Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Hathaway nailed quite a few things about modern Catwoman that had been sorely lacking from Pfeiffer’s take on the character - she was actually a genuine thief, she had the flirtatiously self-serving aspect down, the quiet and hidden righteous streak, and could be the “downtown girl in uptown girl clothing.”

Really, my only problem was with her costume. Considering they allowed her to express a restrained degree of fangirl-ism for Batman, it would have worked to give her a cowl and explain it away as a personal affectation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the main thing she was missing was the whip. I keep forgetting she didn't have it.

I mean, I think Ann Hathaway has that perfect blend of class and sexiness, but that's just me...
    Huh, I just realized she didn't have one either. Don't know why I think she did.

Guess they could have given her something like the grappling hook gun if they wanted to.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    I felt like she was play-acting. She is not sexy and she was trying really hard to pretend to be. It felt like she was posing and preening. Fake and forced.
    I disagree wholeheartedly.

To me she was no more "fake and forced" than any other adaption of the character.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

What's the consensus on Ram's run thus far? The book felt like it was spinning plates and I dropped it during the Jones stuff and ever since Tynion basically said "lol not dealing with it" to Bruce and Selina I've avoided both their books.

But the art and covers always look so good and I love JLD, so I'm curious and hoping some fellow Catwoman fans can enlighten me on if it's worth diving back into her series.

by Elizabeth Torque

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    What's the consensus on Ram's run thus far? The book felt like it was spinning plates and I dropped it during the Jones stuff and ever since Tynion basically said "lol not dealing with it" to Bruce and Selina I've avoided both their books.

But the art and covers always look so good and I love JLD, so I'm curious and hoping some fellow Catwoman fans can enlighten me on if it's worth diving back into her series.
    I also dropped out during Jones's run and then came back when I saw a new writer had taken over. By now Ram V has turned into one of my favs.

Catwoman has consistently been good since he took over. His characterization of Selina is very solid. The BatCat break-up is still mentioned here and there, but it doesn't stand in the foreground. There seems to be a build-up to something, though. V has introduced quite the supporting cast and new villains. A few established Gotham rogues are also part of the stories.

Blanco & Bellaire are great on art. Gotham looks gritty but not dark. Blanco also portraits Selina well and gives her a different vibe depending on the situation.

I recommend reading V's & Blanco's run from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I also dropped out during Jones's run and then came back when I saw a new writer had taken over. By now Ram V has turned into one of my favs.

Catwoman has consistently been good since he took over. His characterization of Selina is very solid. The BatCat break-up is still mentioned here and there, but it doesn't stand in the foreground. There seems to be a build-up to something, though. V has introduced quite the supporting cast and new villains. A few established Gotham rogues are also part of the stories.

Blanco & Bellaire are great on art. Gotham looks gritty but not dark. Blanco also portraits Selina well and gives her a different vibe depending on the situation.

I recommend reading V's & Blanco's run from the start.
    Oh, good to hear. I heard underwhelming things about Jones' run so I'll try to check this out when the trade comes.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    I felt like she was play-acting. She is not sexy and she was trying really hard to pretend to be. It felt like she was posing and preening. Fake and forced.
    Really? I mean she's not ScarJo hot or anything, but she's still rather quite attractive. I'd say she's sexy.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

My only misgivings was because her Princess Diaries image was too strong, much like Robert Pattinson with Twilight, but I'm sold when I saw they're going for a modern Julie Newmar look, and even more sold when she said "whoops"

Speaking of Rob Pat, I'm already sold when I saw him rocking the short hair rich guy look from his other movie, forget the title, but I don't like his hair in The Batman.

I think he'll make a good Resident Evil Leon S. Kennedy with that hair though.

Zoe Kravits Selina looks so good though

Anne played the only version of Selina on screen that felt like it was taken from the comics. I love Pffiefer and all the other Catwomen but it was a thrill seeing Ed Brubaker's Selina on screen (the closest to it at this point). It was a thrill. While she was wearing Newmar's look more than her Cooke one, it was still a great costume. Anyone that has an issue with that can take it up with Nolan as that was his decision. My only issue with the film is that it needed more Selina. She disappeared for a while in the film.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    My only misgivings was because her Princess Diaries image was too strong, much like Robert Pattinson with Twilight, but I'm sold when I saw they're going for a modern Julie Newmar look, and even more sold when she said "whoops"

Speaking of Rob Pat, I'm already sold when I saw him rocking the short hair rich guy look from his other movie, forget the title, but I don't like his hair in The Batman.

