Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Cooke is one of the definitive Catwoman artists .

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    I really liked the catwoman future state issue. It's been the best Gotham future state book so far... Nightwing a close second
    I think Future State: Catwoman has been the standout winner of Future State for me. Very excited about Selina's book going forward!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think Future State: Catwoman has been the standout winner of Future State for me. Very excited about Selina's book going forward!
    Give me a break. Using Batman and then Ivy as damsel in distress for Catwoman to rescue. Then there is the copy of Batman's origins - a scene of her honoring him after his death by the hands of the Magistrate by trying to be a hero leading a resistance group against the Magistrate.

Catwoman is a character that hits a narrative dead end. You cant have Catwoman reformed because a reformed Catwoman would not be a more interesting hero than other Batfam members. A criminal Catwoman is always gonna be easier to write. But Bruce is not gonna marry a criminal Catwoman. Ultimately she is a character that relies on a gimmick. The longer they do this romance between criminal Catwoman & Batman, the more it just undermines Batman as a crime fighter with intergrity.

DC already made Batman a bad father with dead Robins. Now they make him look like a morally compromised crime fighter. Batman would never say to another thief to steal something important.

The original basis of the Bat / Cat relationship is that no matter how much he cares for her, he still has his own moral principles and has to put the well being of others above his own. Therefore he can never let Catwoman steal anything even if her act of stealing is not motivated purely by selfish gain. Catwoman was there being a foil to make Batman look like a more noble hero, not the other way around where a writer has Batman tell Catwoman to keep stealing.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 02-27-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Fully agree. It's a cool sneak peek into what the strays will become and was just overall so damn smooth narratively and art-wise.

I'm looking forward to what he'll do with Shoes down the line. Might we see Cheshire in Catwoman after Festival of Heroes One-Shot?

I'm also definitely excited for further interactions with Father Valley. I have a feeling that he'll be around for a while.

Mighty Member

Yeah....I like how she is written there. Catwoman is an anti-heroine, but I believe that she it in her to be a heroine. She loves Bruce. If he had gotten killed, I could see her doing more heroic stuff.

She had reformed and become a crimefighter in the 1980s.

Out of all of Batman's rogue gallery, she's the one that I believe is the most likely to reform and join his side.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    Yeah....I like how she is written there. Catwoman is an anti-heroine, but I believe that she it in her to be a heroine. She loves Bruce. If he had gotten killed, I could see her doing more heroic stuff.

She had reformed and become a crimefighter in the 1980s.

Out of all of Batman's rogue gallery, she's the one that I believe is the most likely to reform and join his side.
    A crime fighting Catwoman only doing good is not easier to write than a criminal Catwoman with grey morality being able to do both good & bad. A crime fighting Catwoman would not be more interesting than bunch of long time crime fighters in Batfam like Nightwing.

Catwoman works a foil to Batman, not a standalone heroine.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 02-27-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    A crime fighting Catwoman only doing good is not easier to write than a criminal Catwoman with grey morality being able to do both good & bad. A crime fighting Catwoman would not be more interesting than bunch of long time crime fighters in Batfam like Nightwing.

Catwoman works a foil to Batman, not a standalone heroine.
    That's your opinion
    You have your opinion, and I have mine.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    That's your opinion
    You have your opinion, and I have mine.
    I think the upcoming Batman movie would still have Catwoman as a thief for Batman to catch so its not really just my opinion, its objective fact. Catwoman was not originally designed as Batman's supporting character, she works better as a foil as she was designed to be so. Nobody thinks of Catwoman being synonymous with a crime fighter but a cat burglar. Besides how would a married Catwoman have her own solo? Like is she gonna appear in Batman and then other writer ignore what happens in Batman to write Catwoman in her own solo?
    Last edited by prepmaster; 02-27-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Eh, I seem to remember that her second solo featured her almost exclusively as a crime fighter for vast tracks of time... much like how her first leading role in backup stories tended towards heroism and crime fighting.

Don’t get me wrong; the character is very successful as a cat burglar - arguably it’s her most successful incarnation. But she’s been a more run-of-the-mill supervillain (death traps and gimmick-based crimes), a grim anti-heroine thief, a straight up hero, and more.

And as someone who prefers to think that characters can progress and change in Gotham, trying to say she can only be one thing sounds like imitating Dan Didio’s foolishness about hating sidekicks who get older.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Eh, I seem to remember that her second solo featured her almost exclusively as a crime fighter for vast tracks of time... much like how her first leading role in backup stories tended towards heroism and crime fighting.

And as someone who prefers to think that characters can progress and change in Gotham, trying to say she can only be one thing sounds like imitating Dan Didio’s foolishness about hating sidekicks who get older.
    It works because she is in the grey, not because she is a pure hero. Her motive for crime fighting/heroism, her abilites are not more special than other existing street level heroes out there (Nightwing, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, etc...). If they want to make Catwoman a hero, why dont they let her join BoP but opt to use Harley instead? Harley has been changed and pushed as a hero. Why couldnt they change Catwoman the same way they changed Harley but instead push Cat away from Bat book for a year?
    Last edited by prepmaster; 02-27-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    It works because she is in the grey, not because she is a pure hero. Her motive for crime fighting/heroism, her abilites are not more special than other existing street level heroes out there (Nightwing, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, etc...). If they want to make Catwoman a hero, why dont they let her join BoP but opt to use Harley instead? Harley has been changed and pushed as a hero. Why couldnt they change Catwoman the same way they changed Harley but instead push Cat away from Bat book for a year?
    ...Because sometimes DC editorial can be paradoxically stupid?

I mean, there was a time when they wanted to put Scott Lobdell on just about every book under the sun, in spite of the fact the Dude was both problematic but also only really competent at writing Jason Todd in a limited capacity.

Yeah, they push Harley like crazy for in books that make no sense when there are other alternatives, but it’s not because they’re any smarter or more aware of what makes a character work. They had Catwoman, Harley, and Ivy in Gotham City Sirens for a while to great success, had Catwoman holding down a successful solo before that as a hero, then promptly dumped that for Judd Winnick to a sexploitation series before deciding the answer was Ann Nocenti, and still only really gave Harley a series once Suicide Squad reminded them of her explosive popularity, and even then nearly sabotaged that by letting someone had her blow up a hospital right before it launched.

There is a LOT of things a character needs good writers and optimal editorial respect to achieve. Catwoman’s had a more vacillating career in that respect than others. Harley’s arguably experiencing a favoritism right now that her fans are hoping doesn’t eventually devolve into a crash, because they’re smart enough to know that’s a possibility.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Also i dont like the way DC just pulled the wedding stunt and still make it not look like a big deal. Why do they have Batman keep pursuing a relationship with a woman who left him at the altar? It makes him look weak. Not only he is a morally compromised crime fighter but also a man without pride.

I wouldn't say man without a pride, nor weak. I'd say a STUD IN LOVE.

Love makes us do stupid things. It's one of it's charms. <3