holding her as one of the worst is based on principles I value. Some might hold other writers as worse due to damaging stories, lame appearences ect. In that respect Tini has done very little that has been horrible moments for Gambit. Nothing quite as jaw dropping bad as Milligans Blood Of Apocalypse turn. Yet writing Gambit so dull and boring. So inactive. Watered down as AppleJ says. That for me is a cardinal sin as Gambit shouldn't be any of these. Readers might dislike him or like him because he can be so much. I prefer him to go out in style if has to go out. Not just slowly fade away. That's not Gambit for me.
    I was going to say in my previous post: at least Milligan did something with him. Even if it wasn't good, he at least gave the character enough thought to do something with him in the story
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I was going to say in my previous post: at least Milligan did something with him. Even if it wasn't good, he at least gave the character enough thought to do something with him in the story
    Yes and that is one way to look at it. Honestly it has been a long time since i read that run. I just remember the bad stuff.