0 0%
  • Gib

1 1.72%
  • Destiny Gonzalez

2 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I had a feeling for a while that she was gonna do some time-travel shennanigans so that Gert could be with Chase. And I guess the younger Gert can be with Victor at the same time so everyone can get their cake and eat it lol.
    "Drama? How about...not ."

OP Question -

Molly Hayes, IMO
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I had a feeling for a while that she was gonna do some time-travel shennanigans so that Gert could be with Chase. And I guess the younger Gert can be with Victor at the same time so everyone can get their cake and eat it lol.
    Yeah, I could have seen that happening. Seems to not be the case, but I'm not sure how things will resolve. It's gonna be weird having three Gerts in California.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Bad news, Andres Genolet is the new Ms. Marvel artist, so it looks like he's done with Runaways.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Yeah, I could have seen that happening. Seems to not be the case, but I'm not sure how things will resolve. It's gonna be weird having three Gerts in California.
    Wait. There's a third Gert walking around out there? I skipped the whole Runaways-as-costumed-superheroes issues. Did the third pop up then or is there something I'm forgetting/missing?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Bad news, Andres Genolet is the new Ms. Marvel artist, so it looks like he's done with Runaways.
    This doesn't necessarily mean the book is ending, but yeah, at this point it wouldn't exactly surprise anyone if they finally decided to wrap up.

I tried going on Twitter to find out if Rainbow or Andres have said anything... but it looks like both of them deleted their Twitter accounts? Weird. Is there anyone else that keeps us updated on the book on social media?

Bummer if he's off the book, but I'm not betting on there being an issue #101.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Wait. There's a third Gert walking around out there? I skipped the whole Runaways-as-costumed-superheroes issues. Did the third pop up then or is there something I'm forgetting/missing?
    There's still the as of yet unexplained Gert from volume 3. Unless you count an interview Kathryn Immonen had years ago, but I certainly don't.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    This doesn't necessarily mean the book is ending, but yeah, at this point it wouldn't exactly surprise anyone if they finally decided to wrap up.

I tried going on Twitter to find out if Rainbow or Andres have said anything... but it looks like both of them deleted their Twitter accounts? Weird. Is there anyone else that keeps us updated on the book on social media?
    I didn't say it meant the book was ending - only that it was bad news for it. Either they need to find a new artist, or the book is finished. It doesn't confirm the latter.

The deleted Twitter accounts is a bit suspicious. What were the addresses? Maybe Wayback Machine can yield an explanation.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Genolet was never particularly active on twitter, and Rowell has been stepping back significantly and suspending her account for months at a time. Probably due to the backlash from some of her novels.

Genolet was never particularly active on twitter, and Rowell has been stepping back significantly and suspending her account for months at a time. Probably due to the backlash from some of her novels.
    Wow. What kind of backlash?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Wow. What kind of backlash?
    Her novel "Eleanor & Park" from 2012 is considered to be racist by some people. There's a film adaptation in the works, and whenever there's news about it there comes a wave of backlash. Haven't read the book myself, but most of the critique seems to come from the fact that the Eleanor character has some antiquated at best views towards the Korean Park. Not to mention the fact that the titular Park's last name is Kim which people found to be ignorant.

I don't have a horse in the race, but there are a lot of folk on the internet who seem to.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 06-18-2021 at 06:32 AM.

Her novel "Eleanor & Park" from 2012 is considered to be racist by some people. There's a film adaptation in the works, and whenever there's news about it there comes a wave of backlash. Haven't read the book myself, but most of the critique seems to come from the fact that the Eleanor character has some antiquated at best views towards the Korean Park. Not to mention the fact that the titular Park's last name is Kim which people found to be ignorant.

I don't have a horse in the race, but there are a lot of folk on the internet who seem to.
    I think the name issue is about the fact that "Park" is a surname, not a given name. She posted an explanation but imo it's obvious that she didn't know enough and then made-up an excuse... Not that I think that this is reason enough to "cancel" her or consider her racist though.

So they're offended because Kim shares his name with North Korea's despot ruler?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I just found it weird because her other social medias like Tumblr and Instagram are still there, but I guess it's possible the backlash was bigger on Twitter, which wouldn't surprise me. It just sucks 'cause I think Twitter was basically the only place where she would talk about Runaways, but I guess she was talking about the book way less as of late anyway. I just wanted a confirmation about the book's status, but I think the solicitations are basically gonna do that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So they're offended because Kim shares his name with North Korea's despot ruler?
    It's not that. The name thing is pretty much what Wiccan said above, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. A lot of people have issues with her writing overall, and feel like the book fetishizes/objectifies asian people. People have been hating on it for a while, and Rainbow mostly ignores the backlash (and apparently blocks some people who bring it up), which in turn just make things worse.

I only know her from her work on Runaways, so this whole thing is weird to me because I don't think her writing of Nico comes off as problematic at all. I guess it's possible she's evolved as a writer, but then there's fact that she decided to greenlight a film adaptation of that one book, which doesn't help since it means she still wants to profit from it and that will rub people the wrong way.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 06-19-2021 at 04:57 AM.

Astonishing Member

Bummer if he's off the book, but I'm not betting on there being an issue #101.

There's still the as of yet unexplained Gert from volume 3. Unless you count an interview Kathryn Immonen had years ago, but I certainly don't.
    Oh, right! I totally forgot about that. That's when Chase got hit by a truck or something and they more or less just hand waved that off in his next appearance, right?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.