0 0%
  • Gib

1 1.72%
  • Destiny Gonzalez

2 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

My print copy does not have the issue that scouse mouse had. Everything appears to be in order.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I liked this series, but as I mentioned before, I think it was lacking one thing: edge.

The tone was very wholesome, reinforced by the art style.

That's fine, and I enjoyed it; but I can see how others were underwhelmed and my thing is, we should always be worried that these kids may become villains. Their origin story is MESSED UP and DARK, and this series was much more cheery and bright. Except for maybe Victor towards the beginning of the series, I never felt like any of the characters might take the wrong path, choose the REALLY wrong choice, and become a worse version of themselves. Chalk that up to character growth, I suppose? Even still, things tended to feel a little soft. Perhaps nothing functions as an example of that as much as Gib does: here we have a soul-eating god-monster who becomes a friendly football player and buddies around with the cat. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but the character still could've had a bit of edge to him nevertheless.

Curious what others think about this particular critique of the series.

-Pav, who still feels very appreciate of the run...
    Last edited by Pav; 07-08-2021 at 11:33 AM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I liked this series, but as I mentioned before, I think it was lacking one thing: edge.

That's fine, and I enjoyed it; but I can see how others were underwhelmed and my thing is, we should always be worried that these kids may become villains. Their origin story is MESSED UP and DARK, and this series was much more cheery and bright. Except for maybe Victor towards the beginning of the series, I never felt like any of the characters might take the wrong path, choose the REALLY wrong choice, and become a worse version of themselves. Chalk that up to character growth, I suppose? Even still, things tended to feel a little soft. Perhaps nothing functions as an example of that as much as Gib does: here we have a soul-eating god-monster who becomes a friendly football player and buddies around with the cat. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but the character still could've had a bit of edge to him nevertheless.

The only thing the Runaways have been running away from in this series is actually doing anything interesting.

I don't really think the idea of them becoming villains/ the temptation to become villains is all that compelling, but I agree about needing a bit of edge to be interesting. The first issue literally ends with the ritualistic murder of a teenage prostitute, and the entire mole angle of the first series only worked because it could have conceivably been any of the kids. It ultimately came down to the fact that it was Alex's house, but any one of the others aside from Nico was given characterization to suggest that they would be loyal to their family, and later be okay with the Gibborim plot.

I'm fine with it being "soft" to an extent, but give them some agency and don't smooth the edges for an inflated sense of nostalgia. Like I get wanting to remove the self-harm angle from the Staff of One, and I suppose the new deal is indicative of Nico's history of poor impulsive decisions. But the original contextualization of it being self harm was always faulty, and more close to medical blood work. Re-contextualize it as something unpleasant that one has to do in order to save one's life. Diabetics bleed more than Nico. Likewise I get wanting Chase to be a nice guy who learned from his mistakes, but if that's what she wanted then Chase should never had gone back in time to save Gert. He very explicitly did not learn his lesson from the first time he tried to resurrect her.

It's baffling.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I will be honest and say I was reading this for Doombot. I remembered him and Victor from Avengers A.I. I wish we had found out where Doombot hangs out when he left for a while.

They missed a joke - the recap should've used the words "Nuff Said" - the name of an event in which a bunch of comics without any speech were released in a short time frame, roughly 20 years ago.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I think I preferred the Doombot from the Runaways Battleworlds mini series.

omg omg omg omg I hope I hope I hope I hope spoilers:
    this is the return of Xavin. I miss them so much.
    end of spoilers

It'd be a nice feather in a mediocre hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

This & the lack of Alex made me finally stop really reading it. The arc where they meet/team up with Vic hero notBatman was last one I really enjoyed.

Alex showed up this issue too. spoilers:
    Wanting to join the J-Team.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Alex showed up this issue too. spoilers:
    Wanting to join the J-Team.
    end of spoilers
    Thanks for info…

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only thing the Runaways have been running away from in this series is actually doing anything interesting.
    Yeah, I love these characters, but dayum, could something *happen* already? It's been a bizarre sort of holding pattern, waiting for something to occur. I've heard of slow-boil, but I've about starved to death, and it's still not even simmering.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I wish I was more happy about the prospect of Xavin returning, but at this point I can't help but feel like it's too little too late. 38 issues and Rowell decides to possibly do it on what could be the series finale? Considering the tendency that Runaways have of being in limbo for years after they finish their runs, I'm not too excited about getting Xavin in one issue and then having to wait years until we see them again. I guess it's better than nothing, but still, I just with it had been a bigger priority when she knew the book had several issues to spare.

I'm not even confident that Xavin will even show up. The possibility is there, but whose to say the Majesdanians would bring their prisoner with them or if Xavin hadn't escaped. I think it's more likely that the final issue will make one last hail Mary to get readers on board, and interested again. Runaways in space. Can't say Rowell would be ideal to do it, but at least it'd be better than hanging out in a cave, and waiting for something to kill them.