Page 42 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Yeah, Beast is a Marvel character. So just dropping the Boy isn't an option.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Gar could always take up his Kingdom Come name of Menagerie.
    can he change to other being or is he limited to realistic animals?

I mean, thinking seriously though, I feel like it would be a long battle trying to disassociate Gar with "Beast Boy" within the public consciousness.

What's amusing is that you can't even call 'Garfield' or 'Logan' for the same reasons you can't call him 'Beast Man' or 'Beast'.

I maintain 'Beastie' is the best option. :P

Astonishing Member

Does Gar's codename really need to be changed? I don't think so, especially since all of the names that might suit him are taken. Beast Mode could work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    What's amusing is that you can't even call 'Garfield' or 'Logan' for the same reasons you can't call him 'Beast Man' or 'Beast'.

I maintain 'Beastie' is the best option. :P
    Garfield I get because of the cartoon cat, but Logan? You're thinking of Marvel's Wolverine I assume, but Logan is just Wolverine's nickname, the name he gave himself when he didn't know his real one. His real name was revealed to be James Howlett in the House of M event a decade and a half ago. Besides, Gar predates Wolverine.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

from Gail Simone's Twitter answering New 52 question

Do you know what the thinking was around the Titans characters? I've always wondered why there wasn't more done to capitalise on the sucess of the cartoon, and why they went the other way and completely gutted the franchise.

I don’t know why the Titans weren’t more forward, but I suspect editorial felt sidekicks bring down their mentors conceptually.

I disagree, but it’s a common belief.

I didn't post this at first because she said she doesn't know for a fact why they're not included, but then I read the last line. "It's a common belief"

So there are other people at DC beside Didio that view Titans that way and this is known.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    from Gail Simone's Twitter answering New 52 question

Do you know what the thinking was around the Titans characters? I've always wondered why there wasn't more done to capitalise on the sucess of the cartoon, and why they went the other way and completely gutted the franchise.

I don’t know why the Titans weren’t more forward, but I suspect editorial felt sidekicks bring down their mentors conceptually.

I disagree, but it’s a common belief.

I didn't post this at first because she said she doesn't know for a fact why they're not included, but then I read the last line. "It's a common belief"

So there are other people at DC beside Didio that view Titans that way and this is known.
    I can kind of see it in the sense that the New 52 Titans tried to divorce their members from their ostensible mentors as much as possible, so Wonder Girl and Kid Flash had nothing to do with Wonder Woman or The Flash and Tim was only rarely in Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It's Garth from the TV Show.

Why is Arthur wearing a reworked version of Jay Garrick's costume?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Garfield I get because of the cartoon cat, but Logan? You're thinking of Marvel's Wolverine I assume, but Logan is just Wolverine's nickname, the name he gave himself when he didn't know his real one. His real name was revealed to be James Howlett in the House of M event a decade and a half ago. Besides, Gar predates Wolverine.
    Yeah but most people know him as Logan than James Howlett. He even had a critically acclaimed movie just called 'Logan' based on a critically acclaimed comic book story arc called 'Old Man Logan'.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Does Gar's codename really need to be changed? I don't think so, especially since all of the names that might suit him are taken. Beast Mode could work, though.
    The main thing is that since their ages have been upped again to be about where they were before Flashpoint, Beast Boy and Raven are both adults again. It's the same argument that you hear for Jean Grey calling herself Marvel Girl. People believe that if characters are over a certain age (see: if they aren't teenagers) they can't use these codenames anymore.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    The main thing is that since their ages have been upped again to be about where they were before Flashpoint, Beast Boy and Raven are both adults again. It's the same argument that you hear for Jean Grey calling herself Marvel Girl. People believe that if characters are over a certain age (see: if they aren't teenagers) they can't use these codenames anymore.
    Barbara still goes by Batgirl tho.
    Helen Parr from the Incredibles is a mom of three kids and still call herself Elastigirl.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Barbara still goes by Batgirl tho.
    Helen Parr from the Incredibles is a mom of three kids and still call herself Elastigirl.
    I didn't say I personally had a problem with it. I'm one of the Jean Grey fans that actually is fine with the Marvel Girl codename.

I just understand where people are coming from.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I agree with you in principle but, Hawkgirl, Batgirl, Supergirl… We’ve had the “woman” versions but it’s sort of like Superman’s red underwear. It makes sense to change it but it just doesn’t feel right.

I think that’s a bad reason not to use Hawkwoman, Batwoman (let DC work it out), and Superwoman though. We’ll get used to it and women won’t be infantilized as they have been this way. I’m all for those changes.

But no matter how old Gar gets, Beast Boy still works for me and IIRC it wasn’t him that wanted to change it. If he wasn’t wanting to change it, I say don’t break something by trying to fix what’s not broken. That’s how we got COIE and they’re still trying to clean up after that one,

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I agree with you in principle but, Hawkgirl, Batgirl, Supergirl… We’ve had the “woman” versions but it’s sort of like Superman’s red underwear. It makes sense to change it but it just doesn’t feel right.

I think that’s a bad reason not to use Hawkwoman, Batwoman (let DC work it out), and Superwoman though. We’ll get used to it and women won’t be infantilized as they have been this way. I’m all for those changes.

But no matter how old Gar gets, Beast Boy still works for me and IIRC it wasn’t him that wanted to change it. If he wasn’t wanting to change it, I say don’t break something by trying to fix what’s not broken. That’s how we got COIE and they’re still trying to clean up after that one,
    Sometimes those are separate characters though.