Page 4 of 70 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It makes no sense why DC refuses to revamp existing Titans(considering that most of the well known ones have been reduced to messes due to decades of bad writing)and insists on adding more characters to the franchise, most of whom are destined for obscurity and unfortunately canon fodder.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Can't say I like much the Titans Academy idea. IMHO, it was already a weak concept when Geoff Johns tried to do something similar in his Teen Titans run. And that was with the then top tier sidekics in the DCU, the top writer of the company (If I'm not mistaken, Johns was already well on his way to became that) and a first class artist. I don't think it'll be better with a bunch of lame characters nobody ever heard of.
    DC really should try to take a look at what made the Titans great in their hey days, and, not try to copy, redo and recapture it for the thousandeth time, but use that as a template for a new team. A few big name Titans, a few newbies with clear and great story potential (maybe even a few revamped less-knom former members), a clear mission statement, and great character work, which will build into strong new relationships. All that, and a cohesive creative team at the top of their game. Honestly, as long as one of those itens are missing, they'll never be able to recapture lightning. Plus, I don't think this less strict and clear continuity policy will do much good for a title with such rich history as the Titans.

Peace
    In theory, less continuity makes it easier to retool and reinvent existing characters, but DC isn't interested in that.

Extraordinary Member

Waiting to see if cyborg gets put in limbo due to Ray shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    It makes no sense why DC refuses to revamp existing Titans(considering that most of the well known ones have been reduced to messes due to decades of bad writing)and insists on adding more characters to the franchise, most of whom are destined for obscurity and unfortunately canon fodder.
    The X-Men had this same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Waiting to see if cyborg gets put in limbo due to Ray shenanigans
    Why they would punish the character cause of the actor?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Why they would punish the character cause of the actor?
    Becuase it’s all exhausting

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Becuase it’s all exhausting
    That’s not how publishing works. Ever since the failure of the Justice League movie DC’s been shuffling Cyborg to the side. 2018 he went to the B-team JLO and now he’s back to just being another Titan. What more could DC do to express their dissatisfaction with the DCEU Cyborg?

There’s literally no reason to put him in limbo when there’s an upcoming Titans revival and DC is placing a heavy emphasis on their black characters. If he’s not gonna be on the League the character has enough visibility and legacy to be at the forefront of the Titans brand. DC’s not stupid enough to completely sideline comic Cyborg just because of an actor. Especially when he’s still getting well received appearances in the likes of Young Justice and Doom Patrol.

Is Raven still going to be a teen at the start of this run? She can't really be a teen and a teacher at the same time I'd think. They had her interacting with Wallace in that one scene during the party, which is a bit weird since the two dated or at least made out. If she is still a teen I guess that is fine, but if she is aged back up then that makes their whole dynamic problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Wha?

She's literally wearing the same costume that she's worn since 2018 in this issue though, and she has gold/orange skin. Even with the weird ponytail and her eyes having irises and pupils, she's recognizable.
    She kind of reminded me of Medusa from Marvel for some reason. It just didn't feel like Starfire. Maybe it was the ponytail that looked weird that did it along with her eyes, haha.
    Last edited by Badou; 01-14-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't really view Johns' Titans as a school, but I guess the older Titans were trying to mentor the young ones as much as give them a safe space away from their mentors and drama.
    Same, I always see it as more of a programme which helps young heroes by mentoring them and giving them a little bit more experience because the YJ4 and pretty much all of their contemporaries were not rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Is Raven still going to be a teen at the start of this run? She can't really be a teen and a teacher at the same time I'd think. They had her interacting with Wallace in that one scene during the party, which is a bit weird since the two dated or at least made out. If she is still a teen I guess that is fine, but if she is aged back up then that makes their whole dynamic problematic.
    It seems like Beast Boy is older too. Maybe they'll just be 18-ish now.

Astonishing Member

The X-Men had this same problem.
    Yeah, but I feel like X Men handled things better(though I grew tired of the pointless killings to raise stakes). They killed their characters without dragging them through the mud and the current direction(regardless of controversy) did the right thing by bringing them back.

The only X Men who got really derailed were Bishop(whole genocide timeline to kill Hope),Prof. X(especially when they tried to make him more morally grey)and Jubilee( turning her into a vampire for a bit was nothing more than a cheap stunt to cash in on Twilight's popularity). The list of Titans who got derailed and killed off has to be in double digits by now.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Yeah, but I feel like X Men handled things better(though I grew tired of the pointless killings to raise stakes). They killed their characters without dragging them through the mud and the current direction(regardless of controversy) did the right thing by bringing them back.

The only X Men who got really derailed were Bishop(whole genocide timeline to kill Hope),Prof. X(especially when they tried to make him more morally grey)and Jubilee( turning her into a vampire for a bit was nothing more than a cheap stunt to cash in on Twilight's popularity). The list of Titans who got derailed and killed off has to be in double digits by now.
    Did we ever see a bunch of Titans get blown up in a bus?

Astonishing Member

Did we ever see a bunch of Titans get blown up in a bus?
    I don't think so. Lets hope the new writers don't get any ideas or happen to be lurking this forum.

The equivalent of the bus bombing was SBP killing off a whole bunch of them.

The Titans Academy would be interesting...provided that they avert the whole Future State crap. With the Titans from the Original and NTT eras as the mentors/teachers, I would be very much in favor of it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    The Titans Academy would be interesting...provided that they avert the whole Future State crap. With the Titans from the Original and NTT eras as the mentors/teachers, I would be very much in favor of it.
    Honestly, Titans Academy will be a waste if the bad end we see in Future State comes to fruition.