Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 414
  1. #91
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, I mean. Mera's a lot more memorable than Lois is, so it isn't a wonder !
    They are both courageous and feisty women who fought against the expectations of their fathers to become something better, which led them to the men they love .

  2. #92
    Astonishing Member Korath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Toulouse, France
    Posts
    4,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They are both courageous and feisty women who fought against the expectations of their fathers to become something better, which led them to the men they love .
    But only one of them lost their home and family because of it. And in spite of everything, Sam Lane always clearly loved his daughter. I also kind of scoff at the idea of Lois fighting against her father's expectations. The man's a five-star General and a Senator and clearly a member of a well-known and respected military family in the US, as far as I can tell. He may not have liked her becoming a journalist, but being Sam's daughter opened a lot more possibilities than if she hadn't been.

    Meanwhile, Mera's origins have often been a problem for her, and used to denigrate her deeply in Atlantis and elsewhere.

  3. #93
    Incredible Member MarFarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    But only one of them lost their home and family because of it. And in spite of everything, Sam Lane always clearly loved his daughter. I also kind of scoff at the idea of Lois fighting against her father's expectations. The man's a five-star General and a Senator and clearly a member of a well-known and respected military family in the US, as far as I can tell. He may not have liked her becoming a journalist, but being Sam's daughter opened a lot more possibilities than if she hadn't been.

    Meanwhile, Mera's origins have often been a problem for her, and used to denigrate her deeply in Atlantis and elsewhere.
    Agreed, Mera sacrificed a lot by turning her back not just on her family and but also her nation, she ended living in the place she had always hated and that feeling was reciprocated by Atlanteans. On surface is not that better either. She sacrificed a lot for him.

    Lois might have issues with her family but still in her country she lives.
    Last edited by MarFarr; 01-24-2021 at 01:33 PM.

  4. #94
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    But only one of them lost their home and family because of it. And in spite of everything, Sam Lane always clearly loved his daughter. I also kind of scoff at the idea of Lois fighting against her father's expectations. The man's a five-star General and a Senator and clearly a member of a well-known and respected military family in the US, as far as I can tell. He may not have liked her becoming a journalist, but being Sam's daughter opened a lot more possibilities than if she hadn't been.

    Meanwhile, Mera's origins have often been a problem for her, and used to denigrate her deeply in Atlantis and elsewhere.
    Well, when you look at the state of the Lane family in certain continuities, it's not much better. Sam loves his daughter but he doesn't show it well (and even worse with Lucy). Sam wanted a boy and got two girls, the girls have been fighting their fathers expectations since they were born.

    I don't think Sam's position helped at all with her becoming a reporter. People could see it as an "in" for government exclusives, but that's never quite been the dynamic between Lois and her father, and she'd probably want to expose the seedier aspects of the military that Sam wants under wraps.

    Obviously their exact circumstances are different because Lois is a normal woman living in America while Mera was born a princess to an undersea kingdom with the power to control waters, but there are similarities.

  5. #95
    Incredible Member MarFarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

    Obviously their exact circumstances are different because Lois is a normal woman living in America while Mera was born a princess to an undersea kingdom with the power to control waters, but there are similarities.
    my friend Mera Leaves more than her family, she leaves her entire world, to live at the hated enemy city, she is an outcast, all alone, except for Arthur.

  6. #96
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    my friend Mera Leaves more than her family, she leaves her entire world, to live at the hated enemy city, she is an outcast, all alone, except for Arthur.
    I don’t think of it as a competition. They’re both strong, capable, and determined women.

  7. #97
    Extraordinary Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, I mean. Mera's a lot more memorable than Lois is, so it isn't a wonder !
    Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Agreed, Mera sacrificed a lot by turning her back not just on her family and but also her nation, she ended living in the place she had always hated and that feeling was reciprocated by Atlanteans. On surface is not that better either. She sacrificed a lot for him.

    Lois might have issues with her family but still in her country she lives.


    We don't allow slander in these here parts. Saddle on up.



    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don’t think of it as a competition. They’re both strong, capable, and determined women.
    Finally. Some sense. I'll buy you a round in the saloon once I'm through dispensing JUSTICE.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-24-2021 at 06:46 PM.

  8. #98
    Incredible Member MarFarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don’t think of it as a competition. They’re both strong, capable, and determined women.
    Totally agreed
    of course its not about competition, just circumstances are different that's what I meant.

  9. #99
    Extraordinary Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Totally agreed
    of course its not about competition, just circumstances are different that's what I meant.
    No backing out of this quick draw now, varmint.

  10. #100
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    4,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Finally. Some sense. I'll buy you a round in the saloon once I'm through dispensing JUSTICE.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  11. #101
    Extraordinary Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjneal View Post
    TAKE IT BACK! You take that picture down right now! That book didn't happen!

  12. #102
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA USA
    Posts
    4,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    TAKE IT BACK! You take that picture down right now! That book didn't happen!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009
    7,869

    The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

  13. #103
    Extraordinary Member Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    ... What have I done...







    I'm hoping Arthur gets a good showing in Snyder's Justice League. I want to turn around on the Snyder take on DC so bad. I don't want to dislike it as much as I do.

  14. #104
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    That word and this image...I can't even .

  15. #105
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your mum's place
    Posts
    2,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That word and this image...I can't even .
    I still have trouble believing this to the same bloke who wrote Starman. Complete. Polar. Opposites.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •