Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    On xebelian side - Nereus who is not Royalty by birth does not show any water bending powers - He gets leveled by Tula without making any opposition whatsoever
    It's been some time since I read anything with him in it, but I thought Nereus did have some water-bending abilities, no? Which Xebellians besides Mera and her sister have the ability? I would like to have more of Xebel's history and culture explored. I want to know more about who they were prior to becoming a penal colony.

I also want Atlantis to have more interactions with other DC countries like Khandaq, Markovia, Themyscira, Gorilla City, etc. Is it still canon that the Atlanteans are the reason for the increased intelligence among the gorillas of Gorilla City?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

Attachment 106696

superman did not take notice of Mera, this pic says differently
    What history has Orm mollywhop Mera? she can stand to superman she can't stand to Orm? She alone defeats the Justice League and can't stand up to Orm?
    She throws an entire ocean at the crown of thrones, saved Arthur over and over again, even when pregnant.
    she defeats Orm in combat although she was in a weakened state.
    He was so afraid of her that when the last fight took place, he had to imprison her through Lernea.

Despite some positive showings in New52. He is in all truth treacherous weakling, jealous of his brother, was ready to put in peril baby Andy. Who always ends getting kicked in the butt.
    Its Ok that you might Like him, put making him something he ain't is different all together.
    He held her arms together? Um ok my point still stands I guess. Superman has actually swung against Orm and Aquaman

You’re misinterpreting what I said... I said if you look at both of their feats throughout history Ocean Master should mollywhop Mera. Honestly her win scenario is dehydration and that’s about it. Orm has had the ability to ignite people on fire, BFR them, create illusions. Cast spells with astral projections as well as one shot characters like Superman and Wonder Woman whose durability is above both his and Mera’s. I agree Mera is stronger in terms of hydrokinesis but in Throne of Atlantis it honestly wasn’t by much and Orm has so much going for him outside hydrokinesis. Orm didn’t become so weak until Abnett and KSD. Which is honestly stuff you have to reference to even make this a discussion... I’d question either writer really looking back on the lore of Aquaman and if they did I don’t know how they came to write the stuff they did in each of their runs...

Johns Version of Ocean Master wasn’t a treacherous weakling. He didn’t become that until Abnett and it was furthered by KSD.

1.) Ocean Master was manipulated into war with the surface world. He wasn’t jealous of Aquaman it was stated that when he first reunited with his brother he offered and I believe did step down from the thrown because Aquaman being his senior was the rightful heir to it.

2.) He said he was concerned when he found out he had a brother who was on the surface he was worried because he didn’t know what horrors Arthur was facing while he was up their and wanted to make a mission of going to retrieve his brother.

3.) When Aquaman tells Ocean Master that Superman is the most powerful being on the planet. Orm doesn’t back down instead he challenges that.

Hell stuff like villains month and forever evil tie-ins helped strengthen his characteristics. He had the opportunity to go back to Atlantis right away when he got out of Belle Reve but chose not to. Orm by Johns was a character of Honor and sacrificing what he wanted for what he believed needed to be done. He wasn’t a coward he yielded the throne due to being beat not due to being scared of Aquaman. Rebirth Ocean Master at this point reads as a whole entirely different character and it’s tragic cause he had a real intriguing background and could of gotten a better character arc than the one he ended up with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    It's been some time since I read anything with him in it, but I thought Nereus did have some water-bending abilities, no? Which Xebellians besides Mera and her sister have the ability? I would like to have more of Xebel's history and culture explored. I want to know more about who they were prior to becoming a penal colony.

I also want Atlantis to have more interactions with other DC countries like Khandaq, Markovia, Themyscira, Gorilla City, etc. Is it still canon that the Atlanteans are the reason for the increased intelligence among the gorillas of Gorilla City?
    I’m pretty sure Nereus has hydrokinesis too. I think it was shown in the Death of a King arc. Then there’s also Kaldur who isn’t royalty but half xebellian. And I’m pretty sure in Brightest Day the xebellians were using water bearers which should imply they all have a limited form of hydrokinesis it might be something due to existing in the dimension their from that gives them those abilities but that’s just a theory.

