All-New Member

Default Question: Is there a general theme for 'Batman: The Dark Knight'? (New 52)

I'm just getting into reading comics for the first time, and I'm reading various bat-family comics starting from New 52.

While I have researched where/when to read each collection from each series for the most 'complete' story-telling of Batman's adventures (and got great tips from some nice folks on this forum!), I'm a bit confused about what the overarching theme of 'Batman: The Dark Knight' is...

I have read that, for example, while Batman is of course heavily focused on Batman, Detective Comics includes more heroes in its focus, and of course Batman & Robin focuses on the relationship with his son.

But then what is 'Batman: The Dark Knight' about? Why aren't those stories in either 'Batman' or 'Detective Comics'? What sets them apart in a separate series?

Thanks!

Gregg Hurwitz’s run on the title doesn’t get the recognition it deserves. It was one of the best runs of the New 52. It focused on character work for villains like Mad Hatter and Scarecrow.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

All-New Member

Are you saying that compared to the other Bat series, 'Batman: The Dark Knight' is more about fleshing out some of the (neglected?) villains?

When Gregg Hurwitz took over the title, yes.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikePA View Post
    I'm just getting into reading comics for the first time, and I'm reading various bat-family comics starting from New 52.

While I have researched where/when to read each collection from each series for the most 'complete' story-telling of Batman's adventures (and got great tips from some nice folks on this forum!), I'm a bit confused about what the overarching theme of 'Batman: The Dark Knight' is...

I have read that, for example, while Batman is of course heavily focused on Batman, Detective Comics includes more heroes in its focus, and of course Batman & Robin focuses on the relationship with his son.

But then what is 'Batman: The Dark Knight' about? Why aren't those stories in either 'Batman' or 'Detective Comics'? What sets them apart in a separate series?

Thanks!
    As someone who was reading all the four major Bat-books in the early New 52, I'd say that's...an interesting question.

Batman was the flagship title with the BIG stories and developments.

Batman & Robin of course was about Bruce and Damian and their relationship/partnership (which was new ground back then, since Damian had only been Robin to Dick's Batman before).

'Tec and The Dark Knight felt pretty interchangeable to me back then. They were both the books with the more low-key smaller-scale Batman stories, focused more on detective work and noir elements. Hell, they even had a fair bit of overlap - I seem to recall Bruce dating the same Russian ballet-dancer across both books. The character of Forbes, the GCPD officer opposed to Batman and Gordon, was also on both books iirc.

So yeah, short answer - it was basically supposed to be another book like 'Tec that dealt with smaller-scale solo Batman stories, but didn't really have much to distinguish it beyond that.
    Last edited by bat39; 12-27-2021 at 10:52 PM.

All-New Member

Ah ok, thanks so much for the info!

Also, Batman: The Dark Knight had been a 5-issue series written and drawn by David Finch that came out (infrequently) just prior to the start of the New52.
    During the New52, the series began with Finch co-plotting and drawing the series but Paul Jenkins was suppose to be co-plotting and actually doing the writing. (I forget how long that arrangement lasted.)

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Man, I haven't thought about this run for a while.

I think it's more horroresque as in it was a bit more gruesome and violent

I thought it was pretty good and Finch's art in the beginning was amazing

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Before New 52 started, there's a mini-series also called The Dark Knight with the same writer/artist David Finch. So The Dark Knight started out as a David Finch showcase. This was during the time when DC gave their popular artist a chance to write. The same thing with Tony Daniel, he started with Battle for the Cowl, then Batman, then New 52 Detective Comics.

Then TDK became more of a villain feature, including retelling their origins

Batman remains the main plot slash worldbuilding epic that is the center of the whole line, and Detective tells the more casual stories that don't necessitate you knowing the main plot in Batman.