Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

I remember saying the same thing when the book was first announced. 'Hey guys, here is Aquaman and a bunch of nobodies!'. If they had called it Aquaman & The Nobodies it would have had the same effect. If you are selling a team book at least make it seem like, your team characters are worth something. A marine hero like Aquaman should lend himself to all kinds of cool esoteric team names. 'Aquaman and the Others' just sounds like Jurgens used a placeholder but somebody at DC took it for the real name and just ran with it.

'Aquaman and the Mariners'. 'Aquaman & the Trench Squad'. 'Aqua Squadron'. 'Aqua Force'. Ok, I admit, they sound like mouth wash brand but better than 'the others'.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I remember saying the same thing when the book was first announced. 'Hey guys, here is Aquaman and a bunch of nobodies!'. If they had called it Aquaman & The Nobodies it would have had the same effect. If you are selling a team book at least make it seem like, your team characters are worth something. A marine hero like Aquaman should lend himself to all kinds of cool esoteric team names. 'Aquaman and the Others' just sounds like Jurgens used a placeholder but somebody at DC took it for the real name and just ran with it.

'Aquaman and the Mariners'. 'Aquaman & the Trench Squad'. 'Aqua Squadron'. 'Aqua Force'. Ok, I admit, they sound like mouth wash brand but better than 'the others'.
    AQUAMAN AND THE SEA DEVILS would be my go-to. They're a lot like the amazing real world Sea Shepherds and would be a great occasional back up feature in an Aquaman title OR as Aquaman's legit back up squad. There was a (fairly) recent issue of Deep Dives that had Arthur grant them amnesty and hire them to work for Atlantis in protecting sea life.

I can vibe with it.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-04-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Joshua Williamson speaks about Aquaman comic and why it does not have an ongoing. Seems he was offered the book and did not feel it was the right time even because of his plate being full. He hints that they have put the book on a break because they want to do right with it, and I assume that's probably because they need to balance creativity and financial return. He also relates that some writers(Bendis?) are interested and want to write Aquaman.

Its all about finding the right person who can write a book that brings back fans and keep them on board therefore also making it deliver in sales.
    https://comicconspiracypodcast.com/2...y-episode-486/
    Part about Aquaman is at 41mins

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Joshua Williamson speaks about Aquaman comic and why it does not have an ongoing. Seems he was offered the book and did not feel it was the right time even because of his plate being full. He hints that they have put the book on a break because they want to do right with it, and I assume that's probably because they need to balance creativity and financial return. He also relates that some writers(Bendis?) are interested and want to write Aquaman.

Its all about finding the right person who can write a book that brings back fans and keep them on board therefore also making it deliver in sales.
    https://comicconspiracypodcast.com/2...y-episode-486/
    Part about Aquaman is at 41mins
    I wouldn't want Bendis on Aquaman, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Neither I, but Aquaverse are suggesting that he might be, mind it they are not confirming that he will be, but pushing for him and being KSD's pal he will be the right person to continue on what she left.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

The Others was an attempt to capitalize on the name of the arc written by Johns in his run in New52 Aquaman.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 02-04-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

He's not the guy for it in my mind either.

I'd rather have no title than a weak one. Hopefully we get one soon, but I'd be in no rush to just throw this to a Tom Taylor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'd rather have no title than a weak one. Hopefully we get one soon, but I'd be in no rush to just throw this to a Tom Taylor.
    To be fair, Tom Taylor would be considered a popular writer in general (even although his Suicide Squad run doesn't have good sales).

DC will likely look for a popular writer, but not all people will like the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    To be fair, Tom Taylor would be considered a popular writer in general (even although his Suicide Squad run doesn't have good sales).

DC will likely look for a popular writer, but not all people will like the choice.
    Williamson said that there are writers willing to take over Aquaman, but he hints that they want someone who is passionate and understands the character. I believe this approach is what is needed. Useless having a popular writer who doesn't have the feel for the characters in Aquaman, it will sink. They are after someone who pitches to them the right story that can get sales as well.

Incredible Member

Just being a popular writer doesn't necessarily mean they can write every character well.

Quote Originally Posted by MacFarr
    Williamson said that there are writers willing to take over Aquaman, but he hints that they want someone who is passionate and understands the character. I believe this approach is what is needed. Useless having a popular writer who doesn't have the feel for the characters in Aquaman, it will sink. They are after someone who pitches to them the right story that can get sales as well.
    Exactly. Let's hope it works out.

No thanks, popular doesn't equate quality. I'd rather wait for someone with a legit story to tell. Maybe someone from outside superhero fiction. Not interested in *insert popular superhero comics writer here* on AQUAMAN.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-04-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    No thanks, popular doesn't equate quality. I'd rather wait for someone with a legit story to tell. Maybe someone from outside superhero fiction. Not interested in *insert popular superhero comics writer here* on AQUAMAN.
    An indie voice would help Arthur a bit. The editors are there to make sure it's true to the character.

BANNED

I’m probably in the minority but I’d be curious to see what Bendis would do with Aquaman. He’s honestly in a way added to his lore without being on the title with the whole Aquaman’s trident thing in LOSH

I also definitely wouldn’t mind having a big name on the character either. I feel like outside Johns and PAD. Aquaman’s never really had a front of the industry writer on him like his compatriots on the League.

I mean, I don't need a name or indie writer so much as someone who can write the characters and the mythos well.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I’m probably in the minority but I’d be curious to see what Bendis would do with Aquaman. He’s honestly in a way added to his lore without being on the title with the whole Aquaman’s trident thing in LOSH

I also definitely wouldn’t mind having a big name on the character either. I feel like outside Johns and PAD. Aquaman’s never really had a front of the industry writer on him like his compatriots on the League.
    Williamson in the interview I linked further above, says they are looking for the right writer which can come up with a story that works. Aquaman is not an easy book to write, requires a lot of balancing to be done. Johns redefined him in 2011 and provided a successful formula, that was to push Mera as the co-lead. When this is not kept the book starts to sink in sales.
    Bendis could be the ideal to continue on what KSD left, but he can also be the one to make him a joke again, that means throwing away all the work that since Blackest Night and Brightest Day has been done on the characters.

As Williamson rightfully said in that interview, many are interested but what's needed is a writer that is passionate about Aquaman and that understands what works in it. Just having a book for the sake of it won't do any good and I agree.

Unfortunately in the past Aquaman was sought by many writers and some actually took the book, instead of keeping to the core of the characters they attempted to leave their mark throwing away what the character had always been, Busiek comes to my mind, With disastrous results as we all saw.
    Didio once related that he was approached by many writers and they all said they had a solution for Aquaman. According to Dan all terrible ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The editors are there to make sure it's true to the character.
    Depends if Editors get carried away by what is proposed to them. Sometimes I am surprised how they permit certain takes, and when you read their tweets all so enthusiastic about those particular takes, I get doubts about their abilities. When its obvious that those takes will not work and they turn out so.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 02-05-2021 at 06:33 AM.