Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

The excerpts you highlight were headscratchers for those who were familiar with Aquaman. At no point was he undervalued in-continuity. I always wondered why Geoff was writing as though those weird Super Friends people were his audience. In a lot of ways, Geoff seemed to want Aquaman to be Namor or someone else rather than Aquaman. I find the same or similar problems with the 52 approach to Captain Marvel, Wondee Woman, and Aquaman. Namely the creatives tried to male them into other characters while lessening or ridding them entirely of what made them awesome to begin with.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 06-08-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    The excerpts you highlight were headscratchers for those who were familiar with Aquaman. At no point was he undervalued in-continuity. I always wondered why Geoff was writing as though those weird Super Friends people were his audience. In a lot of ways, Geoff seemed to want Aquaman to be Namor or someone else rather than Aquaman. I find the same or similar problems with the 52 approach to Captain Marvel, Wondee Woman, and Aquaman. Namely the creatives tried to male them into other characters while lessening or ridding them entirely of what made them awesome to begin with.
    The only Namor-esque aspect of New 52 Aquaman was the throne drama. Characterization-wise Arthur was as far from Namor as possible.

You skipped an important part of what Johns said, that people at DC told him he was wasting his time. If Aquaman was so Awesome before New52 why he was a problem? Why the character was basically finished? Why DC had given up?
    Just because a handful of people who read comics(a very small percentage of comic readers) knew he was not the superfriends character?

You are one of the very few that I read that says that since N52 Aquaman was rid of what made him Awesome, Seriously? In N52 Aquaman managed to sell as never before, at one point he even outsold all marvel books and even some the most famous DC characters. Had he been that awesome why it was never so?
    New52 Aquaman is not just a commercial success but also a critical success.

You find endless people(comic readers) who relate they got to read Aquaman since N52 or many lapsed fans who returned to read it, after they had enough of how Arthur was distorted. Since N52 not Just Arthur has been Awesome as he deserved, but also Mera, who is now a star in her own right. Don't tell that Mera was also awesome before N52?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only Namor-esque aspect of New 52 Aquaman was the throne drama. Characterization-wise Arthur was as far from Namor as possible.
    You couldn't have said it better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    PAD with the dolphin affair he ends it in three panels, with no reasonable explanation and Arthur acts as if he didn't care and he had just used her. While still with Dolphin, when he gets killed, his last words instead of Dolphin he calls Mera's name. The main problem however was that Arthur or Orin as he had him called, was an angry arrogant middle aged man.
    As much as I appreciate PAD for bringing Dolphin out of obscurity I agree, that was awful.

On the subject of Dolphin, something's been bothering me. During the "Sink Atlantis" arc Arthur learned that she was in love with him (Harley Quin told him). Did Arthur himself ever address this or talk to her about it?

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    As much as I appreciate PAD for bringing Dolphin out of obscurity I agree, that was awful.

On the subject of Dolphin, something's been bothering me. During the "Sink Atlantis" arc Arthur learned that she was in love with him (Harley Quin told him). Did Arthur himself ever address this or talk to her about it?
    I don't even remember that...

Incredible Member

I don't even remember that...
    Like I said it was during the "Sink Atlantis" arc. Aquaman and the Suicide Squad had teamed up to stop Lord Satanis from destroying Atlantis with an A-bomb. He had raised a magic barrier to stop them getting to him but Dolphin had managed to sneak past his notice before he raised it. Aquaman pleaded with her not to face Satanis alone as he was too powerful but she swam off to do so anyway. As they all watched her go Harley said, "She says she loves you."

Seriously, how could you not remember that? It's one of the best parts of the run.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post

No, and during KSD's run Dolphin got a new boyfriend named Pilot
    Last edited by asar; 06-10-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asar View Post
    No, and during KSD's run Dolphin got a new boyfriend named Pilot
    Because Garth is persona non grata in the Aqua-books or interacting with anyone he was relevant to in a prior continuity, including the mother of his child.

Incredible Member

No,
    Thought not.

and during KSD's run Dolphin got a new boyfriend named Pilot
    Thanks but I knew that. I was very pleased by it. Pilot's crush on her was cute and she's a very beautiful young woman. She should have admirers.

I'm disappointed in Aquaman though. You'd think he'd show a bit more empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier
    Because Garth is persona non grata in the Aqua-books or interacting with anyone he was relevant to in a prior continuity, including the mother of his child.
    You have my sympathies. I understand why a Garth fan would be displeased by that.

All-New Member

[QUOTE=hareluyafan1;5579439]Thought not.

Thanks but I knew that. I was very pleased by it. Pilot's crush on her was cute and she's a very beautiful young woman. She should have admirers.

I'm disappointed in Aquaman though. You'd think he'd show a bit more empathy.

Remember that crossover was at the end of Abnett run so probably if he had continued in the book he would have explored the relationship between Arthur and Dolphin more, KSD was asked about love triangles on the Wordballoon channel and she said she didn't like that trope in comics so that's probably why that Dolphin confession was immediately canned when KSD started writing the book

Incredible Member

Remember that crossover was at the end of Abnett run so probably if he had continued in the book he would have explored the relationship between Arthur and Dolphin more,
    True.

KSD was asked about love triangles on the Wordballoon channel and she said she didn't like that trope in comics so that's probably why that Dolphin confession was immediately canned when KSD started writing the book
    There's no need for a love triangle though. Just a scene where Arthur talks to Dolphin and explains that while he doesn't return those feelings, he still cares about her. She understands and accepts this. Just let her down gently. No fuss, no drama. Would that really have been so hard?

This reminds me of the arc where they found Atlanna in the comics.

Ultimate Member

The only people to whom Arthur was a laughing stock were people who only know him from the Super Friends cartoon. Comics readers never were under the impression he was uncool.
    The majority of folks I have met that are Aquaman fans-don't read the comics. They know him from that cartoon and did not care what he looked like-they were happy to see the film be made.

The few I met that have read a run-it was PAD's run not the New 52 one. Now comic book fan wise-Johns run did more good than bad to get readers.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This reminds me of the arc where they found Atlanna in the comics.
    Which they burned in the first movie. :/

I loved listening to KSD talk about how much editors tried to make her write some bullshit and she just resisted it. I miss her on that book.