Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344 LastLast

I like the KSD run even if some of the ideas and characterizations just didn't jive all that well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I like the KSD run even if some of the ideas and characterizations just didn't jive all that well with me.
    no run is perfect, I loved it, but I admit the killing of Arthur was dumb and the book never recovered at sales after that. The main issue I have however is that she stretched it a little too far. She could have done without some issues and done the conclusion of her run much better, as it was a little rushed to fit all in one issue. She could have for example shown the reunion between Mera and Andy or the actual wedding ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    no run is perfect, I loved it, but I admit the killing of Arthur was dumb and the book never recovered at sales after that. The main issue I have however is that she stretched it a little too far. She could have done without some issues and done the conclusion of her run much better, as it was a little rushed to fit all in one issue. She could have for example shown the reunion between Mera and Andy or the actual wedding ceremony.
    For me, it was solid but some of the characiterization/certain story beats just didn't jive with me:

- Arthur not wearing a shirt 90% of the time.

- Arthur's relationship with Orm and Orm in general felt off.

- Undoing the monarchy for the umpteenth time.

For me, it was solid but some of the characiterization/certain story beats just didn't jive with me:

TBH the Arthur not wearing a shirt I don't think is due to KSD, he is shirtless everywhere he appears, so I believe its Editorial. KSD knew that it wasn't popular and even came up in the second part of her run with the short beard and hair, which was an acceptable comprise, but as soon as she left, they reverted back.

Some story beats as you say didn't make sense. But honestly the killing of Arthur by Mera was the dumbest, especially the reasons with that stupid tantrum from Mera. As I said before I loved the run but when I read that issue, I said to myself the book won't survive, as a matter of fact I was right, it went into a sharp decline in sales from that moment. Cancelation was inevitable. Quite a pity, because she left a book that had plenty of paths to take, which is an achievement in itself, if you take in consideration that she found a book in a dead end.

I finally finished it and i agreed, with the second especially, i haven't been keeping up with Orm before this, but his voice was weird, i can't really explain it, it was just weird.

It was still fun thought and hey they finally got married, so this was like a nice epilogue from the Johns run.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    TBH the Arthur not wearing a shirt I don't think is due to KSD, he is shirtless everywhere he appears, so I believe its Editorial. KSD knew that it wasn't popular and even came up in the second part of her run with the short beard and hair, which was an acceptable comprise, but as soon as she left, they reverted back.
    And the tatoos (which were, like, part of the only reason he was shirtless) still feel totally unnecessary.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

And the tatoos (which were, like, part of the only reason he was shirtless) still feel totally unnecessary.
    That's because they *are* totally unnecessary, and were slapped on strictly for movie synergy.

I'm honestly surprised there haven't been cries of cultural appropriation (unless there have been and I've missed it?).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    That's because they *are* totally unnecessary, and were slapped on strictly for movie synergy.

I'm honestly surprised there haven't been cries of cultural appropriation (unless there have been and I've missed it?).
    I've mentioned it, although I guess since they were "gifts" from the gods it means they're not supposed to be in-universe even if they're obviously basing it off Momoa's culture which has nothing to do with comic Arthur.

My friend if it was ONLY in KSD run, I would say it was due to her input, but he is STILL shirtless and with tattoos be it in JL or the Aqualad comics. To a point that he looks ridiculous.

It is an Editorial decision to have him shirtless, with tattoos, long hair and beard. After all these years they still don't get it, It does not sell.

I've mentioned it, although I guess since they were "gifts" from the gods it means they're not supposed to be in-universe even if they're obviously basing it off Momoa's culture which has nothing to do with comic Arthur.
    Agreed, but I am not sure anymore that it is to connect to Momoa's Aquaman, because they must be dumb not to see it hasn't worked, Arthur with this look got his comic canceled, No new readers came along after the movie, on the contrary it got very low sales. SO either they are a bunch of incompetents or they have other reasons. Let's hope it is the later, otherwise Arthur is in big trouble with this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I finally finished it and i agreed, with the second especially, i haven't been keeping up with Orm before this, but his voice was weird, i can't really explain it, it was just weird.

It was still fun thought and hey they finally got married, so this was like a nice epilogue from the Johns run.
    It was a very good run, I prefer it to Abnett's, My regrets is that epilogue was rushed, the wedding should have had an issue of its own and not taking place off panel.

