Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I know
    I was thinking more about the fact that Marvel sees Romy as a flagship couple again (so much so that they devote quite a few variant covers to them to make sure to keep the fans while the X-office doesn't want to do anything with them)
    LOL Good point!

It amazes me how seemingly surprised Marvel was that fans reacted so positively to that series and the marriage ... like dudes, have you ever bothered to pay any attention to what's been happening in fanfiction the last two decades?!

That being said, I definitely wouldn't spit on Dauterman's upcoming variant cover for Excalibur #18 if Rogue and Gambit are on it (fingers crossed)
    I love Dauterman's art, especially when he draws Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    That being said, I definitely wouldn't spit on Dauterman's upcoming variant cover for Excalibur #18 if Rogue and Gambit are on it (fingers crossed)
    I love Dauterman's art, especially when he draws Rogue
    Yeah curious to see what it will be. Dauterman draws a great Rogue and I'd like to see him take on Gambit. I actually really like Asrar's covers, but he hasn't really drawn Gambit and Rogue together in any of them. His Gambit is probably a little better than his Rogue, but Remy keeps getting buried in the backgrounds ... kind of reflecting his limited usage in the book. That Jubilee cover was pure fire, but even she got pretty short changed by the actual story content.

Spectacular Member

Happy new year everyone. Hope this year will treat Romy better

I've heard this suggested a few places now and I'm starting to feel it too. Plainly put, both Gambit and Rogue individually and as a couple are more popular with fans than any of the other characters in Excalibur including Betsy or Captain Britain.

While definitely OG Excalibur was very popular with a specific group of readers, it doesn't have the widespread popularity of Gambit or Rogue because of their massive exposure through XTAS, EVO, the Fox movieverse and years and years more of team and solo titles.

Simply put, you took two characters who by every right ought to be LEADS or at the very least central to the plot and made them weak supporting characters. You used them to sell your book while giving their readers almost nothing to enjoy and even some blatant dissapointments.

Is it any wonder we are unhappy?

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    I've heard this suggested a few places now and I'm starting to feel it too. Plainly put, both Gambit and Rogue individually and as a couple are more popular with fans than any of the other characters in Excalibur including Betsy or Captain Britain.

While definitely OG Excalibur was very popular with a specific group of readers, it doesn't have the widespread popularity of Gambit or Rogue because of their massive exposure through XTAS, EVO, the Fox movieverse and years and years more of team and solo titles.

Simply put, you took two characters who by every right ought to be LEADS or at the very least central to the plot and made them weak supporting characters. You used them to sell your book while giving their readers almost nothing to enjoy and even some blatant dissapointments.

Is it any wonder we are unhappy?
    Yes it feels like a bait and switch. I would have no problem with the book if it was advertised as a Betsy solo or Braddock family book. Sort of how Legacy was back in the day for Rogue.

But not as a team-book. Excalibur and Marauders both are hyper-focused on their lead characters to the detriment of everyone else. Excalibur in particular is very aware of the how popular Rogue and Gambit are, considering how much variant covers they pump out. Yet the actual title is only barely using them in the forefront for this arc. It's sad and yea, it's one of the reasons I'm abstaining from the title right now even if I've heard some praise for it this last issue.

Apart from that, it's also failed in it's premise of exploring mutant magic in any significant way. :/ Rogue and Gambit deserve better.

C&D was my gateway From The Shadows's Avatar

The (old) Hank McCoy thread. https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-Thread-2020

Interested in knowing more about Balder? https://community.cbr.com/showthread...on-Thread-2020

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Very nice!

Man, do I miss them fighting together and showcasing how in sync and creative they are like we saw in AoX, Gambit 2012, R&G, & MMX. Excalibur basically doesn't have fight sequences of any length - just a panel here or there of mid-battle poses which are always Gambit throwing cards and Rogue punching.

Excalibur has had..... a few charming moments but by and large, these two have been undersold for their big name value.

Broken record but, we need sexy banter and tee-ing each other up in battle and commenting on each other's action etc etc.

I did enjoy:
    - The Hot Tub talk
    - Remy cooking Breakfast
    - Rogue suggesting a heist, whilst in Otherworld

Amazing Member

The quiet council should assigned them to steal red root.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant101 View Post
    The quiet council should assigned them to steal red root.
    I would gladly take a one-shot or mini of them stealing ANYTHING with Gambit and Rogue at the healm and probably a different writer.

Percy talking about he plans to give each character in his book a spotlight ... what must that be like?

I would gladly take a one-shot or mini of them stealing ANYTHING with Gambit and Rogue at the healm and probably a different writer.

Percy talking about he plans to give each character in his book a spotlight ... what must that be like?
    Right? Even if X-Force is getting some lackluster reviews, it's nice to hear the author say this at least. We can't even get Tini to say anything positive about Gambit or Rogue, let alone let us know if she has any plans for them.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Right? Even if X-Force is getting some lackluster reviews, it's nice to hear the author say this at least. We can't even get Tini to say anything positive about Gambit or Rogue, let alone let us know if she has any plans for them.
    I have to say I agree with folks who have noted that literally every interview about Excalibur with Tini she only talks about Apocalypse, Betsy, Brian, and Rictor. Gambit, Rogue, and Jubilee never get any mentions. I don't think she ever really wanted to write these characters with any real intentions or inspiration. Frustrating af.

I have to say I agree with folks who have noted that literally every interview about Excalibur with Tini she only talks about Apocalypse, Betsy, Brian, and Rictor. Gambit, Rogue, and Jubilee never get any mentions. I don't think she ever really wanted to write these characters with any real intentions or inspiration. Frustrating af.
    Exactly. Definitely comes off as something that was editorially mandated to get us to buy the book
    Make Good Art

I don't want to be a negative one but nothing will be changed for Romy while Tini is their writer. 16 bad issues and XOS event where Gambit and Rogue were the only Excalibur characters that had not a single panel with words should be enough to show that Tini and X editors don't give a damn about them. Nothing. Won't be surprised if next issue will be a Betsy solo in alt universe without Gambit or Rogue.

The only way to get a chance for something new is to end Excalibur. So don't support and don't buy this book.
    Buying Excalibur = supporting bad writing of Gambit and Rogue.
    Sorry for negative stuff. Won't be speaking about that frustrating book anymore.

I hope you all are safe and 2021 will be a good and kind year for All you and your families