Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't get this pining for a nostalgic era. Sale gets props for giving Selina some muscle and definition whose body fits the kind of work she does but around the same period where Long Halloween came out, Catwoman was being drawn by Jim Balent who often got criticism for the extremely sexualized way he drew her in her book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I've never read Catwoman's 90 series with Balent, I just mainly like Sale went against the usual physique one gives Selina even if I prefer something closer to Cooke.
    There’s basically two eras to the Balent era of Catwoman - the first, where the “measurements” were somewhat ridiculous but not that far from the standard of the era (it was the 90’s after all), and where Balent’s facial expressions for Selina and other characters were generally pretty good... then the second, where Balent’s style degenerated so badly the “measurements” became absolutely ludicrous even for the 90’s and the style was ridiculous even beyond that point.

One thing that gets forgotten sometimes, though, is that there were a number of strong writers who managed to make the “charming rogue and cat burglar” aspect of the character work very well. Dixon, Ostrander, and Grayson were pretty good at making good heist stories and giving her a personality that, if I can be honest, I sometimes find more interesting than the Brubaker run.

But the purple spandex suit was pretty much ground zero for the “Most Common Superpower” trope being over-applied to the character. I still *like* the dark purple color and the overall design, but much more when it’s got details and gear.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

There's Ostrander Catwoman to read? Tell me more.

After rereading Catwoman for Brubaker's writing mostly... the second half of his run is all over the place in quality.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post

After rereading Catwoman for Brubaker's writing mostly... the second half of his run is all over the place in quality.
    It starts in Catwoman Vol. 1, #72, and it’s a No Man’s Land tie-in involving Batman hiring Catwoman to steal some info for him... but only after tricking her into breaking into Gotham before having her break out again. She ends up fighting Mercy over the info, and it’s heavily implied to be the Amazon Mercy, instead of the human Mercy Graves.

It’s also in that second part of the Balent run, so the art’s ridiculous, but the story’s still good.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It starts in Catwoman Vol. 1, #72, and it’s a No Man’s Land tie-in involving Batman hiring Catwoman to steal some info for him... but only after tricking her into breaking into Gotham before having her break out again. She ends up fighting Mercy over the info, and it’s heavily implied to be the Amazon Mercy, instead of the human Mercy Graves.

It’s also in that second part of the Balent run, so the art’s ridiculous, but the story’s still good.
    Ok, I remember the issue now but was unaware of Ostrander writing Selina. Mercy is dearly missed as well. What are you doing DC?

Aside from that: Jock
    118623-7328-109253-1-catwoman.jpg
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-15-2021 at 03:50 AM.

"I tawt I taw a pretty cat" .

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

I can imagine a million Batman continuities without Black Mask or Leslie Thompkins but never one without Selina Kyle. She's just that entrenched in Batman lore for me

The minute Rachel was blown up in the Dark Knight, I thought to myself "There totally gonna bring in Catwoman in the sequel".

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

By the way where is Alleytown located in Gotham?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post

Felt that way about Brubaker's Catwoman too. He set the cat statue mystery up so well and then it was later resolved in like two or three(?) kinda awkward Issues. Multiple stories felt a bit disjointed. Still a good run, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    By the way where is Alleytown located in Gotham?
    In the East End somewhere close to Crime Alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencermalley935 View Post
    I can imagine a million Batman continuities without Black Mask or Leslie Thompkins but never one without Selina Kyle. She's just that entrenched in Batman lore for me

The minute Rachel was blown up in the Dark Knight, I thought to myself "There totally gonna bring in Catwoman in the sequel".
    Morbid, but true .

Incredible Member

Another solid ish by Ram V with great art by Blanco.

I haven't read Catwoman for awhile now. Are we supposed to know why Penguin would put a hit out on her? (Not that this is all that important to all the plot threads and characters that Ram is weaving together). Thanks if someone knows.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Another solid ish by Ram V with great art by Blanco.

I haven't read Catwoman for awhile now. Are we supposed to know why Penguin would put a hit out on her? (Not that this is all that important to all the plot threads and characters that Ram is weaving together). Thanks if someone knows.
    Blanco has become one of my fav Catwoman artists. He improves every issue.

Selina worked together with Penguin during Joker War. She promised him and the Riddler a part of Bruce's money. Of course, she didn't hold her word, gave the fortune to Lucius instead, and then robbed them. It's the start of Ram V's run. If you like his writing it's worth to start reading from Catwoman #25.

Any idea who the man is that gives Selina the invitation to Mr. Roy's place? I didn't expect a new player already.

I hope we see Selina interact with Shoes for a bit next Issue and see the Wight Witch again.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Blanco has become one of my fav Catwoman artists. He improves every issue.

Selina worked together with Penguin during Joker War. She promised him and the Riddler a part of Bruce's money. Of course, she didn't hold her word, gave the fortune to Lucius instead, and then robbed them. It's the start of Ram V's run. If you like his writing it's worth to start reading from Catwoman #25.

Any idea who the man is that gives Selina the invitation to Mr. Roy's place? I didn't expect a new player already.

I hope we see Selina interact with Shoes for a bit next Issue and see the Wight Witch again.
    Ahhh, that makes sense. I thought his run started with all the other Infinite Frontier stuff so I only read the past two issues. Thanks again!

hahaha cute
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."