Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Bob Kane using a model to draw CATWOMAN.

Attachment 109076
    I'm...not sure what to say about this.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm...not sure what to say about this.
    Oh, I do. The very best reason to become an artist and the prettiest Catwoman I've seen.

Must have been a photo op. Bob Kane rarely 'drew' anything. Nearly everything he did has been traced back to his 'ghost artists'.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Must have been a photo op. Bob Kane rarely 'drew' anything. Nearly everything he did has been traced back to his 'ghost artists'.
    I was going to make a joke about the only thing Kane doing in that photograph was staging it, but you beat me to the bunch!
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

I’ve been thinking fo ways someone could update the aesthetics of Catwoman’s old purple dress and green cape look. I modified one of Clay Mann’s sketches of his Batman and Catwoman art:
    E78B70B3-3E26-4F5D-9036-B74FBF9C0452.jpg
    I though a “half skirt” over trousers might work for the skirt, while a small chain whip could be a back-up weapon/decoration. And a scarf felt like the simplest cape counterpart.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 05-01-2021 at 09:14 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I was going to make a joke about the only thing Kane doing in that photograph was staging it, but you beat me to the bunch!
    I see I wasn't the only one whose mind went there also.

I’ve been thinking fo ways someone could update the aesthetics of Catwoman’s old purple dress and green cape look. I modified one of Clay Mann’s sketches of his Batman and Catwoman art:
    I though a “half skirt” over trousers might work for the skirt, while a small chain whip could be a back-up weapon/decoration. And a scarf felt like the simplest cape counterpart.
    Prefer Selina in black but this isn't a bad re-design of the old costume.

The scarf is actually a nice detail.

Makes me itch for another globe trotting Catwoman adventure like 'Selina's Big Score'.

Two questions for the Selina superfans:

1) What is Selina's canon "origin" story atm? I imagine DC's new continuity from Infinite Frontier has thrown a lot of that into disarray, but do we have any sense of the major beats to her becoming Catwoman that are being treated as canon atm?

2) Related question - does anyone know where I can find a rundown of all the places her origin story has been told and where the significant retcons have happened over the years?

All of this is prompted by recently reading the Zero issue post-Zero Hour from the 90s. I'd never read it before, and didn't recognise half the things it included. I realised I don't actually have a headcanon for Selina's pre-Catwoman story, let alone an understanding of what her origin is supposed to be now. Help, links, reflections, personal headcanons also appreciated.

If you've got the time, read this:
    https://dr-von-fangirl.livejournal.com/42641.html

It's an exhaustive compiliation of all of Selina's Post Crisis origin all the way up to 2011.

DC continuity is wonkier than usual these days so I think it's just best to stick to versions that resonate.

Selina has gone from an amnesiac flight attendant to a domestic abuse victim trying to get back at her husband to lowly secretary bitten by cats to a street urchin turned prostitute turned thief. I've met fans for everyone of her origins (except for the flight attendant one). The most common thread is that she is a morally gray character who does whatever is needed to survive.

If you've got the time, read this:
    https://dr-von-fangirl.livejournal.com/42641.html

It's an exhaustive compiliation of all of Selina's Post Crisis origin all the way up to 2011.

DC continuity is wonkier than usual these days so I think it's just best to stick to versions that resonate.

Selina has gone from an amnesiac flight attendant to a domestic abuse victim trying to get back at her husband to lowly secretary bitten by cats to a street urchin turned prostitute turned thief. I've met fans for everyone of her origins (except for the flight attendant one). The most common thread is that she is a morally gray character who does whatever is needed to survive.
    Thank you so much!

EDIT: thank you still stands, but I've tried the site on a few different devices and the images open way too small to read alas!
    Last edited by AlexLyo; 05-03-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Crap. I remember those images being much larger and readable back when this was first posted. They must have gotten tiny because of the various site updates that LJ has done. Luckily I know someone who knows the original poster, I'll tell them about and see if it was reposted elsewhere or if it is possible to 'embiggen' them.

Extraordinary Member

King was implying that different aspects of Selina’s backstory were part of the one she had in his run, so if I had to guess, it’s probably a flexible, vague set of allusions right now.

Selina hasn’t really had a truly definitive origin story element, let alone origin story. Two-Face at least has the acid being thrown in his face as a DA, Joker has Axis Chemicals and the Red Hood ID, Bane is a prisoner elevated to a badass, but Selina has a bunch of “pick and choose” origins even more than the Joker.

I *will* say that it feels like most modern creators picture her as a former street rat of some kind.

There's a joke in here somewhere about Selina's multiple origin elements and cat's having nine lives.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    There's a joke in here somewhere about Selina's multiple origin elements and cat's having nine lives.
    Hey, if Joker can claim he’s so crazy and such a troll that he can change his backstory depending on his mood, nothing should stop Selina from having paid for multiple different documented backgrounds, and settling on 9 different ones as a symbolic flourish.