EpxHLxUWMAMeuRy.jpg

Frontier can you see how they retouched the original drawing of Mendonca in the actual Aquaman 66 that went into print? that was the issue after KSD run had ended. So the long hair, beard, no shirt(although in this case they had to keep it) are Editorial.

It might be editorial, but it's still something in the run I did not appreciate/love.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It might be editorial, but it's still something in the run I did not appreciate/love.
    Same here.

Look. I don't like monarchies in real life, but this is a fantasy setting where they can actually work and be interesting. What's the fucking point to fiction if we're just going to use it to circle jerk our defacto method of government? If the end point of our fantasy cultures is basically democracy by way of idealized USA, we should probably wrap up the entire concept of fiction save for the fact that we can't actually execute it as promised in reality either... But there's less to set Atlantis apart from the rest of the DCU now than there was before. It was not an additive decision in my reading at least.

I liked the KSD run but my god I'm tired of trashing the throne. That Atlantis is different is part of what makes it interesting and I genuinely enjoyed when Arthur and Mera had to balance their duties as monarchs instead of elected citizens. It's different. It's a lot more unique and interesting as a piece of fiction to watch someone struggle with a lifetime appointment they don't want but are clearly uniquely qualified for.

I would never want to live in a monarchy because I don't trust people to be benevolent. Arthur generally can be, as can Mera. KSD's run had some great ideas and she gave us Andy, which rules, but that was a definite misfire for me.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Same here.

Look. I don't like monarchies in real life, but this is a fantasy setting where they can actually work and be interesting. What's the fucking point to fiction if we're just going to use it to circle jerk our defacto method of government? If the end point of our fantasy cultures is basically democracy by way of idealized USA, we should probably wrap up the entire concept of fiction save for the fact that we can't actually execute it as promised in reality either... But there's less to set Atlantis apart from the rest of the DCU now than there was before. It was not an additive decision in my reading at least.

I liked the KSD run but my god I'm tired of trashing the throne. That Atlantis is different is part of what makes it interesting and I genuinely enjoyed when Arthur and Mera had to balance their duties as monarchs instead of elected citizens. It's different. It's a lot more unique and interesting as a piece of fiction to watch someone struggle with a lifetime appointment they don't want but are clearly uniquely qualified for.

I would never want to live in a monarchy because I don't trust people to be benevolent. Arthur generally can be, as can Mera. KSD's run had some great ideas and she gave us Andy, which rules, but that was a definite misfire for me.
    I mean, fantasy and all that, but I think royalty and monarchies can be cool and fun. I don't see the need to undo them all the time in fiction (especially when I'm increasingly aware of how complex and complicated American democracy can be).

Especially when you know come a few years Aquaman will probably be king again. Like, they juts released his cartoon where it's literally titled "Aquaman: King of Atlantis."

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Same here.

Agreed, the reason given that monarchies are Unamerican is weird to say the least. As you say its fantasy and I would add being King and Queen is something that distinguishes Arthur and Mera from the rest of DC characters. One issue I always had with writers in Aquaman, is why on earth it has always to be, he is not liked as king or gets removed, can't they try and make him a King that is respected by Atlantians for once. As for KSD run I liked it very much, she gave us Aquafans two things we had been wanting for long, an Aquababy and an Aquawedding.

Especially when you know come a few years Aquaman will probably be king again. Like, they juts released his cartoon where it's literally titled "Aquaman: King of Atlantis."
    Spot on, the lack of sync between the comics and of how Aquaman is shown in movie and the latest animation makes you wonder if they know what they are doing. Its not through giving Arthur tattoos that you connect with the global hit Aquaman movie was.

PS- Speaking of the cartoon, putting aside the childish aspect of the show, it has Arthur and Mera front and center, shows Wan's input into this, since he supervised the project, he clearly understands that the two are pivotal in any Aquaman version. Something fans have been saying this for some time now. A concept Johns came up with in N52 and that worked well. When it is not used in comics, the book suffers terribly. Watching the animation I fully understood what some fans have been saying, It might have Aquaman as a title but it is about Aquaman and Mera in all truth.
    Last edited by Goldrake; 10-14-2021 at 04:17 PM.