I think he'll make a good Resident Evil Leon S. Kennedy with that hair though.

Zoe Kravits Selina looks so good though

I don't understand why some people had a negative view about her being Catwoman based on her Princess Diaries past.

She did far more than just Princess Diaries which is based on the young adult novel of the same name by author Meg Cabot
    When she did that movie, she was in her late teens.
    That movie was released in 1999
    She was born in 1982.

She made her acting debut in the short-lived television drama series Get Real (1999–2000) before starring in her breakthrough role of Mia Thermopolis in the successful Disney comedy The Princess Diaries (2001).[1] It established her as a teen idol and she later reprised the role in its sequel, Royal Engagement.[1] The following year, Hathaway made her New York stage debut in the Encores! production of Carnival!. This was followed by a string of family films such as Nicholas Nickleby (2002) and Ella Enchanted (2004), which were box office flops.[1] In 2005, she transitioned to more mature roles with the acclaimed gay romance Brokeback Mountain.[2] In 2006, Hathaway starred opposite Meryl Streep in the highly successful comedy-drama The Devil Wears Prada and portrayed Jane Austen in the biographical drama Becoming Jane the following year.[1][2]

Hathaway received critical acclaim and a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress for playing a recovering alcoholic in Rachel Getting Married (2008).[1][2][3] She played Viola in The Public Theater's 2009 production of Twelfth Night, which garnered her a Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Play.[4] In 2010, she won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Voice-Over Performance for providing her voice for an episode on The Simpsons.[5] The same year, she played the White Queen in Tim Burton's $1 billion grossing fantasy adventure Alice in Wonderland.[1] For her role as a free-spirited artist in Love & Other Drugs (2010), she earned a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actress – Motion Picture Comedy or Musical.[6] During this period, Hathaway also starred in a number of other box-office hits such as Get Smart (2008), Bride Wars (2009) and Valentine's Day (2010).[7] She then went on to voice a Spix's macaw named Jewel in the animated comedy adventure film Rio (2011) and its sequel Rio 2 (2014).

Her list of acting roles before Dark Knight Rises

Year Title Role Notes Ref(s)
    2001 The Princess Diaries Mia Thermopolis
    2001 The Other Side of Heaven Jean Sabin
    2002 Nicholas Nickleby Madeline Bray
    2003 Cat Returns Haru Yoshioka voice
    2004 Ella Enchanted Ella of Frell
    2004 The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement Mia Thermopolis
    2005 Havoc Allison Lang
    2005 Brokeback Mountain Lureen Newsome Twist
    2005 Hoodwinked! Red Puckett voice
    2006 The Devil Wears Prada Andy Sachs
    2007 Becoming Jane Jane Austen
    2008 Get Smart Agent 99
    2008 Rachel Getting Married Kym Buchman
    2008 Passengers Claire Summers
    2009 Bride Wars Emma Allen
    2010 Valentine's Day Liz Curran
    2010 Alice in Wonderland Mirana / White Queen
    2010 Love & Other Drugs Maggie Murdock
    2011 Rio Jewel voice
    2011 One Day Emma Morley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_performances

she worked hard to avoid getting typecasted
    she has gone well beyond Princess Diaries
    Last edited by Starrius; 04-26-2021 at 11:11 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

I assume it's because Hathaway generally was in films that the average Nolan/Batman didn't go out and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I assume it's because Hathaway generally was in films that the average Nolan/Batman didn't go out and see.
    That's more on the Nolan/Batman fans and not Hathaway herself. I still think the first scene with her and Wayne is perfect Catwoman/Selina energy. I just wish it was shot better.... Nolan should have cut in at one point and fixed his awful audio issues.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    That's more on the Nolan/Batman fans and not Hathaway herself. I still think the first scene with her and Wayne is perfect Catwoman/Selina energy. I just wish it was shot better.... Nolan should have cut in at one point and fixed his awful audio issues.
    Lol, I heard that’s a problem across a few of Nolan’s films.

But yeah, I was sold on Hathaway as Selina after he first scene with Bale in the movie.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Lol, I heard that’s a problem across a few of Nolan’s films.

But yeah, I was sold on Hathaway as Selina after he first scene with Bale in the movie.
    I think it’s the way she changes her posture and facial expression before she even uses her “Catwoman voice” that really sells it. It’s like the second she realized she wasn’t fooling him, she immediately decided that required a mischievously flirtatious response.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Bob Kane using a model to draw CATWOMAN.

CatModel.jpg