I really liked the way Johns reimagined Ocean Master. I feel like he made him in some ways into a more sympathetic character. I also liked that he was actually Atlantean, and not some guy from the surface world like he was pre-DCnU 52.
    Last edited by nj06; 03-01-2021 at 10:29 AM.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

definitely agree I feel like a lot of people have missed the ball when it comes to writing Orm ever since Johns and some some single issues with Orm. Honestly fanfic and images have done better keeping the sympathetic appeal.

Orm was more of a villain based off what he felt needed to be done. Now he seems more self serving and doing stuff for his own best interest and being power hungry. The animated and cinematic movie missed the ball on him too. But atleast with those two things it gives the possibility of a redemption arc. In the comics now I feel like the damage is done

Movie Orm was interesting as I feel like he was a blended version of his pre- and post-DCnU 52 versions. Like his DCnU-52 counterpart he was fully Atlantean, embraced his warrior/military heritage, and I think he truly loved Atlantis and its people. However the love stopped there as he was still very power-hungry and manipulative and cared very little for the surface world. I definitely expect him to appear again in the upcoming Aquaman sequel.

BANNED

B9443282-1711-4857-A9F5-893574A1EEFF.jpg

“When I found out I had a brother on the surface”

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    B9443282-1711-4857-A9F5-893574A1EEFF.jpg

“When I found out I had a brother on the surface”
    Post DCnU reboot I feel like Johns still wrote Aquaman and his related characters the best. And that Ivan Reis artwork is just the icing on the cake! Arthur and Orm were drawn perfectly.

BANNED

Yeah Johns hands down has been my favorite Aquaman writer honestly of any era honestly. Saying that as a fan of PAD’s run with it’s only fall back for me being how much PAD changed drastically to the Aquaman mythos.

I think if Orlando got a shot at Aquaman he’d have the potential of overtaking Johns run atleast to me. I think the Deep Dives issues showed a understanding of the character and the mythos at the same time not being afraid to add something new.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior
    Since the Atlantean royal family has powers exclusive to their line, I would imagine there's been a lot of in-breeding to keep those powers over generations--like the Targaryens and their blood-magic/telepathic abilities.
    Sorry to go off-topic for a moment but I do wish more fictional works would acknowledge what generations of in-breeding actually causes, namely medical conditions and congenital disorders. I recently started reading "Wolverine: The Best There Is" and while the inbred villain Contagion has super-powers he also has severe haemophilia, to the point he'd bleed to death from a papercut. That kind of thing.

However Being highborn gives them some special abilities normal Atlanteans don't have, like breathing on surface.
    Dolphin isn't highborn and she can breath air just fine.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 03-03-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: adding stuff

Can Aquaman please put a shirt on?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can Aquaman please put a shirt on?
    Yeah...and tell him to stop smoldering all the time as well.

i dont know if this has been mentioned but is it just a freaking tragedy that an Aquaman title has not been mentioned at all in the latest dc/connect for May?!

did KSD do irreparable damage to the title?
    Marvel and DC comics are no different than the food at McDonalds. It will fill you up but in the end bad for your health. Read more independent publishers. Get away from the corporate homogenous cookie cutter fast food comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ospfwildcard View Post
    i dont know if this has been mentioned but is it just a freaking tragedy that an Aquaman title has not been mentioned at all in the latest dc/connect for May?!

did KSD do irreparable damage to the title?
    I’ve been pretty bipolar about her run. Giving it a chance and defending it pretty early on to absolutely ranting on it later but I definitely don’t think it was a bad run in terms of writing. Though I didn’t like a lot of elements I don’t also think it’s irreparable. Outside the whole turning Atlantis into a democracy which Bendis seems to be following. I have a lot more complaints and some praise but I’ve done a lot of that in regards to the run. So I’ll leave it at that and just say if they were to get another writer on the series I’d hope it would be Steve Orlando who did phenomenal work on the Deep Dives series.

BANNED

I don’t know if anyone knows who Trippie Red is or if anyone here listens to rap. It has cursing in the song but I thought it was a interesting name drop.

https://youtu.be/O8HlUn4PCzw