Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Is there any examples where Catwoman's sanity is questioned for the way she conducts her life similar to how it happens to batman. Often we see people calling Bruce crazy because he dresses like a Bat. Does the same happen with Selina?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Is there any examples where Catwoman's sanity is questioned for the way she conducts her life similar to how it happens to batman. Often we see people calling Bruce crazy because he dresses like a Bat. Does the same happen with Selina?
    There’s an Arkham City Audio File where Professor Strange tries to psychoanalyze Selina, and claims she’s a misandrist (which has no real basis in the rest of that continuity) and has some daddy issues that she expresses by showing her attraction to Batman via her acting out but can’t trust him.

Of course, it’s Strange, so it’s likely nonsense.

I haven’t seen anyone try and approach her from another angle. While a predictable one might be kleptomania, I don’t think that would fit her because she often shows way too much self-control and awareness for that compulsion. A high degree of risk-taking, adrenaline junky behavior, though, feels like it would fit some kind of psychological issue, though likely something comparatively “tame.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Batman Returns was the only depiction of a mentally unstable Selina as far as I'm aware, where Bruce tried to save her but SHE refused him.

I still feel that movie's characterization of Catwoman was better suited for Poison Ivy, especially early 90's Ivy.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Batman Returns was the only depiction of a mentally unstable Selina as far as I'm aware, where Bruce tried to save her but SHE refused him.

I still feel that movie's characterization of Catwoman was better suited for Poison Ivy, especially early 90's Ivy.
    That version of Selina was so crazy that she belonged in Arkham Asylum.
    I cringed at a lot of her scenes including especially her origin - the mousy secretary thrown out of the building and revived by cats and then she goes make her costume.
    She licked herself in her costume like she's giving her a bath.
    She put a bird in her mouth.

I definitely enjoyed Anne Hathaway's version much more
    She was a sane cat burglar.
    Of course, I liked that she ended up saving Bruce and help him save Gotham City as well as what his endgame.
    I was just disappointed with her costume.
    I was hoping that she'd have the cat cowl.

I really think that they should have put Selina earlier in the Batman trilogy.
    Rachel Dawes seemed unnecessary.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

She's just someone whose here for a fun time.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

55abd39a-c28c-458d-baf2-e884999c6b26-d76667a7-8231-479b-be49-8efb169cd0cc.jpg Vanessa Kirby would be a great Selina but I'm happy with Zoe and hope she gets a great arc

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Batman Returns with unstable Selina has not aged well.

We all know she is a kleptomaniac.

Returns is basically a Catwoman Origins movie plus live action Elseworlds.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    We all know she is a kleptomaniac.

Returns is basically a Catwoman Origins movie plus live action Elseworlds.
    Is she really, though?

Kleptomaniacs, at least those who have a severe enough case that it needs to be diagnosed, often steal things of no value and are completely unable to control the impulse.

Selina often shows enough solid control to target only things either of genuine value or use to herself or others, and doesn’t seem compulsive so much as she is a classic “master thief.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Catwoman in the HQ cartoon is definitely a kleptomaniac because she's constantly stealing stuff.

Now, comic Catwoman doesn't steal everything that isn't nailed down (although she probably could) but I think on a base level she really enjoys taking things even if she usually sets her sights on higher class, valuable, or memorable stuff. Inherently she feels the need to take the things she feels she deserves and was denied as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Is she really, though?

Kleptomaniacs, at least those who have a severe enough case that it needs to be diagnosed, often steal things of no value and are completely unable to control the impulse.

Selina often shows enough solid control to target only things either of genuine value or use to herself or others, and doesn’t seem compulsive so much as she is a classic “master thief.”
    That wasn't a serious answer.

If I had to answer it seriously, I would say she doesn't have a mental illness at all. She might have accumulated trauma, PTSD and depression due to her high risk life style* but I don't think that the reason for her robberies. If I had to apply a reasoning to it, I would say it's because she grew up poor and with nothing so she stole to live and as an adult, she feels entitled to the finer things in life and loves the thrill of the hunt.

