Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I just skimmed the issue and tbh idk whether I actually care to read it in full b/c I just wanted info on the new characters and Red X but imma try later.

So about half of the cast of new characters spoilers:
    that we'll be introduced to is missing which I guess we can presume are dead or at least one of the missing/presumed dead is Red X.

The girl with the hijab, the guy that seemed to be made from stitched material, the blonde guy, the third Gotham/Batman expatriate and 2 more male characters, out of these characters, one of them is Red X while the rest is dead.

So my thoughts on the new characters from what little I've seen.

I'm interested in Bratgirl, I can already pitch for the character in the present and in the future; and just using the name as context, I feel like her personality could be completely different from Barbara, Cass, Stefanie, and any other female bat character, maybe on the bratty/b*tchy side which could turn people off but that could be half the fun of the character and appeal, her growing while also maintaining certain aspects of those traits; so I'm here for the character.

I will say a part of me is resistant to the name b/c I am aware of the connotations and stereotyping it can have and I can definitely see some controversy if someone with a big following made their complaints heard.

I also wish we saw a full look of her costume but I did like how her locs made bat ears, very reminiscent of the hairstyle where women and girls use their own hair to make a bow.

Chupacabra, while I am here for Bratgirl, I like that Chupacabra isn't a Robin or a Batgirl type character who's older, but he's more like Manbat and I feel like this character now has the opportunity to appear in Justice League Dark instead of getting lost in the many Batman characters or Titans characters, he can now be a part of the small percentage of characters who are supernatural/mystic.

Totally Tubular, he is definitely giving off the comedic vibes, I hope in the series that the writer understands that there is a difference between a character who is funny and a class clown I don't need every dialogue to be some joke, don't force it.

I like his costume but I don't like his hero name, I understand the 80s/90s reference, still don't care for it, although I can probably get used to it.

Gorilla Gregg, I wished he was named something different but at the same time I also like how it kind of softens the character and as result you automatically know he's the opposite of Gorilla Grodd in attitude and personality, I feel like this character has a chance to appear in a Flash book, so I kind of hope he's utilized there as well; I also wish I could have seen more of his costumed look.

Bolt, we only saw her once in a flashback, but we know she's alive b/c Future State Suicide Squad takes place after Future State Teen Titans. The thing I wanted to highlight is the fact that she has legs in one of the flashback pages, which means that she went to the dark side after losing her legs which would be understandable, but the whole disabled/disfigured villain thing is a trope for a reason... so I hope Future State Suicide Squad indicates otherwise, although this is just a possible future who knows what path she can ultimately end up on. Which brings me to the fact that we may see her lose her legs in Titans Academy since she had prosthetics in the Infinite Frontier cover.

And last but not least, despite me liking Red X from the animated series, this one was blah, maybe it was b/c I skimmed the issue but nothing drew me to this version of Red X which then makes me wonder why am I suppose to care about who Red X is?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by kurenai24; 01-13-2021 at 09:25 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer