Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Which they burned in the first movie. :/

I loved listening to KSD talk about how much editors tried to make her write some bullshit and she just resisted it. I miss her on that book.
    I didn't love her run, but she did a solid job...most of the time :P.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's not my absolute favorite but I enjoyed it a lot, thanks in no small part to the murderer's row of artists she had killing it on that book every month.

i'm not gonna lie, her's is the Aquaman run I resonated with the most. it's more than probably my favorite run with the character. It was a notable departure from the direction Aquaman was on but I like how personal and intimate it consistently felt. the writing and the art maintained a sweet and expressive magical realist vibe, which is my personal jam. it also gave me my favorite take on Jackson since ever (always wanted to like him more on panel) which gives it some bonus points.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-12-2021 at 11:34 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

It's not that I didn't enjoy the run. DeConnick is a good, competent, writer and that showed in her stories. She didn't write the main characters too egregiously (although there were a few "what the...?" moments), she incorporated Jackson well, and the action was solid. It's not my ideal take on the property but I think it worked for what it was.

It did hit a lot of my Aquaman pet peeves and I will forever resent it for bringing back shirtless Aquaman and making that and those tattoos the default look for Arthur now. Like, I could maybe accept the beard, but all of that together? Nope .
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's not my absolute favorite but I enjoyed it a lot, thanks in no small part to the murderer's row of artists she had killing it on that book every month.
    To be honest though hasn't the book had stellar art since the New 52? I don't think the art was even bad during the Bunn run.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It's not that I didn't enjoy the run. DeConnick is a good, competent, writer and that showed in her stories. She didn't write the main characters too egregiously (although there were a few "what the...?" moments), she incorporated Jackson well, and the action was solid. It's not my ideal take on the property but I think it worked for what it was.

It did hit a lot of my Aquaman pet peeves and I will forever resent it for bringing back shirtless Aquaman and making that and those tattoos the default look for Arthur now. Like, I could maybe accept the beard, but all of that together? Nope .

To be honest though hasn't the book had stellar art since the New 52? I don't think the art was even bad during the Bunn run.
    Arthur's had consistently good talent working on his book since New 52. Even Bunn, while I hated his run, was not right for that book.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Yes.

DC CONNECT TO DEBUT IN PRINT FOR TITLES ON SALE IN SEPTEMBER
    The debut issue spotlights some of DC’s hottest titles and events arriving in September, including:
    • Batman: Fear State, including I Am Batman #1, by John Ridley and Olivier Coipel
    • Deathstroke, Inc., written by Joshua Williamson (Infinite Frontier, The Flash) with art by Howard Porter
    • Aquaman: The Becoming, a six-issue monthly limited series from Future State: Aquaman writer Brandon Thomas, with art by Diego Olortegui and Wade Von Grawbadger
    • A Black Manta six-issue monthly limited series from Bitter Root writer Chuck Brown and artist Valentine De Landro
    • Milestone Compendium One, a softcover collection with more than 1,300 pages of classic Milestone stories, collecting the debut story arcs of Blood Syndicate, Hardware, Static, Icon, Xombi and Shadow Cabinet from the original Milestone creative team
    • Are You Afraid of Darkseid?, a prestige format anthology of scary stories from across the DC Universe, just in time for Halloween (on sale October 5)
    • Special Batman Day versions of:
      • Batman: The World
      • Batman/Fortnite: Zero Point #1
      • Batman – Knightwatch/Bat-Tech Special Edition #1

Last edited by Hypo; 06-18-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Aquaman's Archenemy can get a series but they won't give Arthur a book ?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Looks like I was right about that second mystery mini *not* being about Arthur... :-/

Probably still gonna buy it though if the Manta story in the 80th Anniversary Special is any good.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

For me it confirms Arthur will get an ongoing just in time for his movies. Manta's the big bad of the next movie probably and Jackson's probably gonna get introduced in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Looks like I was right about that second mystery mini *not* being about Arthur... :-/

Probably still gonna buy it though if the Manta story in the 80th Anniversary Special is any good.
    They're giving his protege a comic with his name on it and his Archenemy a comic...but not him?

And he's still walking around looking like a beach bum.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    For me it confirms Arthur will get an ongoing just in time for his movies. Manta's the big bad of the next movie probably and Jackson's probably gonna get introduced in it.
    This makes sense...

They're giving his protege a comic with his name on it and his Archenemy a comic...but not him?

And he's still walking around looking like a beach bum.
    Correct on all counts! For better or worse...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member

I'm okay with Arthur not having a series to himself yet.

He deserves to have his domestic bliss with his hot wife and adorable daughter. Let him have a break before he is inevitably pull back into the superhero world of high-stake dramas, and putting his family into danger.

On that note, will the new Aquaman ongoing star Arthur or Jackson? It would make the most sense for it to be Arthur since we've been waiting this long, but then what would be the point to building up Jackson as the next Aquaman?

It's possible they're moving him into a new role. With Jon, Damian/Jace, Yara being elevated and their predecessors getting their status quos overhauled a bit I wouldn't be shocked for Arthur to get the same. Jackson becoming Aquaman gives Arthur some time to spend with Mera/Andy, and then maybe get more involved in whatever the new politics of the kingdoms are. There's also that plot happening over in Action Comics with the Atlanteans taking that crystal for themselves.

I think at this point it's just a matter of who's gonna write it?

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    I'm okay with Arthur not having a series to himself yet.

He deserves to have his domestic bliss with his hot wife and adorable daughter. Let him have a break before he is inevitably pull back into the superhero world of high-stake dramas, and putting his family into danger.
    I'm fine with Arthur having some happy times with his family, I just don't want him to never have a book again or get phased out. I also don't want the KSD run to be the last Arthur Curry Aquaman run.
    On that note, will the new Aquaman ongoing star Arthur or Jackson? It would make the most sense for it to be Arthur since we've been waiting this long, but then what would be the point to building up Jackson as the next Aquaman?
    One of the covers for the mini has beach bum Arthur on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    It's possible they're moving him into a new role. With Jon, Damian/Jace, Yara being elevated and their predecessors getting their status quos overhauled a bit I wouldn't be shocked for Arthur to get the same. Jackson becoming Aquaman gives Arthur some time to spend with Mera/Andy, and then maybe get more involved in whatever the new politics of the kingdoms are. There's also that plot happening over in Action Comics with the Atlanteans taking that crystal for themselves.

I think at this point it's just a matter of who's gonna write it?
    They should've just made him king again, then, but we're probably not going down that well again anytime soon.

Could he finally get a job that makes him wear the chainmail again? Or shaves? Probably a pipe dream.