*Has a Catwoman with PTSD story been explored yet?
    Last edited by John Venus; 05-17-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

That wasn't a serious answer.

If I had to answer it seriously, I would say she doesn't have a mental illness at all. Maybe she might have accumulated trauma, PTSD and depression due to her high risk life style* but I don't think that the reason for her robberies. If I had to apply a reasoning to it, I would say it's because she grew up poor and with nothing so she stole to live and as an adult, she feels entitled to the finer things in life and loves the thrill of the hunt.

Yeah, I think her having issues makes sense, but she’s clearly about as “high-functioning” with them as Bruce is.

...It would be fascinating to see someone go to a real analyst to break down what diagnosed Catwoman could have, and incorporate them into a story.

While the Arkham City Tape with Strange was clearly meant to show his more condescending and often incorrect type of pop-culture psychology, I could see someone making an analysis of her attraction to yet antagonism with Batman for at the very least some strong character comedy and pathos. I mean, let’s face it, it’s sometimes very bluntly portrayed as her going for some valuables and heists so that Batman can oppose her, because she loves the chase, but wants to simultaneously avoid capture, avoid injuring him unduly, flirt with him, but still frustrate him.

...If they’re going to keep on pumping out Harley Quinn stuff, a good crossover with Catwoman might emerge from having Harleen enter “psychiatrist mode” and genuinely confronting Selina with some subtextual truths that Selina would find annoying, and put it in a very HQ way. Or, since I loved this detail in the TellTale games and now wish more people ran with it... have Selina’s love for the old swashbuckler “The Scarlet Pimpernel” be used as an amusing counterpart to Bruce’s “Zorro” fandom, and embrace the fact they’re both outwardly cynical and pessimistic closeted “romantic swashbuckler” nerds who secretly wish the world followed the rules of those novels, even as insane as they are.

Seriously; every single joke that can be made about Bruce being an overgrown manchild doing a riff on Zorro could be matched by making a joke about world-weary Selina being way too good at mimicking Marguerite St. Just’s role as a combination love interest and unintentional antagonist.

I think there was a Catwoman story dealing with Selina confronting her own mistreatment as a sex worker while helping other prostitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, I think her having issues makes sense, but she’s clearly about as “high-functioning” with them as Bruce is.

...It would be fascinating to see someone go to a real analyst to break down what diagnosed Catwoman could have, and incorporate them into a story.

While the Arkham City Tape with Strange was clearly meant to show his more condescending and often incorrect type of pop-culture psychology, I could see someone making an analysis of her attraction to yet antagonism with Batman for at the very least some strong character comedy and pathos. I mean, let’s face it, it’s sometimes very bluntly portrayed as her going for some valuables and heists so that Batman can oppose her, because she loves the chase, but wants to simultaneously avoid capture, avoid injuring him unduly, flirt with him, but still frustrate him.

...If they’re going to keep on pumping out Harley Quinn stuff, a good crossover with Catwoman might emerge from having Harleen enter “psychiatrist mode” and genuinely confronting Selina with some subtextual truths that Selina would find annoying, and put it in a very HQ way. Or, since I loved this detail in the TellTale games and now wish more people ran with it... have Selina’s love for the old swashbuckler “The Scarlet Pimpernel” be used as an amusing counterpart to Bruce’s “Zorro” fandom, and embrace the fact they’re both outwardly cynical and pessimistic closeted “romantic swashbuckler” nerds who secretly wish the world followed the rules of those novels, even as insane as they are.

Seriously; every single joke that can be made about Bruce being an overgrown manchild doing a riff on Zorro could be matched by making a joke about world-weary Selina being way too good at mimicking Marguerite St. Just’s role as a combination love interest and unintentional antagonist.
    Tangential, but I always thought it'd be interesting if someone did a story where it's revealed most of "mental illnesses" writers/fans ascribe to the Bat-rogues that gets them sent to Arkham was just revealed in-universe to be the work of Strange who has a very outdated/pop culture understanding of psychology.

Perky.

10char
    hahaha yup
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."